• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Heavenly Mountain Resort - All Things Related, Thread

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Wow, thanks Jed. That is very helpful. A couple of questions if you or other care to answer:

Cal or Nev? What would you choose? I assume not the gondola simply to avoid lines and wasted time? If wind is an issue, where are we least likely to encounter holds? Nev side, below the crest?

What is so difficult to navigate about Stagecoach and Galaxy?

Can I get a buddy pass for my friend (for Heavenly) with my N* pass? If you know.

I like Parking at Nevada. If sky chair is closed as it frequently does even due to ice, you're screwed. The gondola costs 25 bucks to park unless you know of superstar parking (and that's getting filled up most days by employees)--not to mention the early morning line to get up the hill.

Stagecoach is just a cluster...coming from the dipper/comet areas. Bunch of cat track traversing. Galaxy isn't a cluster but it can get kinda flat down there--albeit uncrowded and worth a trip.

Yes, you can get a buddy pass.

Note: if you were better, and there was a cold huge storm or a bump freak lapping gunbarrel and the trees over there at California are killer. But at your level and your buddy's level--lapping gunbarrel isn't exactly in the cards.

Jed Peters

Skier
There are definitely some tricks to skiing Killebrew as far as conditions go. If it hasn't snowed in a while and there have been mercurial temps, you may want to stay away from the west-facing chutes like Ramarrah's, Pipeline, and even Stateline. Those and the Boundary Chutes are the most likely to freeze and stay frozen, but if you ski the sunny side after the sun's been on that terrain for about a 1/2 hour, you'll be in corn.

@Jerry Graffam i was back in there today for my opener coming over to the Nevada side and stateline was still pretty good!

Also firebreak was nice until you get to the burn--we traversed over to the gondola line to get the hell out of that mess. Super sloppy.

@Philpug you would have been proud of the old man today--only 4-5 runs but boy did we make the most of them! ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Jerry Graffam i was back in there today for my opener coming over to the Nevada side and stateline was still pretty good!

Also firebreak was nice until you get to the burn--we traversed over to the gondola line to get the hell out of that mess. Super sloppy.

@Philpug you would have been proud of the old man today--only 4-5 runs but boy did we make the most of them! ;)
Are you referring to yourself as the old man or are you referring to the old man? I am always prod of the latter old man..he is a helluva guy and fun to ski with, even if it is just for 4-5 runs.

I need to get down to Heavenly...but sure as hell NOT this weekend.

Jed Peters

Skier
Anyone know how long north bowl is down for? Im liking it. Sleeper day at the heave today

North bowl should be down all year. I saw them running it a few days ago but I doubt they'll risk it and have it back up.

There's a way to ski north bowl @BrianC :)

I bet yesterday and today are LOTS of fun up there!

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah i was just taking stage to olympic and following the ropeline down to the burn. Then wait for shuttle back to stage. Trackless and really a good time!

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skied all day at the heave wwsnesday and all that thick snow sorta groomed rhe place out. Mott canyon was bump free although snow was a little thick. Im really liking a filled in heavenly.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heading to Colorado...Sorry.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tuesday kirkwood and wednesday probably heavenly. Tuesday early am i may have to get a bit of work done before

Jed Peters

Skier
I have never seen it that crowded...made the mistake of going down to comet/dipper....once. I think there was literally one line! That was quickly remedied by a skate over to Nevada trail, then stage/olympic.

I swear if I didn't know my way around that place honest to goodness that would be the most miserable ski area in Tahoe...ugh. Sky and the gondola were closed in the am, and the line to get on the bus to Nevada or California lodge were over 500 people EACH.

BUUUUUUTTTTT, since I do....Freshness all day long. So much goodness!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I swear if I didn't know my way around that place honest to goodness that would be the most miserable ski area in Tahoe...ugh.

Is that a weekends/holidays issue, or every day? I have an itch to ski Heavenly - maybe not this year - and figured avoiding weekends was necessary.

Jed Peters

Skier
Is that a weekends/holidays issue, or every day? I have an itch to ski Heavenly - maybe not this year - and figured avoiding weekends was necessary.

Avoid weekends or holidays like the plague, and hook up with a member here....if you don't know your way around heavenly it blows.

However, if you DO know Your way around...it can be incredible, and can easily be one of the best ski days of your life...

This season is a good one...

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sounds great but weekends are consumed by work for me.

Groomers are buff this morning at the heave. Heading over to killebrew soon and poonts beyond. Will report back.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah killebrew, mott and points beyond skiing great. Pipeline, stateline chute and ramahhrahs all holding soft cold snow still. Turns off the far knoll after rocky point soft springlike snow. Cutback is holding up great....no dismount necessary.

Edit-what were they thinking when they installed the double? The placement requires one to take dipper to lap killebrew. I guess maybe that what keeps it so nice over there but still....

Last edited:

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
A guide would help greatly if you're not familiar with the mtn. The layout is weird for sure. Where is your home mtn and what kind of stuff do you like to ski?

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I'm a ski orphan ... I have no home mountain. I moved to Portland 2 ski seasons ago and have been sidelined until now. I expect to adopt Bachelor. I'll ski there for the first time in another week.

Trail-wise, I'm an intermediate and have skied only blue groomers out west, except for Morningside at Steamboat ... which had about a foot of ungroomed that I skied ok-to-horribly and loved every minute of. Oh, yeah, and a black run at Beaver Creek that I thought was a blue. That one had 18 inches of tracked up powder that I sunk down into. So yeah, I suck at powder. Or, sink.

Otherwise, I've skied blues at Vail, Breck, Copper, etc., north Tahoe. I will stick to blues while I find my ski legs, then start venturing out a little more. That's probably one of the draws of Heavenly ... it and I having groomers in common.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January