• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me window shop for next season

James

Out There
Instructor
155/6cm, which are a lot more difficult to come by on the local used market. It's reassuring in very icy conditions, but I suspect I sit there and ride the sidecut more than a bit.
You're looking in the wrong market perhaps. The 157/8 is much, much easier to find than a 165. Not sure about the 155/6's, because you get into junior territory, but I'm sure they easier.
You have to be careful with available edge left though with sl skis.

@ScotsSkier could comment. He has waiting lists for 165's. Not so much the shorter ones.

I took a quick look on sideline swap and found a good pair of 156's w/Marker 16's for $230. Somehow my link got erased.
(There was also a pair for $100 that was completely worthless)

Honestly, sizing is 100% a mystery to me. I was on a 156cm narrow full cambered ski for most of my the last 10 years, so I just have a reflexive "run away screaming" reaction to anything significantly taller than me. I've also never actually tried anything wider than 88 as all the demos seem to be in stupid long lengths only, so working blind here.
Well that can actually be good for your skiing. You should try something over head height. But spend some time with it. For short demos you might have to go women's skis.

I haven't skied the Rustler 10, but skied the 9. Totally agree 10 would be more for you, just by store examination. Dude, it's 100mm! Your max has been 88. What a trip.

The shop I use in Vt might have a short Rustler 10 left. Prob around $300 flat I'm guessing. I'm pretty sure he could match that binding deal with something, or close. You might not have to pay it all in one shot. I'll check tmrw if he's got anything. Pm me if you're interested.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
You're looking in the wrong market perhaps. The 157/8 is much, much easier to find than a 165. Not sure about the 155/6's, because you get into junior territory, but I'm sure they easier.
You have to be careful with available edge left though with sl skis.

@ScotsSkier could comment. He has waiting lists for 165's. Not so much the shorter ones.

I took a quick look on sideline swap and found a good pair of 156's w/Marker 16's for $230. Somehow my link got erased.
(There was also a pair for $100 that was completely worthless)

You're looking at the Nordicas? They look fun. I'd have to unload the Rossis before pulling the trigger. The one I own right now is this one (far right) in the second from shortest: https://issuu.com/alreklam/docs/rossignol_1516_webb/13 So, not quite a 165cm beast but probably a size too long. I tend to browse Craigslist/Facebook within an hour's drive of my house. So, we get a lot of little kids' GS skis and their dads' longish rec SLs. (anyone on here in the market for the old non-metal Rossi SL? A couple big but cosmetic topsheet chips near the bindings, but otherwise good shape and recently tuned)

Well that can actually be good for your skiing. You should try something over head height. But spend some time with it. For short demos you might have to go women's skis.

I haven't skied the Rustler 10, but skied the 9. Totally agree 10 would be more for you, just by store examination. Dude, it's 100mm! Your max has been 88. What a trip.

The shop I use in Vt might have a short Rustler 10 left. Prob around $300 flat I'm guessing. I'm pretty sure he could match that binding deal with something, or close. You might not have to pay it all in one shot. I'll check tmrw if he's got anything. Pm me if you're interested.

It's surprisingly difficult to get people to give me a women's ski to demo! It's like they see small dude and think they have to help compensate or something. I only ended up on the love of my life skis when a woman at the shop looked at me and realized I was a little smaller than her.

Seems to be everyone agrees Rustler 10 is the best bang for buck here. Guessing you'd also say 172? Always like to shop local-ish, so PMing.

James

Out There
Instructor
You're looking at the Nordicas? They look fun. I'd have to unload the Rossis before pulling the trigger.
Not suggesting you do it, just that they're around and stay aware. You really need to be wary of used slaloms due to heavy use. As an example, I bought a pair off a friend for $75. I knew they basically had no edge left, but doable. skied them for maybe four days. Still fine for soft snow. I'll take the plate off. Give the M12's away.

My suggestion is to let ScotsSkier know what you're looking for. Maybe ask him about either the junior or the women's version. In the fall he usually has a bunch of used race skis from skiers he works with. Generally, no one wants the shorter slaloms, just the 165.
Edgewise in Stowe used to have a consignment section with skis prepped by them and ready to go. Since the did basically the best tuning in the East, that was a great resource. But, Graham decided to close up the business and move on.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
His skis always look super cool, and I've loved reading your thoughts on them. Not sure I'm ready for the level of commitment (funds and time) for a custom build, though ;)

Thanks all for your thoughts

custom skis is cheaper in many ways especially in the long run. Of caused some levels of commitment required just like with any custom/special order product.… No commitments in time need to get custom skis specially now when summer approaching..... one thing for certain . You would NEVER need to waste your time with thread like this

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thought I'd come back to this thread and give an update. After talking fairly extensively to the owner at James's shop about my existing skis and how I like to ski, I bought the 164cm Rustler 10 from him. I've spent about 9 of my past 15 ski days on them this season at Brighton, Alta, Snowbird, Snowmass, and Aspen Highlands and honestly they've been great and they do not feel too short for my primary use case which is lots of quick turns in the trees. They definitely don't look new anymore, which I think is a sign of fun being had.

Could they be a little longer for open bowls? Probably. But since 90% of my skiing is slow and in tight spaces, I think this was the right choice for now and at this point in my development as a skier. They hold an edge surprisingly well on groomers for how rockered they are. (I even skied them on a few firm days too because of a nasty burr ruining my life with my Kästles.) And after owning a series of serious business stiff carving skis it's hilarious to be on something I can bend at a standstill. Thanks everyone for the help. I love my new skis.

Sponsor