• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Perhaps you and @mdf can have a contest to see who is more deserving of this.

View attachment 96693
maxresdefault-2[1].jpg

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Its hard to get a good picture of just what the OP is referring to. They are bumps but they are not bumps. Yet described as almost nothing more than piles of heavy slush.

So im confused a bit. I mean why even ski bumps (if we can call them that) in such lousy slushy conditions? How much fun can it really be if its that bad as to be implied as piles of slush?

I skied yesterday on slushy conditions. It was a bit of a pain in the butt. No moguls per say but just groomers and was more than enough to deal with. Moving my balance point in order to free up the tips above the snow and be able to make better turns, But then areas would change from slush to more normal snow and back to slush again on the same run and in the same line and then also would be smoother but then bumpy and back again. Speed would change and balance point for turning and control changed. Lets just say adjustments were needed very frequently as you moved along. kept you thinking or perhaps better said it kept you on your toes (as for general elevated level of awareness). That was in itself sort of fun or at least kept things interesting. But I cant imagine that being all the much fun in mogul specific terrain. But I suppose it just depends how slushy we are talking. I mean when things are boiler plate hard its not much fun so when things are that slush (the opposite of Boiler plate) not much fun either. No?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Its hard to get a good picture of just what the OP is referring to. They are bumps but they are not bumps. Yet described as almost nothing more than piles of heavy slush.

So im confused a bit. I mean why even ski bumps (if we can call them that) in such lousy slushy conditions? How much fun can it really be if its that bad as to be implied as piles of slush?

I skied yesterday on slushy conditions. It was a bit of a pain in the butt. No moguls per say but just groomers and was more than enough to deal with. Moving my balance point in order to free up the tips above the snow and be able to make better turns, But then areas would change from slush to more normal snow and back to slush again on the same run and in the same line and then also would be smoother but then bumpy and back again. Speed would change and balance point for turning and control changed. Lets just say adjustments were needed very frequently as you moved along. kept you thinking or perhaps better said it kept you on your toes (as for general elevated level of awareness). That was in itself sort of fun or at least kept things interesting. But I cant imagine that being all the much fun in mogul specific terrain. But I suppose it just depends how slushy we are talking. I mean when things are boiler plate hard its not much fun so when things are that slush (the opposite of Boiler plate) not much fun either. No?

You need a better wax job and lots more skillz. Easy fixes.

Reactions: Ogg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

If they are less than knee high, I don't call them bumps.
Skiing piles of slush is a blast with my Volants. It is actually fun, except for the part where you hit an exceptionally wet part and the suction brakes come on; that can be very annoying, but not annoying enough to make the experience on the whole not fun.

As for skiing frozen deeply rutted slush with SL skis, well patrollers don't choose the weather; they just ski what they get.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I assume you are talking about Blue Mtn PA and remember skiing closing day there a few years ago. Same conditions as you are describing plus all cut up and choppy, but not pure slush. I'd say it was a revelation in improving control of my balance point. Good for you conditions, not good conditions. I was skiing the same if slightly better conditions part of last week at Killington. It took some time, but the control and balance came back to me. As mentioned above, a good wax job made it easier.

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
Steeper slopes are another good option for skiing chopped up spring conditions as you can let gravity share the load.

Point them then enjoy them.

Pics are late April Killington on Outer Limits.

20160326_113207[1].jpg
20160326_113204[1].jpg

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
You need a better wax job and lots more skillz. Easy fixes.
I didnt say that it was a real big struggle to ski but only that it was a bit annoying to keep the constant adjusting to adapt as we moved along in the quickly changing condition in relatively short distances. Once realized and accepted that it was the basic condition of the day it wasn't such any surprise anymore. So you just got use to it. But I still would rather it not been like that. It's not any condition I'd brag about in a positive way if anyone asked how it was and wanted to go ski.

Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I assume you are talking about Blue Mtn PA and remember skiing closing day there a few years ago. Same conditions as you are describing plus all cut up and choppy, but not pure slush. I'd say it was a revelation in improving control of my balance point. Good for you conditions, not good conditions. I was skiing the same if slightly better conditions part of last week at Killington. It took some time, but the control and balance came back to me. As mentioned above, a good wax job made it easier.

Lol I was at Blue for closing yesterday and it sure does sound like those conditions. Went from ice to hero snow to slop in a matter of hours. I had fun all morning but after lunch hit razors and then nightmare/dream weaver and felt like I was skiing in a slushy. Made one last run and that was enough.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lol I was at Blue for closing yesterday and it sure does sound like those conditions. Went from ice to hero snow to slop in a matter of hours. I had fun all morning but after lunch hit razors and then nightmare/dream weaver and felt like I was skiing in a slushy. Made one last run and that was enough.
actually switchback kind of settled in nicely conditions wise because its shadowed. It stayed icy too long in the morning but then when all else got sloppy it was the most consistent later on. Razor was real hard in morn but we actually finished up repeating that majority of the afternoon with a few switchbacks mixed in.
It was definitely a strange day conditions wise but honestly when i think of it, Id rather have the mixed conditions containing some slop vs having rock hard. So in that sense it was a positive.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I didnt say that it was a real big struggle to ski but only that it was a bit annoying to keep the constant adjusting to adapt as we moved along in the quickly changing condition in relatively short distances. Once realized and accepted that it was the basic condition of the day it wasn't such any surprise anymore. So you just got use to it. But I still would rather it not been like that. It's not any condition I'd brag about in a positive way if anyone asked how it was and wanted to go ski.

A pair of FIS SL with some HF10BWX will slice and dice that stuff with aplomb.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
A pair of FIS SL with some HF10BWX will slice and dice that stuff with aplomb.
Im big, tall, heavy. I create a lot of force and stored energy. Changing conditions rapidly in just yards of distance is never all that smooth.....lol

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Spring skiing is very forgiving regarding ski choice. They are all good. That said, the wider the ski, the more important the choice of wax. I know the Swix HF10BWX I mentioned is $$$. Their F4 is good low cost alternative. It is soft enough to crayon without preheating. Iron it on and it will last couple days. 60 grams will last a long time.

When it come to variable snow, the trick is to NOT push the limits. Find the peace within and try to ski at about 60%. Dialing it back will result in better balance on ski. Allows for smoother transition between different types of snow. Especially with a round turn.

I love spring skiing and I do a lot of it. Last season skied literally everyday in April and May. Great season.
Not happening this year. I did get several days of good spring mush at crystal before they shut it all down.
Here to next year. A better season. :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online