• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ignorance of skiers code

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I just came across this reel / thread on the Ikon Pass Facebook group. Apparently there's a longer version of the video out there showing the snowboarder making turns on the run ahead of the skier rather than just the couple of seconds shown in the reel.

Somehow, there's actually a debate in the comments about who is at fault in this situation. People are making comments that the snowboarder is at fault and citing all sorts of made up nonsense, like "snowboarder merged into the skier's lane".

I shouldn't be surprised I guess, but all of the people in that Facebook group own a pass, so for the most part are likely more than just casual skiers - how can so many people be that ignorant? It takes maybe a minute to read and understand the code.

I guess the lesson here is that if this many season pass holders don't know or understand the code, then an even higher percentage of day ticket buyers are probably in the same boat. With that many skiers out there having no clue how to ski safely on slopes they're sharing with others, understanding and skiing in line with the code probably doesn't help much with personal safety. It's a good reminder to ski with a similar assumption to the one a lot of motor cycle riders ride with - assume everyone is trying to kill you and do your best to avoid situations where that can actually happen.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was a long thread on this a couple of years ago. Its been nice this year so far (2 days) of not having a bunch of idiots out there trying to kill others. I still think the pass sellers should require a review and test prior to allowing a person to purchase any pass.

Dfish

Putting on skis
Skier
So the rider was not entering the trail, but was skiing down? hard to tell in the video. I think there is some nuance here yea? Downhill riders/skiers have the right away. And users entering a trail have the responsibility to look uphill. Both are in the code, are they not?

#2 and #4 seem at play here,

1701270689114.png

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I just came across this reel / thread on the Ikon Pass Facebook group. Apparently there's a longer version of the video out there showing the snowboarder making turns on the run ahead of the skier rather than just the couple of seconds shown in the reel.

I think the longer version is needed to be conclusive. With ONLY this short clip to go on, it looks like the boarder is coming out of the trees - creating a merging situation. The skier's code requires a merging skier to check uphill. Could be why there is some dispute as to fault.

If indeed, the boarder was clearly on that trail making turns ahead of the skier, then there is no question.

TS
Wade

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So the rider was not entering the trail, but was skiing down?
Yes, as mentioned in the first post, the boarder was making turns down the trail, not entering the trail.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I hate to sound gearist but it happens more with snowborders because many are surfers.. And the rules/code on the saves is completely different. It's the person catching the wave farther out BEHIND you that has the right of way.. Dude you're in MY line...

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Most skiers are intrinsically biased against snowboarders due to decades old stereotypes. If I was issuing slope licences I'd require all skiers to have done a couple of days on a board before they were signed off as safe.

Can't see the video or comments because faceache but I'd be surprised if there isn't some of that at play. The thread here last year where a skier girl who was apparently blind on her left side hit a snowboarder in front of her had a lot of pretty experienced commenters here attributing blame on the boarder and making all sorts of fanciful arguments about what "ahead" means.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ignorance, willful or not, is just the way people are. People ignore traffic laws - stop signs, traffic lights, speed limits, merging on highways. Bicyclists - don’t get me started. Hell, folks stop in the middle of store aisles and block it to talk with each other, or on their phone, or just to gaze. Hey, what about drone operation?

My point is an awful lot of people don’t, or can’t, or even won’t give a shit. I’m not shocked at behavior like in the video as well as comments that ignore the skier’s responsibility code. I can be pissed off, or sad, or whatever, but I’ve learned to expect that some people are going to operate outside the bounds of codes, rules, laws, and - most significantly - common sense.

Sometimes all you can do is clean up the resultant mess.

OSD

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've given up on expecting people to have even heard of the code, in a crowded arena I just keep my pole points up and out and count on others to self-preserve.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Warning: Pessimist Alert (least it's not in the UT thread)

All of this is not just a skier code problem.....it's just a degradation of society problem. Have you driven "anywhere"?, have you been in a store?, have you been in an airport?, have you been in a school?.....in the past 5 years?

It's kind of to the point that "most of society/all ages" could care less how their actions effect others in "real life"........let alone skiing/boarding on a mountain.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
The code doesn't need to go past #1 and #2 IMO. The rest just adds complexity so people can pretend they weren't at fault.
#3 should be an obvious "duh", but you got way too many people stopped and sitting/hanging out in the middle of the trail, especially on Green and Blue trails.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Warning: Pessimist Alert (least it's not in the UT thread)

All of this is not just a skier code problem.....it's just a degradation of society problem. Have you driven "anywhere"?, have you been in a store?, have you been in an airport?, have you been in a school?.....in the past 5 years?

It's kind of to the point that "most of society/all ages" could care less how their actions effect others in "real life"........let alone skiing/boarding on a mountain.
I was going to say you're over-reacting..but yeah no, you're about right. Generally I find if there is some personal connection at some point there is empathy and understanding eventually..but in the wide anonymous world, it's open season.

Sponsor

Staff online