• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Considering today is not 1st of April (or did I miss something? ), this article looks super weird.
https://mobil.krone.at/1987313
Hirscher is going to have his press conference only next Wednesday (4.9.),where he will tell if he's done or he will continue for another year, but this article tells all is over,and he finished his career.
On end of last season I was pretty sure, we are watching him ski for last time, at least competitively, but through the summer I wasn't so sure yet. But regardless on that, having article like this few days before press conference is super weird, especially as I'm pretty sure Hirscher wouldn't give this info out to some reporter just like that.
Oh well we will see soon :)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks @Primoz I saw a similar article yesterday & was going to begin a thread but it was in German & I was sidetracked before I could translate.
I guess after all the speculation last season this won't be a huge surprise.
We will be sad to see him go. Not sure I can get excited about HK being the heir apparent.
DAA17B91-34DF-4A48-9CD8-4E9B214BB13A.jpeg

From NBC
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/08/30/marcel-hirscher-announcement/

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Considering today is not 1st of April (or did I miss something? ), this article looks super weird.
https://mobil.krone.at/1987313
Hirscher is going to have his press conference only next Wednesday (4.9.),where he will tell if he's done or he will continue for another year, but this article tells all is over,and he finished his career.
On end of last season I was pretty sure, we are watching him ski for last time, at least competitively, but through the summer I wasn't so sure yet. But regardless on that, having article like this few days before press conference is super weird, especially as I'm pretty sure Hirscher wouldn't give this info out to some reporter just like that.
Oh well we will see soon :)

What does the article say? It's in German.

The story that @Primoz posted auto-translates for me in Chrome. It is significantly different than the NBCSports article although the gist is the same.

TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@James basically it says that on Wednesday Hirscher will announce his retirement. While it's perfectly fine to write that in sort of speculative way, but article is written like this is proven and 110% accurate info, pretty much like Hirscher had private interview with them telling them this for certain, which I'm pretty sure he didn't. That's the only weird thing with article for me. We are were speculating on this for last few years already, but speculation is one thing, writing article like it's all true and confirmed, several days before he will really reveal what he will do, and maybe, I know not very likely but still, he might announce he will go for one more year, is a bit weird for me. Especially as Krone is not really all that on tabloid side but more like serious newspaper.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Since is it not routine for Hirscher to hold a nationally televised press conference on the eve of a WC season, sadly, I’m guessing it’s retirement.

TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Cheizz he was never, ok at least in recent years, one of those who ski pretty much 12months a year. He stayed in Europe most of reče t years starting with ski training in late August/early September, so not much difference to this year. And he was never posting much about ski training earlier either.

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The post from Kronen Zeitung says it is true without actually providing any evidence for such a claim. Maybe they have an insider they cannot name. Anyway, a post today in derstandard.at reported that Hirscher’s spokesperson says he (spokesperson) does not confirm this and no media has spoken with Hirscher .

Personally, I have always expected (with no basis whatsoever) he will retire, but in the absence of any on the record statements from anyone close to Hirscher, it looks to me like Kronen Zeitung has made an educated guess as to the most likely outcome and reported it as a fact. Unfortunately I still think he is retiring and if so will very much miss watching him race.

James

Out There
Instructor
It would be hilarious if he announced on Wednesday he’s going to continue. I’d imagine the press conference will get big ratings in Austria?

TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@BrianB that's exactly what's really weird for me with this article. It's like it's 100% sure and it's confirmed info, even though it's not. I'm sure there's few people who know this already for sure, but as far as I know most of these guys, they are professional enough, that they wouldn't run to some reporter tell that, so I would dare to bet it's all pure speculation and nothing else, but it certainly reads like they have confirmation and all is pure and confirmed fact. And yeah, it would be hilarious, as @James wrote, if he would say on Wednesday, he's going for another year :D

BrianB

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Press conference Wednesday @2:15 pm Eastern time, prime time broadcast in Austria. Not Austrian but based on the numbers of comments in the Kronen Zeitung article and elsewhere, big ratings are probably to be expected.

TS
Primoz

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
And now it's official. We won't, see probably greatest skier of all time, racing anymore.

Not Austrian but based on the numbers of comments in the Kronen Zeitung article and elsewhere, big ratings are probably to be expected.
Not 100% on this but there are supposed to be elections in Austria in next few weeks, and there were pre-election duels scheduled for today evening starting at 20:00 on first programe of national tv....guess what, they were rescheduled to start later after Marcels press conference. Only in Austria, but it's super cool to get those politicians ego down, showing them there's more important things then few dicks screwing each other :)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Watching the press conference. Pretty interesting, but no surprises.

Keep in mind, he said three years ago, that he would not be doing this at the age of 30.

He's healthy and he is the king. Going out on top. Wish him the very best, and thank him for having given we fans if the sport so much pleasure, so much fun.

He's competitive as hell, but a class act.

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Very sad for fans and the sport, he has really been something else to watch. The coming years won’t be nearly the same without him. Hopefully a new talent or rivalry will emerge from the pack. HK is a great skier, but less charismatic and less seemingly superhuman than Hirscher.

Sponsor

Staff online