• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skiwv

Booting up
Skier
I think really the worse it gets, the more you just try to keep your balance and hope your knees survive the run.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
It's not that the heavy, cruddy, bumpy snow sucks, it's that your skiing sucks and the cruddy snow proves it. ;)

(sorry couldn't resist and surprised it hadn't already been posted... it's the standard Epic/Pug response after all)

That's the kind of macho bullshit that will put you in the hospital.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Crudology video looks fun, although that snow doesn't look really "heavy" to me.
Yeah, this was commented about when it was first released. Let's see some real crud!
Perhaps their skiing just makes it look lighter than it really is.... I don't know. But I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's the kind of macho bullshit that will put you in the hospital.
Sounds like you're completely unfamiliar with the "standard" Epic/PugSki response from the past 15 years. This isn't something I created... but I wish I did!

The original quote, I think, was in response to the skiers who think of themselves as experts, despite saying that they can't ski bumps (or don't ski bumps). The response a lot of people liked, that became a meme, was "It's not that you can't ski bumps, it's that you can't ski, and the bumps prove it." In gentler terms, skiing bumps can reveal deficiencies in technique that affects all of your skiing, not just your bump skiing.

The meme part became things like "it's not that you can drive in snow, it's that you can't drive, and the snow proves it", or "it's not that you can't bake pastries, it's that you can't bake, and the pastries prove it"... etc., etc.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The original quote, I think, was in response to the skiers who think of themselves as experts, despite saying that they can't ski bumps (or don't ski bumps). The response a lot of people liked, that became a meme, was "It's not that you can't ski bumps, it's that you can't ski, and the bumps prove it." In gentler terms, skiing bumps can reveal deficiencies in technique that affects all of your skiing, not just your bump skiing.

The meme part became things like "it's not that you can drive in snow, it's that you can't drive, and the snow proves it", or "it's not that you can't bake pastries, it's that you can't bake, and the pastries prove it"... etc., etc.
Imo, the meme is pretty universal and you could substitute ice, powder, running gates etc. and it would still be accurate. If it gets you bent out of shape you need to take a good look in the mirror. If you can’t admit your own deficiencies you will never improve them.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think skis built like the Rossi Scimitar, which I own,or the Nordica Steadfast, both twin tips can really make conditions like that a lot more enjoyable.Both are solid in the middle and the tips and tails don’t get in the way,,,,,for me of course.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I suggest plan B.
Trying to ski in heavy, sloppy piled snow is a great way to get hurt and is never fun.
The forces get huge and the snow is waiting to take one of your skis in a bad direction.
Go to the Bar!

If you come to ski in the PNW/coast range BC, you're going to have a big bar tab. :)

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
1604544_10202416865094779_14245848_n.jpg

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Trying to ski in heavy, sloppy piled snow is a great way to get hurt and is never fun. The forces get huge and the snow is waiting to take one of your skis in a bad direction.
Go to the Bar!
Not so fast. We ski on wet piles of corn the entire month of May. And we go to the bar. Hence the solution is inclusive, not exclusive.
Heavy, wet, goopy crud
Goopy? Like sheetrock compound? Ok, now I'm going to the bar.
You need both, IMO. Finding an appropriate balance between power and finesse in tough conditions is something we all should strive for.
Max power and max finesse. Weak and sloppy is no way to go through life. Warp factor 3, Scotty.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Lots of good stuff in here, especially about core usage. I find that speed helps me in crud/chop. Speed and adjusting turn shape so skis are never moving truly across the hill. Thats just me though, ymmv.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Lots of good stuff in here, especially about core usage. I find that speed helps me in crud/chop. Speed and adjusting turn shape so skis are never moving truly across the hill. Thats just me though, ymmv.

I agree and it is that speed thing that makes skiing in real slop dangerous.
When I start seeing carve marks that are 6" deep, I quit.
More than power or finesse slop skiing at speed requires total concentration.
Ruts and what not are constantly trying to kick your skis out of line and when you are on plane they don't have a lot of directional stability.
One lapse in concentration, let that inside ski wander a bit and things go bad in a hurry.
Fun to watch from the bar though when the macho men get sucked in.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online