• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ignorance of skiers code

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My two cents. That looks like a run to me, ungroomed, but still a run. It is not clear from the video shown that the rider did not just enter the run without yielding, or if the skier was behind the rider who did not enter the run without looking. Always leave just enough room at the edge of the run for an errant skier to squeeze by just in case. If you can't see if there is any body there, assume there is and that you may need to avoid him. Stay safe!

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
straw man alert. The skier was not in front of him, he MOVED in front of him. the skier above was perfectly in control until the snowboarder crossed into his path at the last second. You can say he saw him or should have saw him, but obviously he didn't until it was too late.

The correct way to say this, is that the skier above needs to ski slower if there is any possibility that some other skier may come out of nowhere into his path in such a way that he will no longer be able to stop in time.

This is no different then if a car makes a last minute decision to change lanes in front of another car without warning and the person rear ends that person because the environment has suddenly changed in front of him. Doesn't mean the faster driver was "out of control"

You are essentially saying the entire ski run is one big lane and there is no multiple lanes, but that is simply not true, people are getting in numerous virtual lanes on a ski run..they are not marked, but they do it and its fact of skiing on a busy run. to say the faster person was not in control is a fallacious statement. They were perfectly in control, until the rider from below changed the situation suddenly.

Now this implies that according to the ski code, faster skiers should not ever ski fast until they are ready to be able to adjust to just exactly that kind of change, doesn't mean they aren't in control, it means they are financially responsible for people below making last minute dumb ass decisions, legal or not.
Evidently, your understanding of the definition of a straw man is approximately as strong as your understanding of the skiers responsibility code.

stevo

Getting off the lift
Inactive
ok, great...here we go with word salad debating. Go ahead and school me. what form of lying do you call it?

I understand the skier responsibility code just fine thank you. I don't agree with people like you that seem to feel entitled to give everyone outside that code a complete pass on their personal overall responsibility. EVERYONE needs to take responsibility for being safe.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Evidently, your understanding of the definition of a straw man is approximately as strong as your understanding of the skiers responsibility code.

ok, great...here we go with word salad debating. Go ahead and school me. what form of lying do you call it?
Both of you, stop the sniping. Rationale discussions and arguments are fine. Snide comments, challenges, and bravado are not.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
He made quite a few more turns than the video in the OP and are we really comparing a heavily edited video of Candide hitting jumps to some rando straightlining into his buddy. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeez,can’t we just all agree that as usual, the snowboarder is at fault and move on? They are always the baddies and this case is no different. :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. The skiers who can't ski moguls or trees but think they are an "expert" anyway scare me far more than any boarder I've ever encountered. :ogcool:

It is OK to be scared-a basic survival strategy-ALWAYS look up when joining a run/trail. Same goes for road crossing.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't read the skier's code since I was a kid, until this thread.

We could simplify the code significantly, and it would likely have better results.

1. Don't be a d!ck.
2. Stay out of the news.

This is actually my mantra for life in general and I seem to do just fine on the slopes.

Maybe I need to move to Europe...

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
then blamed us for stopping in his line.
Complaining abotu someone being "in my line"
I haven't read the skier's code since I was a kid, until this thread.

We could simplify the code significantly, and it would likely have better results.

1. Don't be a d!ck.
2. Stay out of the news.
This is no good because overtaking skiers will say "They were in my line, they were the dick for skiing slow and turning." Downhill skier has right of way is essential.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is no good because overtaking skiers will say "They were in my line, they were the dick for skiing slow and turning.

I guess we can add rule #3. Don't hang around dicks.

AltaSkier

I stick uphill ice...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess we can add rule #3. Don't hang around dicks.
See Rule #2. Hang around dicks long enough, you will end up on the news. Wasn't there a long thread on here about some on the WROD at Killington recently?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
See Rule #2. Hang around dicks long enough, you will end up on the news. Wasn't there a long thread on here about some on the WROD at Killington recently?

Most skier collisions are neither reported nor news worthy but still can f* you up badly.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had a very similar event happen to me a few years ago. Got hit from behind by a young female boarder. Her comment to me after we untangled ourselves (luckily no injuries) was "You cut me off". So obvious that the Code and rule that downhill skiers and riders have the right of way was something she had never heard of.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The video posted on FB is from the skier's helmet cam and assumedly edited by the skier in a way that shows little more than the last two seconds prior to the collision.

This is what people here and on FB are commenting about.

@Ogg keeps mentioning a longer video but I haven't seen a link to it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If I'm ahead of you it's MY line no matter where I go. When you pass me, it's YOUR line no matter where you go. The idea that there are lanes is wrong. A lane is not the width of my turns as my turns may change due to A) something in the snow B) someone ahead of me C) I feel like making turns of different shapes D) other factors. I try really hard to watch for others ahead of me and what they may or may not do. It's not easy so when someone hits someone else from behind it's easier to say "They cut me off" instead of "I didn't pay enough attention to what they may do when I was behind them."

Just think how easy life would be if the rules were followed: Go in the IN door and out the OUT door (no matter what Led Zeppelin says), stop at stop signs, go the speed limit, know and abide by the CODE.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I had a very similar event happen to me a few years ago. Got hit from behind by a young female boarder. Her comment to me after we untangled ourselves (luckily no injuries) was "You cut me off". So obvious that the Code and rule that downhill skiers and riders have the right of way was something she had never heard of.
This kind of convo is one reason to carry a resort map - it has the Code on it. You can hand it to someone and say "Read this and be more careful."

Frankly, I like the "Park Smart" or whatever it's called info I see on some lift towers and think this should be done with general Code too.

Sponsor

Staff online