• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Yeah I've been skiing in the Twin Cities for 10 years not and I'd say the average last weekend is March 20th. This season will be a bit earlier but it was a mild winter overall and the last 2 weeks have had a lot of sunshine and above freezing temps.
This winter has been remarkably warm. I bought three heavier ski sweaters in December and wore two of the three only once each. We've got no base down here. I was even dodging dirt spots this past weekend in middle Wisconsin.

Final three months of the season are my favorite - come and get it before it melts.

I have to figure it out for next year, but my daughter-in-laws parents have a home in Vermont, but I don't remember where it is. I wonder how close to Killington. The only time I skied out east is one time in New Hampshire, but can't remember the name of the mountain. All I remember is that it was below 0, buying boot muffs for my boots in the lodge, and the snow was really hard and there were no lift lines :).

The post mortum of the season for me is that my boots were an unexpected upgrade. I was afraid that a 130 flex would be too stiff, but you guys talked me into them and I'm so glad that I listened. I learned more about my own skiing, rethinking my stance, and know that even after all these years I there is still more refinement left to do. My approach to teaching had some development this year too, particularly a better understanding and approach to teaching pressure (it only took me 40 years :huh: ) and how my personal "core elements of skiing" began to meld together even more. I am already looking forward to next season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The post mortum of the season for me is that my boots were an unexpected upgrade. I was afraid that a 130 flex would be too stiff, but you guys talked me into them and I'm so glad that I listened. .

A 130 flex in 35 degree weather is considerably softer than a 130 flex in zero degree weather. Just take a look at the racers sitting at the start house on warm spring days with their boots buried in the snow trying to harden them up before their run.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep, in SE Michigan this is the last week for Mt. Brighton. A buddy just pinged me about going to Park City after Easter and I'm inclined to go. Haven't been paying attention to conditions out there though.
PCMR closes on Easter Sunday, April 12. Deer Valley also closed by then. LCC resorts will still be open.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
A 130 flex in 35 degree weather is considerably softer than a 130 flex in zero degree weather. Just take a look at the racers sitting at the start house on warm spring days with their boots buried in the snow trying to harden them up before their run.

While this is true that boots can stiffen up in the cold, it's not like it used to be. At 25° I had to pry my old Salomons off my feet at the end of the day...and they were only rated a 90 flex (I know- different rating than today). And while I haven't skied the new boots in 0° yet, I've skied them a number of times at 20° and they didn't appear to be appreciably stiffer than at room temp. I can adjust the stiffness by buckling the top buckles just a little looser and it really doesn't affect my skiing all that much because I rely on lateral support more than forward leverage from the cuff, though I am utilizing the front of the cuff more in the new Tecnicas more than the Salomons, perhaps because of the smoothness of flex that minimizes stiffness, or at least the feel of it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nubs Nob is skiing really well with a lot of base and bits of fresh stuff coming.
I will be there if the visibility is decent .
Closing on April 6 I think.
Since moving to Tahoe I forgot that most northern Michigan resorts closed by St Patricks weekend, with a few stragglers, like Boyne and Nubs, who always tried to stay open until the first week of April if possible.

Tahoe is hurting for snow this year. The usual May at Mammoth trip may not happen.

TS
vindibona1

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
I skied Welch Village near Minneapolis yesterday and it will be my last day. Temps in the mid 50s and no relief in the foreseeable future. The snow is slush and we won't be getting more. Its a bummer as I expected to get another couple weekends.

Ahh... Welch Village. I remember it fondly. I was there for one of my failed Level III attempts. I was doing great until it snowed 12" overnight and I was a powder neophyte at the time and fell on my face teaching soft snow technique. One day I'll have to share my journey from Level 2 to L3 (it was a long one). Thanks for mentioning Welch.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since moving to Tahoe I forgot that most northern Michigan resorts closed by St Patricks weekend, with a few stragglers, like Boyne and Nubs, who always tried to stay open until the first week of April if possible.
Too much doom and gloom. Boyne, Boyne H, Nubs, Indianhead, Schuss, Crystal, Caberfae, Marquette, Brule and Bohemia all plan to stay open till at least the end of the month.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Perfect North pulled the plug today. Done for the season there.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Too much doom and gloom. Boyne, Boyne H, Nubs, Indianhead, Schuss, Crystal, Caberfae, Marquette, Brule and Bohemia all plan to stay open till at least the end of the month.
I’m not trying to be gloom and doom. I just remember the jiggle jump being around St Patrick’s weekend and usually closing weekend or close to it. After that we’d take day trips to Boyne or nubs

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
Most years Nubs closes the first weekend of April with three feet of snow on the hill. It's lack of customers more than excess of temperatures that pulls the plug. I know some locals who hike and ski into June.

Boyne Mountain and Ski Brule have a schtick where they want to claim honors as the last to close and some years go into May.

Ten day forecast is looking favorable. I'm more worried about Covid-19 ending things early than the weather. But that's a topic for another thread.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know some locals who hike and ski into June.
I think they are either "hiking" to the lake to water ski or they are telling tall tales. The average high temp in May ranges from 65-75 degrees in the northern LP and 60-70 in the UP. Even with abnormally cold weather, snow lasting into June is extremely unlikely.

James

Out There
Instructor
This year Nubs has closed the same day as all of Switzerland.
0A75F8CA-EDF0-486C-84F9-3B20EA262E5B.jpeg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Our hill won't have that many people in Wisconsin. So fresh air on some snow, one last time.

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
I went to Bittersweet ski area yesterday. Snow wasn't terrific, the light was flat, but hey I was skiing and having fun!

Sponsor

Staff online