• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I came back to skiing after a long break a little over 2 years ago. My daily driver has primarily been 182 cm Stockli Laser AX’s. Most of my skiing is in PA with a couple of trips north. I also have have180 cm Rustler 9’s that have mainly been sitting in the rack since I got the Stockli’s. Can’t say enough good things about the AX’s and the only time I’ve felt that I wanted something a little different is in the afternoon/late season crud and slop here in PA and when I’ve started exploring off piste in VT. I enjoy the Rustlers but really only use them when playing around skiing with my kids. Broke them out at the end of this season when we had some not great conditions and they did well but I felt like they were a little short and soft to do anymore than just play around on them. I’m a solid intermediate pushing myself to improve but at 6’3” and 250+ lbs I’m thinking the Rustlers aren’t enough to be anything more than a fun ski. That leaves me looking picking up another pair of skis this offseason to complement my AXs for the conditions we typically encounter in the East. Something to use on piste to push through the crud and maybe occasional powder and allow me to start explore off piste more. Was hoping to get some recommendations to consider. Stockli Stormrider 95s seem like a possibility? Thanks!

Rc231

Booting up
Skier
I am a bit smaller than you (6'3" 205) but I would look at K2 mindbenders as an intermediate friendly ski with some backbone. either the 90ti or the 99ti would work. I demoed the 90ti and found them fun and easy to handle with good edge grip with the main downside being top end speed limit was lower than my (very high) preference.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I came back to skiing after a long break a little over 2 years ago. My daily driver has primarily been 182 cm Stockli Laser AX’s. Most of my skiing is in PA with a couple of trips north. I also have have180 cm Rustler 9’s that have mainly been sitting in the rack since I got the Stockli’s. Can’t say enough good things about the AX’s and the only time I’ve felt that I wanted something a little different is in the afternoon/late season crud and slop here in PA and when I’ve started exploring off piste in VT. I enjoy the Rustlers but really only use them when playing around skiing with my kids. Broke them out at the end of this season when we had some not great conditions and they did well but I felt like they were a little short and soft to do anymore than just play around on them. I’m a solid intermediate pushing myself to improve but at 6’3” and 250+ lbs I’m thinking the Rustlers aren’t enough to be anything more than a fun ski. That leaves me looking picking up another pair of skis this offseason to complement my AXs for the conditions we typically encounter in the East. Something to use on piste to push through the crud and maybe occasional powder and allow me to start explore off piste more. Was hoping to get some recommendations to consider. Stockli Stormrider 95s seem like a possibility? Thanks!
The Rustler were probably too short. They have more m tip/rocker than your Stockli AX. I am 5’9" and prefer the Rustler 180 than the 172cm.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Rustler were probably too short. They have more m tip/rocker than your Stockli AX. I am 5’9" and prefer the Rustler 180 than the 172cm.
]

Yes I hadn’t used the rustlers in year when I broke them out earlier this month and the difference was obvious with the tip and tail rocker.

MNF

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@mikes781

I'm thinking along the exact same lines as you. I ski on the east coast and just bought a pair of Laser AX's to be my daily driver. As I think about building by quiver, I was thinking of eventually adding one of: Rustler 9 (did you try yours in trees or bumps?), Enforcer 93/94 or Stormrider 88/95.

I'd be curious to know how you finally decide. I take forever to make a decision and just wish I could own them all :)

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@mikes781

I'm thinking along the exact same lines as you. I ski on the east coast and just bought a pair of Laser AX's to be my daily driver. As I think about building by quiver, I was thinking of eventually adding one of: Rustler 9 (did you try yours in trees or bumps?), Enforcer 93/94 or Stormrider 88/95.

I'd be curious to know how you finally decide. I take forever to make a decision and just wish I could own them all :)

Can never have too many toys. Bumps aren’t my thing and I’m just starting to ski trees so I don’t want to lead you astray but they are very maneuverable, easy to pivot. I will certainly keep them and if I had gotten the 188s instead this thread might not exist lol. I had a chance to demo the Stormrider 95s at killington last month but wanted to get a few runs in first thing and they were out when I returned to the shop later in the morning. Kicking myself for that.

Reactions: MNF

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
You ski the east and don't have a dedicated true carving ski. :nono:
They are on sale now!
https://www.corbetts.com/categories/ski.html#/filter:categories_hierarchy:Ski$253ESkis$253ECarving

As to an off-piste / tree ski, I'm still looking too.
This thread might help...
https://www.pugski.com/threads/best-ski-for-skiing-glades.19370/

At your weight you need something stout, or it won't be able to turn you if you build up any speed. It may be described as a beefy charger only to some reviewers, but it will do fine for you, IMHO.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You ski the east and don't have a dedicated true carving ski. :nono:
They are on sale now!
https://www.corbetts.com/categories/ski.html#/filter:categories_hierarchy:Ski$253ESkis$253ECarving

As to an off-piste / tree ski, I'm still looking too.
This thread might help...
https://www.pugski.com/threads/best-ski-for-skiing-glades.19370/

At your weight you need something stout, or it won't be able to turn you if you build up any speed. It may be described as a beefy charger only to some reviewers, but it will do fine for you, IMHO.
He’s got an AX!
I ski the same places he does.....the AX along with something a bit wider is all he needs.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lol I started poking around Corbetts looking at those skinny skis especially at the prices they are offering. Resisting though since my AXs have me covered there. The K2 Mindbender 99 Tis are interesting. Corbetts has them at a good price but nothing above 177 and I was thinking of the 184s or possibly the 191s. Found another place that has the Stormrider demos in 184s. Not sure of their condition but am also questioning whether I should go longer given my size.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@François Pugh I’ve considered a more pure carving ski but feel that the AXs can scratch that itch for now. This time next year I’ll probably be revisiting that “need”. ;)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No. The AX is not a true dedicated carving ski, although it can carve turns. The SL and SX are carving skis (so are the GSs and SGs and DHs, but not for most people).

I have the MX88 and while it's not a pure carver at 88mm it handles pretty much every icy groomer with ease, turns large and small. It also busts through crud with ease. The OP is looking for something, IMO, going in the opposite direction of a carver. He wants something for on-piste and exploring off-piste. I don't think sub-80mm is the way to go.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did get to demo the Mindbender 90ti. It was a great ski, easy yet stable. I can imagine the 99 in addition to the AX at 78 would be a great quiver.

I have an older Stormrider Motion 100 (womens ski) in a 174. It feels about the same length as my AX in 168.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did get to demo the Mindbender 90ti. It was a great ski, easy yet stable. I can imagine the 99 in addition to the AX at 78 would be a great quiver.

I have an older Stormrider Motion 100 (womens ski) in a 174. It feels about the same length as my AX in 168.

My son and I both demo'd the 90Ti and really liked it. I bought a pair in December and just bought another pair from Corbetts a few days ago but in 177cm. I'm giving my son the 170cm I already have. I thought about getting the 99Ti instead but I already have a 105. For the OP I'd agree; the 99Ti would be a great ski to add to the list.

Last edited:
TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Leaning towards keeping it in the Stockli family and getting the Stormrider 95. I’m talking pricing now with two shops. I’ll see where that goes but the 99ti is in the running.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Leaning towards keeping it in the Stockli family and getting the Stormrider 95. I’m talking pricing now with two shops. I’ll see where that goes but the 99ti is in the running.

Can't go wrong with keeping it in the family. I'm a Kastle fanboi and the K2's were the first pair of non-Kastle skis I've bought in 8 years.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OP, I am your size and your on the right track. SR 95 would be great great choice. If the wide ski is stiff, then 184cm is ok, if Med to soft get 188-190 length. SR 95 get 190, Volkl mantra 102 get 184. I would say 188 for mindbender. Don't know much about that ski.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have not heard a lot of people talk about these in a while but they were the darlings of this crowd for some time. So I am going to recommend the Z 90 as a ski that could fill your vacancy for an East Coast ski with versatile.

TS
mikes781

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks guys. After some back and forth in the Stockli thread and a long conversation with a shop I ended up getting the SR95 (184). Really wanted something that I could take into the trees so went with the shorter skis. If I was skiing wide open groomers it probably would have been a different story.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
The 184cm SR95 will be your east coast tree ski? That's a pretty nice piece of lumber for scrapping roots ;)

Everybody is different, but that's not what I'd want to use for slithering through VT Beeches, Pines, Birch.

Sponsor

Staff online