• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Have you seen what lessons will cost this year?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
And rent-seeking. Don't forget rent-seeking. Monopolies can seek multiple price points, including growth/future investment points.

But they can't do that if above them are multiple layers of financial middlemen sitting on their unproductive bums, all looking to beat inflation on their 'investment'. In a 3.4% inflation economy, all it takes is 3 middleman borrowing/fee layers to get to 15% price jacking at consumer level every year.

Put another way, there's no monopoly willing to take a market growth stance if they have built in layers of rent seekers above them. Smaller operators might, but I would argue that it's temporary and unsustainable.

JohnnyGVT

Booting up
Skier
We have done private lessons in the past with our friends and family. First 2 times we lucked out, and got a great L3 instructor.
Later, I knew to have a look at who we get, including asking here for recommendations.

The $700-800 we paid a few years ago already had my friends in Europe gasping for air, but with 4 people, and some high quality instruction (not to mention getting more laps and finding the good runs on Presidents’ Day) It was worth it.

But $1222 (or an even worse cost for a group lesson) for a ‘Day’? No matter who the instructor is, that’s really hard to justify for something that’s just fun.

And then there is the fact that the instructors are are not making this.
I would have a bit easier time swollowing high rates if it was instructors charging that, pointing out they are spending time and money honing their craft, and have to cover the high cost of living in a mountain town in a small number of teaching days.
Only thing I'd add, as an instructor, is this: yes, it's expensive to take private lessons. So when you DO TAKE the lessons, what steps are you taking to make sure you're getting a lesson with one of the best instructors? Remember, the bright red, blue, black, yellow, or green jacket does not a great instructor make!!

It is foolish to pay for either a half day or full day lesson without having done the work of identifying the best possible instructor for your skiing needs. Almost all good/great resorts will allow you to pre-select the instructor of your choice. And believe me, there is a huge difference. Why would you want to be separated from $900-1,200 for the privilege of being with someone who just became a ski instructor? Or has only taught for a season or two? Of course there are exceptions, but the best instructors have been doing this for a while (like many years). And please, do not ask the 1-800 ski lesson receptionist "who's the best instructor?" Because the only answer you'll get is..."oh, they're all really really great".

Do a little scouting around the restaurants, bars and ski shops where you're skiing. ASK sales people, bartenders, wait staff, ski shop folks "who's the best instructor here for a beginner? Someone who's got a lot of fear?" Someone who wants to make a breakthrough? Ski towns are small towns, and everyone knows everyone. And they'll know who the best instructors are, and if you ask nicely...they'll probably tell you. Honestly, I know ski instructors who I would never recommend. The progress you and/or your kids will make skiing with one of the top instructors is 2x-5x more progress than you'd make with someone mediocre.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
hey mike, just saw this, maybe too late. I've been an instructor for 15 seasons and skied my whole life. I skied in Utah for several days, a few years ago, with some friends, including a guy who turned out to be an Aspen instructor. He was one of the best skiers I've ever skied with, plus super nice guy, who was giving free tips to everyone who wanted one. I'd book with him in a second if I were at Aspen...his name is Justin Picken
Thanks @JohnnyGVT we actually fly out next Saturday. One of the guys in our group had to drop unfortunately due to a family illness and the other wasn’t interested in doing a private lesson so it’s not in the cards for this trip. If I get him to change in mind we’ll ask about Justin. Did find an instructor that I really meshed with at my local hill and squeezed in a pair of lessons him this past month. Felt like I made some nice strides with his help.

JohnnyGVT

Booting up
Skier
Thanks @JohnnyGVT we actually fly out next Saturday. One of the guys in our group had to drop unfortunately due to a family illness and the other wasn’t interested in doing a private lesson so it’s not in the cards for this trip. If I get him to change in mind we’ll ask about Justin. Did find an instructor that I really meshed with at my local hill and squeezed in a pair of lessons him this past month. Felt like I made some nice strides with his help.
Ok good luck - as always I suggest to friends all the time: 1) hardest time to get a specific instructor is on weekends, that's when everyone's booked to the max; so best bet: when you arrive in ski town, hit a bar and/or restaurant. chat up the waiters, waitresses, bar people...and ask them "hey, you live out here, you must know a couple of the best instructors...who should we book our private lessons with?" If you're friendly, you will get answers, cause these are their friends! They'll help you, you'll tip them, and you just may find a superb local instructor. No ski area ever said, hey these are our best instructors: Mr. Blue, Mr. Black & Mr. Pink !! Just doesn't happen, because the resorts want to maintain the fiction that "ALL OUR INSTRUCTORS ARE GREAT".

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Ok good luck - as always I suggest to friends all the time: 1) hardest time to get a specific instructor is on weekends, that's when everyone's booked to the max; so best bet: when you arrive in ski town, hit a bar and/or restaurant. chat up the waiters, waitresses, bar people...and ask them "hey, you live out here, you must know a couple of the best instructors...who should we book our private lessons with?" If you're friendly, you will get answers, cause these are their friends! They'll help you, you'll tip them, and you just may find a superb local instructor. No ski area ever said, hey these are our best instructors: Mr. Blue, Mr. Black & Mr. Pink !! Just doesn't happen, because the resorts want to maintain the fiction that "ALL OUR INSTRUCTORS ARE GREAT".
Well, in Aspen our coordinators attempt to match the guests with the available instructors based on experience, desires, capabilities and outcomes. Tough job, but it may result in a better match than an anonymous recommendation from the internet.

Last edited:

justplanesteve

Getting off the lift
Skier
yes, it's expensive to take private lessons. So when you DO TAKE the lessons, what (personal) steps are (have) you (been) taking to make sure (you're getting the most out of them)

^^^^^paraphrased^^^^

I wonder how many people who don't ski "quite a few" days per year, starting early and often in the season including routine drills and practice as a habit, can actually get much out of a full day private. Many people are flagging after barely a couple hours. Perhaps a post-lunch revival, but pushing beyond is seldom productive for skill advancement, worst case could risk injury. People who were once athletic and now work at desks can overestimate how much productive & focused time they will be capable of putting in. If you are not on a budget, it does not matter. Heck, rent a full day instructor just for guide and liftline jumping privilege, plus some bonus skiing tips that don't interfere with cruising whatever you want to cruise or huck. If you need to optimize the learning/embedding part of the experience per $ spent, however, it could be worth self assessing your fitness and current skill function level when planning how much lesson intensity and duration to hire. After a lesson, get back on the snow & practice while it is still very fresh. Or you will probably just need to take the same one again next year.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ask for some takeaways. That is, ask them to give you homework. One or two focus points to work one, preferably with drills to match.
I always suggest that my clients go back to their hotel/condo/house and jot down notes about what we worked on, what it made them feel that was better, and what they had to focus on to "make it click". Then remember to revisit that list every time they go back for a new trip to make sure they don't backslide.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
My golf instructor takes photos and videos of me that I can later analyze and use to ensure that I'm completing the movement patterns correctly during my individual practice time. It makes the $200/hour fee a little more palatable.

Any ski instructors doing this? I would imagine that a video of the student completing a drill correctly could be very beneficial to them going forward.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
An instructor that I started working with last month shot video of me during each lesson. Sent me a link to the video afterwards with a nice summary of the lesson, drills and some additional things he picked up on after looking at the video. Was a very nice touch and very helpful. Didn’t realize how upright I was until I saw the video and that the correction that felt exaggerated in reality was a good athletic stance.

Sponsor

Staff online