• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ignorance of skiers code

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This thread.
View attachment 217036

And because I can’t hold this any longer:
There are no ‘lanes’ in skiing! None! ¡Ninguno! Keiner! Aucun! Nessun!

Please provide an accepted reference when you argue with that. Not ‘because I said so.’ TIA
****The snowboarder did that too??^^^ I actually would blame the skier in the OP but..

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would guess the skier was comfortable in being only loosely in control in the back seat because they had (incorrectly) assumed that no one would ever jet in front of them given the relatively uncrowded day due to weather, forgetting that he was in fact skiing with his mates in close proximity. I surmise this happens fairly often. This is all in my head, I readily admit.

And that train wreck ..... was it carrying a load of dead horses?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread.
View attachment 217036

Please provide an accepted reference when you argue with that. Not ‘because I said so.’ TIA

So I was skiing juts the other day-in my lane as you do and other people around also skiing in their lanes and all of a sudden that effing snowboarder coming from nowhere cut everyone off crossing all the lanes and not keeping to his lane for a second, the moron. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Seriously-if they gave me 5 euros every time I witness that, I’d have way more Stocklis.

And also, even if there are no lanes-marked or imaginary, when it is very crowded, you ski within a corridor-the more crowded it is, the narrower the corridor is. Why do you think I NEED SL ski? Because on a normal day it is impossible to go arc-to-arc on anything longer than 12-13 meters. You bring anything longer-your skiing is reduced to steering, skidding and speed checking all the way down. Which is not YUGE fun.
I understand the concept of lanes is foreign to anyone that skis uncrowded mountains but go somewhere crowded on a Saturday morning and you quickly understand the limitations.

Last edited:

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Tips are overrated anyway.
This is your man.Donny Pelletier
Dpt.jpg

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
straw man alert. The skier was not in front of him, he MOVED in front of him. the skier above was perfectly in control until the snowboarder crossed into his path at the last second. You can say he saw him or should have saw him, but obviously he didn't until it was too late.

The correct way to say this, is that the skier above needs to ski slower if there is any possibility that some other skier may come out of nowhere into his path in such a way that he will no longer be able to stop in time.

This is no different then if a car makes a last minute decision to change lanes in front of another car without warning and the person rear ends that person because the environment has suddenly changed in front of him. Doesn't mean the faster driver was "out of control"

You are essentially saying the entire ski run is one big lane and there is no multiple lanes, but that is simply not true, people are getting in numerous virtual lanes on a ski run..they are not marked, but they do it and its fact of skiing on a busy run. to say the faster person was not in control is a fallacious statement. They were perfectly in control, until the rider from below changed the situation suddenly.

Now this implies that according to the ski code, faster skiers should not ever ski fast until they are ready to be able to adjust to just exactly that kind of change, doesn't mean they aren't in control, it means they are financially responsible for people below making last minute dumb ass decisions, legal or not.
first, he didn't come out of nowhere. They were together. 2nd, even in this short video the border and the snow kicked up from his turn can be seen left and just before the tower at the very start. He's on the same "trail" and after that he's either going to turn into the trees, or turn back into the trail, i'd guess he's going to turn back into the trail. as the uphill skier I'd have to adjust to that. The boarder wasn't "entering" or "starting" anything.

Other than being on a snowboard, the guy downhill didn't do anything dumb, and he wasn't sudden, unexplained, unreasonable, out of nowhere etc.
I mean, the "perpetrator" literally admits multiple times he was wrong, yet people still want to defend him? Pretty much the state of the world I guess.
because it justifies their shift in responsibility to someone else so they can ski however they want to.

You know, I don't care about the potential for a "wider" angle than his eyes in the video. #1, I don't buy it. I've been involved with these cameras and in the same situation without or watched later and pretty much every single time, what I saw with my own eyes was far better than what the video took at the same time picked up. and #2, that trail wasn't wide, and picking up someone a tower in front of you isn't difficult unless you can't see. If you can't see, you shouldn't be skiing that fast. But people want to, so they make up things like stay in your lane, he should look up, as if it supersedes the fact that the downhill skier always has the right of way.

It's so simple. Downhill skier has the right of way, no matter what they are doing. Ski accordingly. If everyone followed that rule we'd probably eliminate 99% of collisions on the hill, assuming skiers could actually adhere tot he 1st rule.

or if we want to focus on #4 and people looking up, even though they are already an active skier on the hill, well I can't even guess what that would eliminate because it adds a whole other level of variables. So what if they guy glanced up while turning across in this instance? what's he going to do? stop? as someone else said, at that speed? what if the uphill decided he was going to turn behind the border and was set up to do it and the boarder glances up and stops his turn and then gets blasted still. How can we shift blame in this? He stopped in my lane! LOL

or keep it simple. Avoid skiers downhill and ski in a manner that allows it. It means you can't always ski exactly how you want. Sometimes you have to adjust speed, stop, make a couple quick turns you weren't anticipating etc.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sometimes that happens.^^^

I was skiing a fast groomed trail with my daughter. She was maybe 12. I pulled up hard to check on her. She had gone into the weeds. Meanwhile there was a snow boarder right behind me - flyin low. He went back and forth to choose a way past me. I turned sideways but he hit me anyways - knocked me down.

I skied down to straighten the situation out, I was pissed and he knew it. He started saying Dude, Dude! Then he started dusting my skis off. He was maybe 15 and he was not in line with the code, but sometimes shit happens. Code or no code I played a role in the crash.

SkiBam

Putting on skis
Skier
I think I've told this story before. Two friends of mine (married couple, intermediate skiers) were skiing on a wide blue run, sunny day, good conditions. They were the only two people on the run at that moment, but, yup, managed to collide. She ended up needing treatment for injuries, and he suffered a badly bruised face. Upshot is they don't ski anymore.

East Coast Scott

Getting off the lift
Skier
I teach my kids and grandkids Downhill skier has the right of way. I also teach them self preservation when they are the downhill skier. Even if someone knows the code it doesn't always mean they ski good enough to follow it. I witnessed a foreign lady that couldn't ski well at all crashing all over the place. I stopped 3 different times to show her how to ski in control. She would just tuck like a racer and go until she crashed. Me and my granddaughters were on top of a steep run early in the season and it was the only way down. This lady went into a tuck, started yelling for her life and took a teenage boy right out of his ski's. I mentioned she was foreign because I don't know if she understood a word I was saying. Yes it was her fault, did she know better, most likely not.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
The other day the blue trails on my hill were frozen corduroy, with bit of high water content sticky snowmaking snow mixed in. I don’t mind frozen corduroy but the folks navigating it with random power wedges drove me away to work on some drills on the bunny hill where conditions were excellent.

It’s early days, not worth the collision risk. For those folks the “code” was survive.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday we were skiing a fairly long, blue groomer, one of the few runs open and so not empty. There were HUGE signs at the top of the lift and the top of the run that said "NO STRAIGHTLINING". Nevertheless, a kid, maybe 9 or 10 yo, by himself (no discernable parents), going straight down the hill in a wedge with no edge angles, so insanely fast, brushed by me with inches to spare. Did not make a single turn and was totally out of control. I don't think he could have avoided anything on purpose. The only thing that stopped him was reaching the bottom, which happened to be through the beginner area. Scared the begeebers out of me, so I can't imagine how much he scared anyone on the bunny slope. It is the first time I ever went and reported someone to ski patrol.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I was making shortish turns by some trees at Vail the other day, when someone passed close by (maybe 4 feet) between me and the trees, and said "watch out" as he passed. :nono:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was making shortish turns by some trees at Vail the other day, when someone passed close by (maybe 4 feet) between me and the trees, and said "watch out" as he passed. :nono:

He was talking to the tree.

One of these days, the tree won't hear him and make way.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
This thread.
View attachment 217036

That train accident looks worse than is probably was.

Sponsor

Staff online