• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
For me stepping down the way he did, when he was still one and only one, is best thing anyone could do. I'm sure it's not easy, hell it wasn't easy for me to quit racing, and my results were probat something he beat when has was 6, and that's why I somehow understand acers that keep on going. But finishing such career when on top and healthy is awesome.
But yeah, he will be missed.... big time. I don't really imagine eace without him, but we will have to

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
When he made the comment that he never missed ONE WC start due to an injury, it really sunk in with me. He had the one injury, the ankle fracture, in that late summer, and he still started at Soelden.

That's pretty remarkable, to say the least. I just had a friend, a recently retired WC skier, text me and his comment was "MH has been miserable for some time. Dreaded doing press conferences after a win..." Not sure if I totally buy into that. If so he hid it pretty well.

Agree with everybody else. As Primoz says ^^^^^ : "Yeah, he will be missed....big time."

Have loved watching him ski, since his young years, his first Junior Worlds.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me stepping down the way he did, when he was still one and only one, is best thing anyone could do. I'm sure it's not easy, hell it wasn't easy for me to quit racing, and my results were probat something he beat when has was 6, and that's why I somehow understand acers that keep on going. But finishing such career when on top and healthy is awesome.
But yeah, he will be missed.... big time. I don't really imagine eace without him, but we will have to
Agree completely! Good for him. Realistically what more could he do that would surpass what he’s already accomplished?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This tweet from Mikaela
Follow up tweet replies from her.
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 3.47.26 PM.png

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Every WC skier, active and retired, who has an Instagram account {which means ALL of them} has posted congratulations. EVERY national governing body active on social media has done the same. Many coaches have. Many ski companies {other than Atomic} have posted. It's pretty amazing. I have probably "liked" 50+ posts, at the least.

He will be missed by all. His contributions are appreciated by all. Sad to see the retirement, but nice to see thei outpouring of well wishes.

My favorite post was by Canadian WC skier Dustin Cook, who said that when he skied SL "against" MH at the Junior Worlds, he decided to give up SL after the event! They evidently we not too close! No more SL if it involved racing against guys like Marcel.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I have the utmost respect for his decision. It isn't easy to choose not to race. I can only imagine what it is like to retire at the top of your form.

MH, congratulations on a tremendously successful career and may your good health allow you a long and happy retirement.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Congratulations Mr. Hirscher!
Thanks for the years of exceptional performance

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
On the one hand, it is a sad day because Marcel has always been a pure joy to watch, and I will definitely miss his skiing. On the other, I am glad that he is brave and smart enough to make a decision that he feels is right, even though it is very unusual among professional athletes. It is great that he retires young and healthy, and I wish him all the best in his retirement.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Current odds from a couple of betting sites, on the Men's World Cup winner for this season :

upload_2019-9-4_22-46-29.png

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He’s up there with Ingemar. One of the greatest of all time. I honestly believed that he would give it one more season, but started to doubt when he said end of last season that there was nothing fun about racing anymore, just pressure. But he has given more than anyone could ask for already many seasons ago. I wish him and his family all the best.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's often said that "records are made to be broken". What Marcel Hirscher accomplished in World Cup ski racing could well disprove that statement. His racing success was nothing less than incredible.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Sorry to see him go. Interesting to think about this decision to retire at the peak. It's a sport where the risk of injury, including major, disabling injury, is pretty high. And he gets to go out confident in his place among the very few contenders for the "greatest ever" title. Pretty impressive, and a move that seems to make sense.

Sponsor

Staff online