IGOSKI - has anyone used these file guides?

Discussion in 'Tuning Techniques and Tool Information' started by Davec1, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Davec1

Davec1 Booting up Skier

I'm needing to get a tuning kit and am working on a very limited budget.

Looking online, there are the usual brands and retailers however, I have seen a few Chinese brands pop up online that are far cheaper than any of the US or Euro gear and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Brands are IGOSKI and XCMan.

The price difference is significant, especially with IGOSKI eg.
    Side edge file guide $10
    3 x brushes $30 (horse hair, nylon, brass)
    Files ~$10
    Roto brushes ~$30.

I'm looking mostly at file guides and brushes to get me started, then use the savings to spend a bit more on some good diamond stones and files.

I thought that the file guides at the very least should be worth a shot given they are just an angled adge to work from?

Do file guides differ dramatically between brands?

I'm keen to hear people's thoughts.

2. Thread Starter
    TS
    Davec1

Davec1 Booting up Skier

Bump

3. François Pugh

François Pugh Out on the slopes Skier

Great White North (Eastern side currently)
    I haven't tried them, but I don't see how they could mess up an aluminum file guide. It is possible to make waxes, brushes, files, diamond stones and irons too "cheap", but a metal guide should be fine.

4. Thread Starter
    TS
    Davec1

Davec1 Booting up Skier

Thanks @François Pugh

I couldn't think of why a simple angle guide should be an issue.

I can't understand why they're so expensive relative to what they are - billet aluminium. Though, I am new to this world of diy tuning. There is undoubtedly plenty more to learn.

5. sparty

sparty Putting on skis Skier

To some degree, I assume the cost has to do with precision. It's really not that big of an issue most of the time—if my 3-degree guide is actually providing a 2.9-degree or 3.1-degree edge, it doesn't matter unless I also want to use another tool or drop them at a shop, etc. That would be my worry with a cheap Chinese guide—"3 degrees" may actually be 2.9, 3.1, or something else not even as close, and I don't really have a way to verify that.

6. Primoz

Primoz Out on the slopes Skier

@sparty I'm pretty sure "cheap chinese guide" and "not so cheap european/US guide" are both produces in same factory somewhere in China. And I'm pretty sure machines pressing and cutting that little piece of metal, even those in China, which are most likely more technically advanced then anything Europeans or Americans ski equipment companies have seen, are more then accurate enough to press and cut perfectly right file guide with tolerances small enough it shouldn't play any role doing your edges.
    What is normally difference between good and bad file guide (not really cheap or expensive) is amount of material. Some are thick, some are super light. You want thick one, as it doesn't bend/deform with us and keeps angle.

7. 1chris5

1chris5 Getting off the lift Skier

I have several xcman edge bevel guides and work fine for me. In fact, I bought two of the same angles I use most frequently and put the files or diamond stones (e.g. medium and fine) in them to try and streamline the process when working on the family quiver.

8. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Getting off the lift Skier

If they don't say "Made in Finland" they're probably made in China anyways and like Primoz says at the same factory.