• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@stan51 makes a really good point. There are so many really good cities that have quality skiing close, and they aren't all in Colorado, or Utah. These aren't the places that most people on a skiing oriented website consider "Ski Towns", but they offer quality skiing within reasonable proximity of the driveway. My town has about 20 lifts at 5 ski areas within a 90 minutes of driving, and that is not unique. They will often give more diversity economically and socially. The transitional (Mud) seasons are less stark than what you will encounter at a ski resort based town since the world keeps turning even when the lifts don't.

For those with a non-skiing spouse (like me) it can allow your passion and your reality to both prosper. One thing does not alter though both halves of the couple must want the change. Always easier to find a good home than a good spouse.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m enjoying reading this thread. My wife and I are in Montana this week looking at options for the next phase of our lives.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I too am enjoying this thread and have bookmarked it for future reference. We are going to start visiting different areas in order to research options as well. Our time frame is within the next 2 to 3 years to come to a decision.

Up first is Spokane, CdA region in Sept.

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big Sky this trip. We've been to Whitefish on a previous trip and really like it. I've been watching real estate in Whitefish and Big Sky really closely for the last couple of years and it's painful to watch the prices go up and up.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Over 50 in a start-up? We shall see...
A friend did that, but in his 40s. Coworkers called him "Grandpa". He enjoyed the work, but that age stuff got to him after awhile. Kinda like "You know what's really old around here? This ageism."

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Now we're looking to move to someplace a bit quieter that still has good skiing. We'll probably end up in either Baker City Oregon or Joseph Oregon.

Joseph, really? I was there last week. Also in Baker City. I can see the appeal of Baker City ... you can live on the outskirts and still have access to its amenities.

When I was in Joseph, I heard that its population is about 1000. Its neighbor, Enterprise, has about 2000. And the entire county has only 6000 people. They felt small ... until I got to Mitchell with a population of 130. Between getting a hotel room and having dinner, I met 5% of their population!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Big Sky this trip. We've been to Whitefish on a previous trip and really like it. I've been watching real estate in Whitefish and Big Sky really closely for the last couple of years and it's painful to watch the prices go up and up.
Keep an eye on Columbia Falls. It's still got value for the money and the town is seeing a lot of fresh investment. Used to be thoroughly blue collar, with a lot of unkempt properties, but that is changing. Of course, the commute is longer. It depends on your priorities of course, but if you're looking for investment upside, that's where it is.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I moved back to Maine in June after living in Covington KY for the past three years. The return to Maine was for a number of reasons, including being closer to larger ski areas than Perfect North. I'm 46 miles from Sunday River and 90 miles from Sugarloaf. There are two places to mountain bike within a 10 minute drive from where I'm living and Portland is 40 miles away,

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the information about Columbia Falls. I will definitely check it out.

Sponsor

Staff online