• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ikon road trip 2024

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Their RV has more of the comforts of home than a "van life" van. And it has some clever tricks to maximize space. They gave several of us the tour last spring.

I saw a Sprinter yesterday with 2 color-matched external lockers attached to the back... one tall, presumably for skis, and one short. That tells me space was tight.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 21 Alpine Meadows was the choice of the day. Lifts were still being affected by the winds with the summit lifts being on hold. Trees had some the softest snow that we could find.
IMG_4163.jpg

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
You just missed the gathering. Nice trip, thanks. You're hitting many of my favorite places. I have been threatening my wife with this same deal in prep for retirement a few (several?) years from now. She might crack eventually. Don't sleep on COOPER, its a cool place just past Tennessee Pass and the best 10th Mtn home marker.

Here's a little support:

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
Thanks for the extra details, much appreciated. Great to hear that you are finding life in the van pretty cushy (it sounds like) albeit with the chores that need to be taken care of.

I love to wander and discover cool new places to hang where the wife searches various web sites to find a place to sleep
Have you found places to just stay by the side of a road or at a trailhead, or do you generally stick to "authorized" spots (whether paid or unpaid)? I'm curious whether (apart from the parking lots) you can find places relatively near to ski areas, or if you sometimes have to be ready to drive further afield to find a spot for the night.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 22 Took the day off skiing to drive around Lake Tahoe. Drove past Emerald Bay on the way to get our propane refilled in South Lake Tahoe. Stopped at Cannablue dispensary for a few goodies. Wife dipped her feet in the water at Sand Harbor SP on the Nevada side. Got some ice cream in King's Beach. Great way to spend a Saturday.
IMG_4171.jpg IMG_4173.jpg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 23 Happy Saint Patricks from the center of the skiing universe. What a great place to spend the holiday. Perfect sun baked spring day at Pali.

Wife and her Godson
IMG_4180.jpg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 24 Our final day of skiing Palihoe. Sweet run of bluebird days for the time that we had to enjoy this magical place. For steep lovers like me this valley has the goods. Sadly we turned the RV East and headed back home. Camped for the night in Lovelock,Nevada at the Rye Patch state rec area just off I-80.

Our Father
IMG_4182.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 25 Travel day to Big Sky. We made it as far Rexburg Idaho. Found a free camping spot next to the Snake River in a public wildlife management area. Watched the sunset as we ate dinner. Big Sky in the morning.

IMG_4185.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
What app/sites are you using to find camping spots?

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 26 Finally after 46 years of skiing I made it to Montana. Found a few of those famous Big Sky rocks lurking under the thin cover. Big long G force building turns ruled the day. We did get to do a few bump runs off the Challenger lift. Friend that toured us around was an instructor here for a few years and is now a private guide for one of the fancy hotels. Even without fresh snow the skeleton here skis great.
IMG_4189.jpeg
Chasing the locals
IMG_4193.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
What app/sites are you using to find camping spots?
iOverlander is the best for free campsites, State Parks and any local RV parks. Harvest Host is another of my Wife’s favorites but that is a membership site.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 27 Little powder day here at Lone Peak with two maybe three inches of new snow thru out the day. Nice density cover that was barely enough to cover the hard surface underneath. A little wetter in the morning with drier snow in the afternoon. The pistachio encrusted Elk chops at dinner was the winner for the day.
IMG_4196.jpeg
Michaelangelo’s for dinner
IMG_4199.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 28 Final Big Sky ski day. Skied some low angle trees over near the YC in the new powder. Total of 5 inches over two days helped to soften things up. We enjoyed the morning then hit the road heading East to stay with friends over in Red Lodge Montana.

IMG_4203.jpeg
IMG_4207.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Day 22 Took the day off skiing to drive around Lake Tahoe. Drove past Emerald Bay on the way to get our propane refilled in South Lake Tahoe. Stopped at Cannablue dispensary for a few goodies. Wife dipped her feet in the water at Sand Harbor SP on the Nevada side. Got some ice cream in King's Beach. Great way to spend a Saturday.
View attachment 230084 View attachment 230085

Day 23 Happy Saint Patricks from the center of the skiing universe. What a great place to spend the holiday. Perfect sun baked spring day at Pali.

Wife and her Godson
View attachment 230087

Day 24 Our final day of skiing Palihoe. Sweet run of bluebird days for the time that we had to enjoy this magical place. For steep lovers like me this valley has the goods. Sadly we turned the RV East and headed back home. Camped for the night in Lovelock,Nevada at the Rye Patch state rec area just off I-80.

Our Father
View attachment 230334
Man I wish we'd connected while you were in our neck of the woods. Not sure how I missed this part of your trip, but we also packed up and left Reno starting last Saturday to work the hall of fame event in Utah.
Really bummed we missed you.

Have fun on the next leg of your journey.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 29 Travel day from Montana to The Black Hills of South Dakota. We stopped at a foggy Mt Rushmore. Landed in a drug store parking lot in Wall,SD for the night. Winter storm day on tap for Sunday.

Mt Rushmore fog
IMG_4219.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 30, 31, 32 and 33 Traveling home at about 500 miles per day. Stayed at the RV factory in Iowa, a Cracker Barrel in Illinois, and a rest area in Jamestown, New York. Hope to arrive in Vermont this afternoon. Travel days without skiing are the worst.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Final stats of cross country ski trip.
33 Days on the road
18 states
19 ski days
8 Different Ikon ski areas
7446 miles travelled
690 Gallons of gas

Cost of trip
Gas at $4 per gallon. $2760
5 night rental in Tahoe $1700
Campgrounds $158
Total $4618

A few thoughts
-Living in a covered wagon criss crossing the country during cold weather is an adventure by itself.
-Wife is 100% all in with this lifestyle as she is the one that pursued buying the RV.
-Spending nearly five weeks away from home on the road skiing is a long time.
-Need to start collecting Social Security to pay the nearly $100 per day gas bill.
-Getting off the couch for a month during ski season and checking out a few different ski areas-Priceless.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats on a safe, successful trip! Enjoyed your report including summary at end.

Suggestion: next year consider the month of April and concentrate on the Ikon mtns known for better spring conditions. There will be fewer crowds at ski areas, Warmer Temps off the slopes, less chance for snowy driving. Maybe better weather to visit some national parks on non-ski days.

I've done a lot of cross country drives and yes our country/continent is huge :)

Sponsor

Staff online