• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Here is a great article on Aspen's Ski School

Annie Black

Booting up
Instructor
Four years ago I left Vail Resorts for Aspen. I had never wanted to depart Summit County and the amazing friends, family, and Rocky Mountains that I grew to know and adore. After 36 plus years it was difficult to exit but it made sense to make the move to a place where my students and I felt safe and respected. I was hesitant to depart my familiar surroundings to start all-over establishing new ski clientele, grasping new territory, and making a new home at the ripe old age of almost 60. HOWEVER, since that decision to move over 4 years ago I have documented at least 112 reasons why it was 'time to go' and why I selected Aspen, CO for my new dwelling place.

Bob Barnes and Mike King are absolutely absolutely correct. I feel a sense of "rejuvenation" here in Aspen but not just as ski and bike pro. The town itself offers amazing diversity, even to non-skiers. Come check it out!

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
Wow--first Kevin, and now another star of screen and snow! Hi Annie!

For those who don't know Annie, that's her in the title frame of the video I linked to a few posts back, ripping it up in the Temerity Woods at Aspen Highlands. She and I (and Mike as well) are transplants from many years at "the darkside" (at one point, Keystone was a jewel of an independent resort, and had a great ski school, before it became part of the "empire"; I still have fond memories of it, and it still has some great skiing if you know where to find it and get lucky with the snowfall).

Good to see you here, Annie. Perhaps I'll stick around more myself now!

Best regards,
Bob

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Four years ago I left Vail Resorts for Aspen. I had never wanted to depart Summit County and the amazing friends, family, and Rocky Mountains that I grew to know and adore. After 36 plus years it was difficult to exit but it made sense to make the move to a place where my students and I felt safe and respected. I was hesitant to depart my familiar surroundings to start all-over establishing new ski clientele, grasping new territory, and making a new home at the ripe old age of almost 60. HOWEVER, since that decision to move over 4 years ago I have documented at least 112 reasons why it was 'time to go' and why I selected Aspen, CO for my new dwelling place.

Bob Barnes and Mike King are absolutely absolutely correct. I feel a sense of "rejuvenation" here in Aspen but not just as ski and bike pro. The town itself offers amazing diversity, even to non-skiers. Come check it out!
Welcome Annie.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Hi Annie. As always, its great to see you.

Wow--first Kevin, and now another star of screen and snow! Hi Annie!

Good to see you here, Annie. Perhaps I'll stick around more myself now!

Best regards,
Bob
We're counting on it.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
What a great thread! Very nice to hear from from pros who love what they do, and where they live. It speaks highly of so many things, from the beauty of the area {year round} to the strong community, to the great organization that SkiCo is under the Crown family's ownership...and stewardship. As an infrequent, but long time visitor from the East, I love Aspen.

I have family, including our adult kids, in a number of CO mountain towns {including one at the big truck stop on I-70, and actually, Aspen}. Let's say that Aspen wins, hands down. In every respect but cost, which is a huge concern. No matter how wired in you are,etc., the cost keeps going up and availability down. All the way down valley.

I hope the "salt of the earth" folks aren't completely priced out! Please tell me they aren't. IMO, they are the fabric of the pace.

Full Moon tonight? Skinning? Such a great place!

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marcia and I make an annual trip to Aspen/Snowmass since the ESAs -- we always have a great time and love the ambiance, especially when you know some folks that spend the winter there ogwink. I will echo what everyone here has said, and look forward to our next visit. Which is 1-14-2017 to 1-21-2017... I hope and expect to see the usual folks there, and hope to lure some of the Colorado Crew there while we are in town.

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
J & E--we have room for two more even if the Empire doesn't take over Stowe!

Sounds like you guys are off to a good start with snowfall this season, though. Much deserved. Enjoy!

Best,
Bob

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I second, third and fourth everything Bob, Annie and Mike have said. It is a tremendous amount of fun to be part of Aspen/Snowmass. Mike King and I are both Breckugees (there actually is a name for those of us formerly employed at Breck and the number is growing)

There is a large percentage of female instructors which is great.

I have been able to ski with some phenomenal people in clinics and in informal groups. Everyone is very supportive and helpful. A great place to improve your game!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nancy, Bob, Weems, Mike, Annie....we have quite a contingent of Aspen instructors on this site. :toast

Annie Black

Booting up
Instructor
I tried to comment on this dialogue yesterday but my words have vanished? Anyway, ... ditto Mike's and Bob's written comments above! After 36 plus years with Vail Resorts I chose to leave the friends and mountains that I knew and adored for Aspen. My students' and my safety were compromised all too often on the slopes of Keystone and Breckenridge. I've documented over 112 reasons "WHY ASPEN" including the fact that I-70 road rage was contaminating the slopes of Summit County and Vail. Come see for yourself and help me add more reasons to live here in Aspen!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Annie Black , your words didn't vanish. They're at the top of this page, Post #21.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen is a wonderful place. That's why we had the Gathering there last year!
I had a good lesson at Aspen Highlands the year before. Weems did the class assignments. I forget my instructors name, but I'm sure it was in my trip report -- I liked him and the lesson.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My students' and my safety were compromised all too often on the slopes of Keystone and Breckenridge. I've documented over 112 reasons "WHY ASPEN" including the fact that I-70 road rage was contaminating the slopes of Summit County and Vail.

I know exactly what you mean. After about 30 years of going to Vail and BC (and Breck) I am done with those places after this season. They have turned into a complete circus most days. Yes there are some mellow and uncrowded days which are great but they are getting more and more scarce. I know Aspen has a rep of being only for the ubber rich but there are probably somewhat more affordable options. I mean, Vail Resorts are not exactly cheap. The properties there are (or were) good investments because even if the property manager takes 50% the rental revenues are huge. If you DIY and hire locally the revenues are pretty substantial. As long as people keep going and paying! But I rather ski somewhere else and Aspen looks like it is amazing while still having good access from the front range.

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
Impressive, thought-provoking commentary from Mike Kaplan, President and CEO of Aspen Skiing Company, on the aspensnowmass.com website (also published in the Aspen Times, Aspen Daily News, and Post Independent newspapers):
We are still here. (click on the link)

An excerpt:

"They [the 10th Mountain Division] risked their lives fighting back against human beings’ darkest instincts. At the very least, we should make clear that we’re worthy of that effort, that we stand as bastions of tolerance and civility. That idea, lofty as it may seem, has taken on resonance after the divisiveness and aftermath of the presidential election.
<snip political commentary>

It’s on these issues I want to make a few things clear: Aspen Snowmass, as a destination, and Aspen Skiing Company, as a place of business with nearly 4,000 employees, has always been and will always remain dedicated to tolerance, open-mindedness, environmental sustainability, and civility. This includes doing our very best to work with the new federal administration. My words here are not a broadside against Trump. Rather, they take issue with some specific aspects of his campaign and policy direction.

"We are a place where people of all ethnicities, religions, genders, and races — and that includes white working-class males — come together to celebrate life, the mountains, and being together with family and friends. What differentiates Aspen Snowmass is that we add one particular ingredient to the mix: the notion that by introducing people to ideas, art, and education in the exact place where they are most receptive to new thinking, they can return to their homes inspired, perhaps even more able to improve the world for their experiences here."

---
Well worth a full read!

Best regards, and Happy Holidays,
Bob Barnes

Last edited:

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Impressive, thought-provoking commentary from Mike Kaplan, President and CEO of Aspen Skiing Company, on the aspensnowmass.com website (also published in the Aspen Times, Aspen Daily News, and Post Independent newspapers):

We are still here.
(click on the link)

An excerpt:

"They [the 10th Mountain Division] risked their lives fighting back against human beings’ darkest instincts. At the very least, we should make clear that we’re worthy of that effort, that we stand as bastions of tolerance and civility. That idea, lofty as it may seem, has taken on resonance after the divisiveness and aftermath of the presidential election.

I believe this election was more about dissatisfaction with government than it was about ideology. And I don’t think racism or bigotry was a major driver at the polls. But some elements of President-Elect Trump’s platform conflict with Aspen Skiing Company’s core values. Since the election, there have been local and national incidences of intolerance. And the entire campaign stood out in rejecting the pressing need for action on climate and environmental regulation, jeopardizing our wild landscapes and outdoor lifestyles, something another 10th Mountain vet, David Brower, devoted his life to protecting.

It’s on these issues I want to make a few things clear: Aspen Snowmass, as a destination, and Aspen Skiing Company, as a place of business with nearly 4,000 employees, has always been and will always remain dedicated to tolerance, open-mindedness, environmental sustainability, and civility. This includes doing our very best to work with the new federal administration. My words here are not a broadside against Trump. Rather, they take issue with some specific aspects of his campaign and policy direction.

"We are a place where people of all ethnicities, religions, genders, and races — and that includes white working-class males — come together to celebrate life, the mountains, and being together with family and friends. What differentiates Aspen Snowmass is that we add one particular ingredient to the mix: the notion that by introducing people to ideas, art, and education in the exact place where they are most receptive to new thinking, they can return to their homes inspired, perhaps even more able to improve the world for their experiences here."

---
Well worth a full read!

Best regards, and Happy Holidays,
Bob Barnes

And more importantly, it is an organic, sustainable, nuclear free, fur free zone.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I so hope that aspen eventually starts buying other mountains....

I know of a mountain on East coast that I would love to see aspen buy it, and IMO is the closest to aspen in the east.... ;)

They did that back in the days when they bought Breck. Long-distance control can be very difficult.

Sponsor

Staff online