• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Here is a great article on Aspen's Ski School

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I know exactly what you mean. After about 30 years of going to Vail and BC (and Breck) I am done with those places after this season. They have turned into a complete circus most days. Yes there are some mellow and uncrowded days which are great but they are getting more and more scarce. I know Aspen has a rep of being only for the ubber rich but there are probably somewhat more affordable options. I mean, Vail Resorts are not exactly cheap. The properties there are (or were) good investments because even if the property manager takes 50% the rental revenues are huge. If you DIY and hire locally the revenues are pretty substantial. As long as people keep going and paying! But I rather ski somewhere else and Aspen looks like it is amazing while still having good access from the front range.
Your definition of "good access" differs from mine.
I can make it to Vail from Golden in 1:20, no sweat (depending on weather and traffic). I have to add more than two hours to that to make it to Aspen.
For those of us still tied to Denver, that's a deal killer.
If Aspen were an hour or two closer, I would be there too.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Your definition of "good access" differs from mine.
I can make it to Vail from Golden in 1:20, no sweat (depending on weather and traffic). I have to add more than two hours to that to make it to Aspen.
For those of us still tied to Denver, that's a deal killer.
If Aspen were an hour or two closer, I would be there too.

I agree. But if Aspen were closer it wouldn't be Aspen. I also drive from the Denver area quite a bit. If its just for skiing I usually stop at Loveland. Fun place and mellow. But yeah, hard to beat the convenience of Vail, right on i70.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was teaching in Aspen for a few weeks in January and was really impressed with the ski school and the mountain in general. Some great instructors there and seemingly a good ethos behind the school too.

Sponsor

Staff online