• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hallux Rigidus final solution

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
The pin gives me the creeps. Especially when you mentioned that they twisted it or moved it or whatever - I actually shuddered.
It was this time last year that I went from cast off to partial weight bearing to full weight bearing. Sheer heaven!
When I am cleared to submerge my leg in water again, I am going to spend all day at the pool!
Or better yet, I am going to find myself an ocean!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I am cleared to submerge my leg in water again, I am going to spend all day at the pool!
Or better yet, I am going to find myself an ocean!
When I got the pins out, the surgeon said I could "try" swimming in 48 hours. I did a full masters' workout my first time in the pool, but kicking was impossible due to pain. It was a few months before I could actually kick.

Getting the pins pulled was interesting. I thought it would hurt, but it didn't. It felt like the pressure when you get a tooth pulled with a local anesthetic, but there was no anesthetic for the pin pulling.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The pin gives me the creeps. Especially when you mentioned that they twisted it or moved it or whatever - I actually shuddered.

It was this time last year that I went from cast off to partial weight bearing to full weight bearing. Sheer heaven!
The pins in my toes for four weeks were what made my recovery so difficult. I was allowed to fully weight bear immediately post-op, but that hurt too much, plus I couldn't push off my toes. I had post-op "shoe" to protect my toes, but I still managed to stub the pinned toes more than once (ouch)!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The pins in my toes for four weeks were what made my recovery so difficult. I was allowed to fully weight bear immediately post-op, but that hurt too much, plus I couldn't push off my toes. I had post-op "shoe" to protect my toes, but I still managed to stub the pinned toes more than once (ouch)!
My toes are curling at the thought!

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
When I got the pins out, the surgeon said I could "try" swimming in 48 hours. I did a full masters' workout my first time in the pool, but kicking was impossible due to pain. It was a few months before I could actually kick.

Getting the pins pulled was interesting. I thought it would hurt, but it didn't. It felt like the pressure when you get a tooth pulled with a local anesthetic, but there was no anesthetic for the pin pulling.
Good information. That's kind of what if felt like when he adjusted them. But afterwards, the pain increased, perhaps because it was only one week post-op when he did it.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good information. That's kind of what if felt like when he adjusted them. But afterwards, the pain increased, perhaps because it was only one week post-op when he did it.
Mine hurt constantly, but especially after I would accidentally stub them.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Mine hurt constantly, but especially after I would accidentally stub them.
I have made that mistake a few times, which is one of the main reasons why I am eager to get mine pulled next week :eek:.
How long was it, before you could walk without pain?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have made that mistake a few times, which is one of the main reasons why I am eager to get mine pulled next week :eek:.
How long was it, before you could walk without pain?
I had a different procedure (MTP joints removed on 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes, tendon on top of big toe lengthened and bursectomy under big toe), but it took a while. I had the surgery in the middle of July, and got the pins out in August. My foot was swollen for a long time. I drove up to Tahoe (a two hour drive) a few days after getting the pins out and that was a mistake. Having my foot down in the car for two hours made it swell up terribly. So I settled into a pattern of regular icing and elevating for a few more months. I was able to start some cycling, but couldn't wear my usual shoes due to swelling.

I'm an RN, and am on my feet for 12 hours a day. I was able to go back to work full-time in November, but I took lots of ibuprofen. In January I got orthotics made, which helped some. In March I started doing some walk/running. Now I can run, but very slowly.

The good news was, I was able to start skiing in December! Skiing hurt at first, but it seemed to help that the boots are rigid so the toes stay more less still anyway. In January I got some pads for under my big toe joint that helped with pain and pressure there. Since yours is fused, you might not have that issue.

I still have some pain in my foot a year later, but I'm pretty hard on my feet.

The pins were the worst!

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Day 25
“Active wound management” required for incision site and large blood blister on the heel.
Pain is manageable, but persistent.
Transition to weight bearing in boot (with crutches) is progressing well (> 50%).
If all goes well, the pin comes out on Wednesday.
Optimism is tempered by second thoughts.
My heart goes out to those who endure the standard post-op protocol (versus early weight bearing).

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Day 28
This beauty finally came out!

7A400BE7-8C07-4D4B-A133-5E5E164A089A.jpeg

It’s hard to imagine it still looks this ugly after nearly a month.

B35AD78A-3AE6-4A77-B0F3-033810526E3A.jpeg

Three more weeks in the boot.

FWIW, the Doc says everything looks great, and I’m right on schedule, so this should give anyone interested in such a procedure reasonable expectations.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Don't ever google leg-lengthening procedures. They look flat out medieval.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don't ever google leg-lengthening procedures. They look flat out medieval.
No worries there! I had a moment again yesterday when I saw the length of the pin and the picture of the foot . . .

If I need anything more extensive done ever than what my ankle involved, I'm going to be in real trouble.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well folks, I went for a consutlation today to determine what I should do about my bunion as its getting somewhat painful and aches a majoritiy of the time.
After examining it and taking X-rays the doctor said I only have a minor bunion but mostly I have Hallux Rigidus.
He gave me some stretching things I need to do at least 2 times a day for several minutes to keep mobility in that joint.
I have hyper mobile feet and that particular joint is NOT very mobile, ugh.
He also said that some sort of surgery is in my distant future. (emphasis on distant)
scan.jpg

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Well folks, I went for a consutlation today to determine what I should do about my bunion as its getting somewhat painful and aches a majoritiy of the time.
After examining it and taking X-rays the doctor said I only have a minor bunion but mostly I have Hallux Rigidus.
He gave me some stretching things I need to do at least 2 times a day for several minutes to keep mobility in that joint.
I have hyper mobile feet and that particular joint is NOT very mobile, ugh.
He also said that some sort of surgery is in my distant future. (emphasis on distant)
View attachment 225445
Sorry to hear this. Toe changes like this are not fun.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to hear this. Toe changes like this are not fun.
The good news is, it feels okay in a ski boot because its stable and supported like a cast.

For reference here are my feet.
IMG_1689.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online