• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How can the individual detect when they are on "Too Much Ski"?

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I have been skiing for 60 years!!! (said to me yesterday when someone who is much shorter than me wanting to buy poles too long...because thats the size he has skied with for 60 years)
I've worked with guys who bragged about their 20 years of experience. I soon found that they actually had 1 year of experience repeated 20 times.

I find I'm putting so much pressure through my foot that the ball of the foot and/or arch starts to ache like crazy
We shouldn't have to force our skis to perform for us. Technique or equipment? Can you find a way to demo your same skis one size shorter & softer? Or demo any skis similar to yours, different sizes of the same model on back to back runs? That really shows what's happening.

What boot stiffness? That's like asking how much salt to put into the soup. Everyone has their preference. I like a stiff boot. It gives something to lever against when I need to get re-centered, and they have faster reactions when I send movements to the skis. Some fine skiers I've known like softer boots. Suited their style. A friend has had great results with Nordica Speedmachine boots. Fit him just right. He needed a new pair, the shop had a sale, but only in a stiffer flex. He bought those and liked the stiffer boots. He had no thought of changing that, but it improved his skiing. If you feel like yours are too soft, they probably are. And, to complicate everything, there are no standards for the flex numbers. One company's 120 is not the next company's 120, etc.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think a lot of too much/too little ski has to do with where you want to be efficient and where you are willing to work harder. Bigger skis are more efficient at speed, bigger open lines, and in inconsistent snow conditions. Smaller skis are more efficient in shorter turns, smaller more technical lines, where the snow is generally good, and at moderate speeds.

Skiing lots of small technical lines is a lot of work on a big ski. Hauling ass on a short ski through chop can be harrowing. Just depends where and how you want to ski it, and especially what you bring to the table as a skier.

MBF67

Booting up
Skier
Simple answer - skis slip instead of carve when you turn. If you can’t make them carve cleanly, dial it back.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Simple answer - skis slip instead of carve when you turn..

...or don't turn or slip at all.

What it comes down to for me is whether or not you can bend them into an arc with whatever speed, expertise, and technique you are capable of.

James

Out There
Instructor
How can the individual detect when they are on "Too Much Ski"?

K2 used to have a little light that came on. I suppose if you never saw the light, the ski was too much. Of course to see the light you had to be skiing in the woods at 3:30pm on December 21st.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If the ski skis you instead of the other way around - you are on too much ski.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

K2 used to have a little light that came on. I suppose if you never saw the light, the ski was too much. Of course to see the light you had to be skiing in the woods at 3:30pm on December 21st.

And not have a used pair with broken wires inside. And not be looking where you were going.

Sponsor