• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Non Region Specific Ikon road trip 2024

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Growing weary of the Eastern ski season we loaded up the best Volkl skis into the covered wagon and headed West. Camped in a church parking lot in Ohio the first night. Winter Park may be the first skiing stop.
IMG_3997.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's been very snowy in Utah all through Feb. I believe there is a healthy snowpack throughout the Rockies. You're coming out at peak conditions. It's going to be fair skies for about three days to assist your crossing the USA, then snow again around Tuesday.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heck, maybe you'll make it to Tahoe for the Gathering.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 2 had us land in La Claire, Iowa to visit the American Pickers store. Boondocked in the driveway of a couple local ski patrollers that live in Battendorf. Love when we get to meet the locals when we travel. Crossing the Mississippi is thrilling every time.
IMG_4003.jpeg IMG_4002.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 3 found us driving around Iowa. Stumbled upon a cool little ski area called Sundown in Dubuque. Wanted to get some turns in Iowa but we ending up passing. Checked out one cornfield that was a baseball field of dreams and another cornfield were the music died. Settled in at Forest City for a couple of days scheduled RV work at the factory service center.
Sundown Resort
IMG_4007.jpeg
Field of Dreams
IMG_4015.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 7 of the trip with a bluebird Winter Park ski day reward. Camped at the brewery in Georgetown overnight driving to the resort by 7:30 in the morning. First day of skiing since we left home. Love every thing about skiing here. Powder day was Tuesday but tons of leftovers. Hanging overnight in the G lot with the other campers. A Basin tomorrow first thing with @ski otter 2.

Under the gondola
IMG_4023.jpeg
Camping in the G lot
IMG_4025.jpeg

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 8 drove over Loveland Pass for an A Bay Day. Enjoyed many laps in The Beavers. Having @ski otter 2 as our guide made for the perfect day. Camped at a trailhead overnight.
IMG_4028.jpeg

Day 9 Cooper Mtn got crossed off my must ski list today. Pulled in the Alpine lot by 7. Showered, dressed and waiting for shuttle bus by 8. Snagged a front row spot in the liftline. Spent the day touring my new favorite Summit County resort. Drove back to Winter Park to hang out for the Powder Day.

IMG_4029.jpeg

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Day 8 drove over Loveland Pass for an A Bay Day. Enjoyed many laps in The Beavers. Having @ski otter 2 as our guide made for the perfect day. Camped at a trailhead overnight.
View attachment 227709

Day 9 Cooper Mtn got crossed off my must ski list today. Pulled in the Alpine lot by 7. Showered, dressed and waiting for shuttle bus by 8. Snagged a front row spot in the liftline. Spent the day touring my new favorite Summit County resort. Drove back to Winter Park to hang out for the Powder Day.

View attachment 227711
Did you get other Mary Jane? Love Winter Park, I'm little bias tho since I ski bummed there 2 seasons early 80's...Bonus pic, Winter Park, 83 ski season, 207 Volk Renntigers (ricetiggers today)..

wp1983.JPG

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Days 9 & 10 At Winter Park with fresh snow every morning. Pretty sweet to wake up to the road grader plowing the parking lot each morning. Parked next to another Ekko from the East coast. Took a short road trip to Hot Sulfur Spirgs, Co to soak in the pools.

IMG_4052.jpeg
Mary Jane Trail
IMG_4061.jpeg

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Spent a day in Winter Park and Copper last March and loved both of them. Took me forever to get down from the top of Winter Park the first time stopping constantly stopping to take in the views. Mary Jane was my favorite trail. Looks like a great trip! I’m flying out Saturday and will probably hit Copper on the way to Snowmass.

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
Days 9 & 10 At Winter Park with fresh snow every morning. Pretty sweet to wake up to the road grader plowing the parking lot each morning. Parked next to another Ekko from the East coast. Took a short road trip to Hot Sulfur Spirgs, Co to soak in the pools.

View attachment 228026
Mary Jane Trail
View attachment 228027
if you are still at wp make sure you slide over to Vasquez Ridge. Great slopes and they finally put a mid load point on the lift to avoid that long runout.

TS
Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Day 11 Planned to return to Copper but turned the RV into Mary Jane for a third Winter Park powder day in a row. Hooked up with a local first chair and he toured us around. I am so thankful that brought my 112 underfoot powder skis as they’ve been getting a workout. Steamboat tomorrow is the plan.
IMG_4069.jpeg
IMG_4071.jpeg

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Day 9 Cooper Mtn got crossed off my must ski list today. Pulled in the Alpine lot by 7. Showered, dressed and waiting for shuttle bus by 8. Snagged a front row spot in the liftline. Spent the day touring my new favorite Summit County resort. Drove back to Winter Park to hang out for the Powder Day
Are you sure you mean Cooper and not Copper? I could see Copper becoming a new fav Summit County resort and I have never been to Cooper, but :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online