• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IGOSKI - has anyone used these file guides?

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
I'm needing to get a tuning kit and am working on a very limited budget.

Looking online, there are the usual brands and retailers however, I have seen a few Chinese brands pop up online that are far cheaper than any of the US or Euro gear and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Brands are IGOSKI and XCMan.

The price difference is significant, especially with IGOSKI eg.
Side edge file guide $10
3 x brushes $30 (horse hair, nylon, brass)
Files ~$10
Roto brushes ~$30.

I'm looking mostly at file guides and brushes to get me started, then use the savings to spend a bit more on some good diamond stones and files.

I thought that the file guides at the very least should be worth a shot given they are just an angled adge to work from?

Do file guides differ dramatically between brands?

I'm keen to hear people's thoughts.

TS
D

Davec1

Booting up
Skier
Thanks @François Pugh

I couldn't think of why a simple angle guide should be an issue.

I can't understand why they're so expensive relative to what they are - billet aluminium. Though, I am new to this world of diy tuning. There is undoubtedly plenty more to learn.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @François Pugh

I couldn't think of why a simple angle guide should be an issue.

I can't understand why they're so expensive relative to what they are - billet aluminium. Though, I am new to this world of diy tuning. There is undoubtedly plenty more to learn.

To some degree, I assume the cost has to do with precision. It's really not that big of an issue most of the time—if my 3-degree guide is actually providing a 2.9-degree or 3.1-degree edge, it doesn't matter unless I also want to use another tool or drop them at a shop, etc. That would be my worry with a cheap Chinese guide—"3 degrees" may actually be 2.9, 3.1, or something else not even as close, and I don't really have a way to verify that.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@sparty I'm pretty sure "cheap chinese guide" and "not so cheap european/US guide" are both produces in same factory somewhere in China. And I'm pretty sure machines pressing and cutting that little piece of metal, even those in China, which are most likely more technically advanced then anything Europeans or Americans ski equipment companies have seen, are more then accurate enough to press and cut perfectly right file guide with tolerances small enough it shouldn't play any role doing your edges.
What is normally difference between good and bad file guide (not really cheap or expensive) is amount of material. Some are thick, some are super light. You want thick one, as it doesn't bend/deform with us and keeps angle.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have several xcman edge bevel guides and work fine for me. In fact, I bought two of the same angles I use most frequently and put the files or diamond stones (e.g. medium and fine) in them to try and streamline the process when working on the family quiver.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@sparty I'm pretty sure "cheap chinese guide" and "not so cheap european/US guide" are both produces in same factory somewhere in China. And I'm pretty sure machines pressing and cutting that little piece of metal, even those in China, which are most likely more technically advanced then anything Europeans or Americans ski equipment companies have seen, are more then accurate enough to press and cut perfectly right file guide with tolerances small enough it shouldn't play any role doing your edges.
What is normally difference between good and bad file guide (not really cheap or expensive) is amount of material. Some are thick, some are super light. You want thick one, as it doesn't bend/deform with us and keeps angle.

If they don't say "Made in Finland" they're probably made in China anyways and like Primoz says at the same factory.

Sponsor

Staff online