• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help me window shop for next season

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
28M/just under 5'5"/125-135lbs. 20-25 day/season skier in New England. Getting an IKON pass and bumping that up to 30-35 days with a couple trips west next season. So I'm keeping half an eye out for what I'd term an "east coast powder ski" to round out the quiver. Maybe in the 96-102mm range? It's unlikely to see a ton of use, but there also aren't many appropriately short rentals/demos out there.

I own a Rossi slalom ski (161cm—fun and surprisingly easy), Kastle LX85 (160cm—love love love love), Kastle FX85 (165cm—mostly like but jury's still out). The FX is the right ski for my off piste development right now, but I definitely prefer something I can drive from the front like the other two. I like to ski medium speeds and favor shorter turns. Not very aggressive. Slowly becoming competent at bumps. Become a flailing mess if I so much as look at a tree after having run face first into one at Cannon last year :doh:

Thoughts from the Pugski hive mind? Cheap is good, since it looks like I may need new boots :nono: Not opposed to "women's" skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Elan Ripstick 96 black edition could be fun for you. Very different than your other skis. 167, might even go 174. It's quite soft and you seem to like to drive skis.

Liberty Evolve 100? Don't know if it's too much at your weight.

@Tony S , @AmyPJ , @Tricia @Wendy would have better ideas in this category.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Elan Ripstick 96 black edition could be fun for you. Very different than your other skis. 167, might even go 174. It's quite soft and you seem to like to drive skis.

I have been unable to ski the 100 Evolve because I haven't found one in a good length for me.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Blizzard Rustler 10 would be my contribution. While I personally have not skied the 10 and didn't really get along with the 9, the 9 was most happy for me at moderate speeds with shorter radius turn. So I would expect the 10 to be similar.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, yes, Rustler 9 or 10, Nordica Enforcer (pick your width, they're all good!) Rossi Experience 94.
Oodles of fun options!

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
This looks interesting, but seems difficult to come by? I think 174 might be way too long. Probably psychological, but that's like 4 inches taller than me! Also, how soft is "quite soft"? I also love love loved the Navigator series and wish I could own one without serious quiver overlap (also the 2019 topsheets are hideous), which is soft flexing but still enters a turn pretty assertively.

re: the driving skis, I don't really mind having to use a more centered style in ungroomed terrain, but having to wait for a ski like the FX to bite on the narrow scraped off groomers in between makes me anxious. I think it's a shape issue more than a construction issue and even then more of a "me" issue than a ski problem.

Blizzard Rustler 10 would be my contribution. While I personally have not skied the 10 and didn't really get along with the 9, the 9 was most happy for me at moderate speeds with shorter radius turn. So I would expect the 10 to be similar.

Hmmm, yes, Rustler 9 or 10, Nordica Enforcer (pick your width, they're all good!) Rossi Experience 94.
Oodles of fun options!
The Rustler series has been on my radar, and Corbetts has the 10 in a 164 for a very good price. I was under the impression that the 169cm Enforcer was kind of 2x4 stiffness? I occasionally see Santa Anas pop up on my local Facebook, though, which sound less scary but a lot of that may be men's vs women's marketing BS. I didn't get along with the 2018 Experiences at all, but looks like the new ones have a very different shape. Reviewers on here seem to categorize it as a big strong ski for big strong guys, though?

Ask @mishka about his Mad Russian MR102 and MRW107 builds. Playful, zippy, floaty, can be driven from the front or from neutral.

His skis always look super cool, and I've loved reading your thoughts on them. Not sure I'm ready for the level of commitment (funds and time) for a custom build, though ;)

Thanks all for your thoughts

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I was just out on the Evolv 100 eysterday and it is a nice ski but I think there might be better options for someone his height and weight. The all new Kastle FX96 sounds liek what he wants but if he is balking at custom ski pricing, that will also eliminate that ski. There are quite a few lighter 100ish skis that will work for a smaller skier. Atomic Bentchetler 100, Liberty Origin 96, DPS Wailer 100, Rossignol Black Ops 98, Dynastar LEgend 96 and Menace 98 and even the Elan Ripstick 96, non Black Ed.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You'll know more once the embargo is lifted, and the 2020 reviews can be posted by the World-Renowned Pugski Testers!

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was just out on the Evolv 100 eysterday and it is a nice ski but I think there might be better options for someone his height and weight. The all new Kastle FX96 sounds liek what he wants but if he is balking at custom ski pricing, that will also eliminate that ski. There are quite a few lighter 100ish skis that will work for a smaller skier. Atomic Bentchetler 100, Liberty Origin 96, DPS Wailer 100, Rossignol Black Ops 98, Dynastar LEgend 96 and Menace 98 and even the Elan Ripstick 96, non Black Ed.
Alas, would love to say cost wasn't an issue, but I live on a PhD stipend in Boston cost is always an issue :( I've actually never spent more than $400 all-in on a pair of skis—lightly used demos in short lengths are cheap, if not plentiful. That basically rules out all new for 2020 models.

Do you have thoughts on the shape of some of these? From pictures anyway, the Bentchetler or Legend 96 look to have the kind of long tapering tip I'm not loving on the icy 2D snow that one is often obligated to ski out here, even on the rare powder day.

James

Out There
Instructor
[Elan Ripstick 96 Black] looks interesting, but seems difficult to come by? I think 174 might be way too long. Probably psychological, but that's like 4 inches taller than me! Also, how soft is "quite soft"? I also love love loved the Navigator series and wish I could own one without serious quiver overlap (also the 2019 topsheets are hideous), which is soft flexing but still enters a turn pretty assertively.
Much softer than your Fx85's.
As for size, isn't this a powder ski?
It's not way too long, but is on the long side. Don't think they make a 169/70.

You'r slalom type ski is long at 161. What is it? You really should try an fis one at either the 155/6cm size meant for lighter skiers or the 157/8 the women's standard that lot's of even heavy (200lb+) guys use.

Maybe @Tony S has recs.
5'5" = 165cm
5'10" = 178cm
A 187/88 is pretty normal for a powder ski for 5'10. But, for east I wouldn't want say the Bonafide that long. Or the Rustler 9. Those are pretty beefy though. A 184 in those would be nice but they don't make it.

Pinnacle Sports had an elan black one. I doubt even with a good deal it's less than $500 though. Maybe you could offer $400. They had sold their demos. It was way softer than anything we were looking at for Tony. I mean way. Navigator, Exp 94 etc. The Dynastar Legend 96 is quite stiff comparatively. Interesting shape though.

My suggestion is Forerunner Sports in Killington. Brian has some good demo deals. Talk to him. Bunch of black crows stuff. Northern Ski works in Kton might have demos. Basin has demos.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
since it looks like I may need new boots
Do this first. Marry your boots, date your skis.

For skis, you might check into the Atomic Bentchetler 100. I found it to be not enough for me but I'm almost 100# heavier than you. I could tell fun was in there, though. To your concern about icy 2D snow maybe not so great.

Another really fun ski that can handle some firmer conditions is the Armada Tracer 98. It will be a bit different for 2020 but the 2018-2019 is a great ski.

@Philpug mentioned the Legend 96. For the shape of the ski with the long tip (as you mentioned), it has a very short turn radius at around 15 meters. It will turn on hard pack. I know real ice is an issue back east but if you're planning on using these on powder days and maybe some out west skiing you should be OK.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
You'r slalom type ski is long at 161. What is it? You really should try an fis one at either the 155/6cm size meant for lighter skiers or the 157/8 the women's standard that lot's of even heavy (200lb+) guys use.

It's the non-FIS carbon Rossi ST from several years ago that I picked up for like $150 on craigslist. Cheap because they were pretty beat up from dad skiing with kids. I agree that it's too long for me, though, and would likely be better off on a 155/6cm, which are a lot more difficult to come by on the local used market. It's reassuring in very icy conditions, but I suspect I sit there and ride the sidecut more than a bit.

Honestly, sizing is 100% a mystery to me. I was on a 156cm narrow full cambered ski for most of my the last 10 years, so I just have a reflexive "run away screaming" reaction to anything significantly taller than me. I've also never actually tried anything wider than 88 as all the demos seem to be in stupid long lengths only, so working blind here.

TS
Z

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Do this first. Marry your boots, date your skis.

Working on it! We've passed bargaining and are solidly in the depression stage of coming to terms with the idea. It'll be nice to have perfect boots, but getting more than 50 days out of this pair would also have been nice.

Ski boots are the second most expensive piece of sporting equipment I own after my road bike. Would have been great if the "boot fitter" that sold them to me was a real fitter :rolleyes:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Working on it! We've passed bargaining and are solidly in the depression stage of coming to terms with the idea. It'll be nice to have perfect boots, but getting more than 50 days out of this pair would also have been nice.

Ski boots are the second most expensive piece of sporting equipment I own after my road bike. Would have been great if the "boot fitter" that sold them to me was a real fitter :rolleyes:
I felt your pain. Literally. I quit skiing for years because the boots sucked so bad. Luckily I was pulled/dragged back into the sport. Lot's of good fitting tips in here.

Vinnie

Getting on the lift
Skier
Both The Atomic Bent Chetler 100 @172cm and Liberty Origin 96 @ 171cm would be a good choice. They both get good reviews for float in powder for their waist width. The Bent Chetler 100 comes in a 164cm... but that is really short given how much rocker it has.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 to the Rustler, but I'd go longer than 164. Lots of rocker in the ski will make it ski much shorter than anything else in your quiver. I'm 5-2/115, and I found the 164 to be super short (and I had been skiing a 162 Pandora at the time - which is also known for skiing rather short for it's size), but the 172 was quite nice. I've pushed a few friends who have been ski shopping to try them and they also sized up from their norm (preferred the 172 to the 164, and ultimately ended up buying the Atomic Backlands in 164 - literally all five of them - so maybe those might be worth consideration too, and maybe the Bent 100 that replaced them).

Also, if you're looking at price, the Armada Invictus and Line Sick Day are both worth a mention. Not exactly fan favorites here - they leave a bit to be desired for hard-charging, race pedigree, expendable income types - but for average to light skiers who don't ski like a freight train, they do more than just fine. Oh - and I'd also add the Volkl 90eight to the list. Quite versatile, which makes them a really solid choice as a vacation ski, and they construction has been the same for years, so easy to find a used or clearance model.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
RUN and get the Rustler 10 172cm with Griffons for $455 US right now at Corbetts! Great deal and a perfect ski for your needs. Forgiving flex and weight that is a dream in bumps/trees and would hugely increase your confidence in those areas. Doesn’t catch through powder or crud and still carves a decent turn on a groomer. Very fun ski even at lower speeds.

Rustler 9 are stiffer and a little more “serious” which you already have in your other skis and the Enforcer skis are quite a bit heavier so more tailored to larger skiers, less timid skiers than yourself. They are not super stiff by any means but might be a little heavy for your size.

Rustler 10 is an incredibly popular ski out west as it does great regardless of the conditions or where on the mountain you ski. Perfectly suited to your size and the type of skiing you prefer. Think it’s “forgiveness without being wimpy” will get you mastering bumps in no time. Think it will get more use than you think once you ski something like the Rustler 10 in any new snow in the East or Spring skiing once you see how fun they are!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
RUN and get the Rustler 10 172cm with Griffons for $455 US right now at Corbetts! Great deal and a perfect ski for your needs. Forgiving flex and weight that is a dream in bumps/trees and would hugely increase your confidence in those areas. Doesn’t catch through powder or crud and still carves a decent turn on a groomer. Very fun ski even at lower speeds.

Rustler 9 are stiffer and a little more “serious” which you already have in your other skis and the Enforcer skis are quite a bit heavier so more tailored to larger skiers, less timid skiers than yourself. They are not super stiff by any means but might be a little heavy for your size.

Rustler 10 is an incredibly popular ski out west as it does great regardless of the conditions or where on the mountain you ski. Perfectly suited to your size and the type of skiing you prefer. Think it’s “forgiveness without being wimpy” will get you mastering bumps in no time. Think it will get more use than you think once you ski something like the Rustler 10 in any new snow in the East or Spring skiing once you see how fun they are!
It is really hard to argue with that deal. The money you save you can put towards your boot fund...which will be the better investment anyway.

Sponsor