• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How will Skiing be Different in the '20-'21 Season?

MN_Drew

Putting on skis
Skier
Thought this might be relevant here. Shows how important functional reservation systems are going to be this year. Also how much growth in interest in outdoor recreation is happening right now.

Opening day today at Trollhaugen and they hit capacity and had to cut off ticket sales at 1:30 (opened at noon). Found this photo on Instagram of the ticket line about an hour before they cut it off.

Screenshot_20201025-140300_Instagram.jpg

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Thought this might be relevant here. Shows how important functional reservation systems are going to be this year. Also how much growth in interest in outdoor recreation is happening right now.

Opening day today at Trollhaugen and they hit capacity and had to cut off ticket sales at 1:30. Found this photo on Instagram of the ticket line about an hour before they cut it off.

View attachment 113225
That lift in the background doesn't look like proper social distancing to me. Either that or every one on it is there with other people from their same household. There would be way more singles riding up if they aren't letting bro brahs who aren't really room mates ride up together. With that kind of disregard for safety, skiing will be shut down. That's why we can't have nice things..

Last edited:

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@James supposedly the jackson tram is running I assume with reduced capacity, it will be sanitized multiple times a day. They’re also supposedly using thermal imaging cameras to detect skiers / riders w fevers, in certain places. Also lift lines and mazes are reconfigured to allow for social distancing. I’m sure all of that is subject to change tho. They’re very vague on the actual numbers, how many passes were sold, how many ppl will be allowed on the mountain each day.

Last edited:

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah the line is much more concerning than the actual lift, the odds of getting the virus on a ride up a chair lift is microscopic but get a bunch of maskless people huddled together and it is more concerning. Would have thought places would be ready to deal with crowding better but to be honest this might be a much bigger issue for smaller places than a massive resort that has a ton of infastructure and resources.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's a center pole quad. From other photos I saw it looked like they were seating one guest on each half.

What makes me more uncomfortable are the people in the ticket line without masks...

Yeah, that ticket line is exactly why most ski areas are going to pre-purchased online tickets sales only. Plus: You don't have to drive there, wait in line, and THEN find out that the last available ticket was just sold.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's a center pole quad. From other photos I saw it looked like they were seating one guest on each half.

What makes me more uncomfortable are the people in the ticket line without masks...
Yeah the line is much more concerning than the actual lift, the odds of getting the virus on a ride up a chair lift is microscopic but get a bunch of maskless people huddled together and it is more concerning. Would have thought places would be ready to deal with crowding better but to be honest this might be a much bigger issue for smaller places than a massive resort that has a ton of infastructure and resources.
Yeah, that ticket line is exactly why most ski areas are going to pre-purchased online tickets sales only. Plus: You don't have to drive there, wait in line, and THEN find out that the last available ticket was just sold.

To me the lift having the seats all full isn't the main concern but just a symptom that EVERYTHING else on the other side of the ticket window (also with a sh!tsow COVIDapalooza vibe) is also a colossal risk zone. Imagine the corral to that lift for example. We can't see that, but we can see how they're packing the lift at the other side of it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...but we can see how they're packing the lift at the other side of it.
No you can't... not really. You can't know how many folks came together and how they're therefore loading the lift. "Packing the lift" is not how I'd characterize what we can see either. It's a quad. I don't see any full chairs - most have 2 people, and their policy is singles can ride one on each side. (And that you don't have to ride with anyone if you don't want to.) I don't see any violation of anything on the lift.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No you can't... not really. You can't know how many folks came together and how they're therefore loading the lift. "Packing the lift" is not how I'd characterize what we can see either. It's a quad. I don't see any full chairs - most have 2 people, and their policy is singles can ride one on each side. (And that you don't have to ride with anyone if you don't want to.) I don't see any violation of anything on the lift.
Weird. I can see 8-9 chairs, most appear to have at least 3 on them, a couple with two, and one single. Center pole does help if it's really just two on the ones that look fuller to me. Maybe I need better glasses.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Weird. I can see 8-9 chairs, most appear to have at least 3 on them, a couple with two, and one single. Center pole does help if it's really just two on the ones that look fuller to me. Maybe I need better glasses.
Here's an annotated zoomed in view... I can only make out 4 chairs well enough to see how many people are on them. None of the ones higher up or lower down are clear enough.

1603665013793.png

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Here's an annotated zoomed in view... I can only make out 4 chairs well enough to see how many people are on them. None of the ones higher up or lower down are clear enough.

View attachment 113241
First two looks like 3 to me, 2 left of the pole and one right of the pole. Second 2 up looks like 4 to me, 2 each side of the pole. My eyes suck

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Opening day today at Trollhaugen and they hit capacity and had to cut off ticket sales at 1:30 (opened at noon). Found this photo on Instagram of the ticket line about an hour before they cut it off.

View attachment 113225

That queue for lift tickets is crazy. Pre-purchase is covid 101.

@crgildart I think you do need new glasses.

And whilst you are getting them @crgildart - can you make them rose colored? Agree with much of what you write but it's kind of depressing... Can you make it a tad more upbeat?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That queue for lift tickets is crazy. Pre-purchase is covid 101.

And whilst you are getting them @crgildart - can you make them rose colored? Agree with much of what you write but it's kind of depressing... Can you make it a tad more upbeat?

Haha that's great, as for me..

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I specifically asked Loveland about how they're going to handle single skiers with their lifts. I was told that they will be loading chairs with a seat between members outside of your party. So 2 singles on a triple, a couple and a single on a quad, etc. This seems to fly in the face of the state guidelines though... :huh:
I called Loveland to ask about this Friday, but with all that was going on, decided to wait to post this.

The man I talked to told me they would never force or pressure us to go up on any lift with anyone, and I could always go up single for distancing reasons. Always.

Whew. A relief.

Hooray for Loveland, eh, @jmeb?

His voice was really slow and kind. He said they'd been humbled by all that was happening, so much change so quickly. The weather. Covid. A fire just over the ridge. The problem of how to tell hikers the area was closed to the public. The problem of getting a variance to continue to prep for ski season.
(Probably no longer a problem now, given all this snow, and cold.)

Pretty weird, we both agreed.

I told him I would probably avoid weekends and peak days out of consideration for families and young folk who could only ski then.

He told me that it was okay if I came then, that young people could always learn a bit of patience, if there was more of a line. (He was obviously a young person himself.)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Hooray for Loveland, eh, @jmeb?

A central reason I can justify volunteering a large amount of my time for a for-profit private company comes down to it's leadership. I've been very impressed by the choices they are making in response to this and the prep they are putting into their new standard operating procedures. Much of this guidance is coming directly from the areas medical directors/consultants that work at a large regional hospital in the emergency dept, ICU, and public health arms. Frankly -- I trust those docs more than most other sources for what are appropriate precautions for a disease they've been fighting daily for months.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
whats the deal with the name of "trollhaugen" beeing norwegian that sounds 100% norwegian, and not american, also nobody seems to be able to pronounce it :p

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
whats the deal with the name of "trollhaugen" beeing norwegian that sounds 100% norwegian, and not american, also nobody seems to be able to pronounce it :p

It's in MN -- which was largely settled by you Scandinavian folks. And you can still commonly find many Swedish and Norwegian "delicacies" up there you won't see almost anywhere else in the US.

Capture.PNG

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's in MN -- which was largely settled by you Scandinavian folks. And you can still commonly find many Swedish and Norwegian "delicacies" up there you won't see almost anywhere else in the US.

View attachment 113368
Actually in Wisconsin, just across the border a little ways..

Sponsor

Staff online