• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hallux Rigidus final solution

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Back on the old EpicSki, Bob posted a thread on his experience with Hallux Rigidus and Dr. Clanton at Steadman. Instead of electing to undertake arthrodesis, I had a cheilectomy in 2014, which was an abject failure.
Since then, I waited for new medical developments, and in fact a new implant called Cartiva was FDA approved.
Notwithstanding the hype, there were many reports of failures of the new device. In fact my own sister had a failed Cartiva implant.
So finally, after dealing with Hallux Rigidus for decades I bit the bullet on August 1 and authorized 1st MTP arthrodesis (big toe joint fusion).
For those of you dealing with the same problem, and wondering what to expect, I will post periodic updates.

The surgery began with conical reaming to prepare the joint.

My doc is a proponent of early weight-bearing, so I hope to be in a walking boot soon.
The first 2-3 weeks are non-weight bearing, with elevating and icing continuously.
7D97FE28-3898-4E21-A3CB-5037378575AE.jpeg

After 1 week the foot looked about as good as it could.
D0FE445E-81AD-4F35-9381-4941AB225D84.jpeg

On the inside, the hardware is elegantly attached. ( I also had osteotomies of the second and third metatarsals).

B6BC4552-F5AD-448B-A702-0B3616F6F3E1.jpeg

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good luck!
Lots of stuff going on -- I had to google a lot to understand this thread.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why the plates and rod on the other toe? Been curious about this because I've had that messed up feeling and periodic pain in my right big toe for about 5 years now. Used to just be a matter of cracking the toe knuckle, but now that doesn't work anymore. Usually only annoying in a minor way unless I land funny on my right foot. When I do it's days of pain higher than the normal somewhat numb feeling.

Anyway, was your other toe with the plate also injured or is that typical for treating the big to to just imobilize both?

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
The osteotomies on 2 and 3 were to deal with transfer metatarsalgia, caused by the Hallux Rigidus.
Look up Weil osteotomy.
Pain in the great toe affects the gait, and weight on the lesser metatarsals causes all kinds of problems.
I could have lived with the Hallux Rigidus, but the pain it caused in the 2nd MTP joint was at times unbearable.
See plantar plate ligament.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The osteotomies on 2 and 3 were to deal with transfer metatarsalgia, caused by the Hallux Rigidus.
Look up Weil osteotomy.
Pain in the great toe affects the gait, and weight on the lesser metatarsals causes all kinds of problems.
I could have lived with the Hallux Rigidus, but the pain it caused in the 2nd MTP joint was at times unbearable.
See plantar plate ligament.

That issue with the second toe is basically why I have quit tennis. Thanks for posting! Good job waiting, I did a fusion 6 yr ago to fix the replacement I had 12 (?) yr ago, and things have started hurting again. But I can't do anything else now. If my left foot gets bad, it's nice to know there is another option. I don't think this thread will approach the epic epicski thread ogwink but who knows.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
My doc tells me I’ll be able to play tennis again.
I hope I can find my Dunlop Maxply

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Day 14
Stitches out
6260747F-8D8B-49C6-ADB2-143F6DEEA138.jpeg

One more week non-weight-bearing.
Received a walking boot, which is indeed more comfortable than the fiberglass splint, but I can’t start using it for a week.
329E1E65-9E1D-4F02-98C7-1D36FFA3D2CC.jpeg

The KneeRover will have to be my friend for another couple of weeks. Fortunately it comes equipped with a bar.
B0CD9120-FCFC-4F49-BA1F-50C4DF4B8457.jpeg

The pain was getting manageable, until the doc adjusted the pin in my second toe with a pair of pliers. A couple of extra strength Tylenol should do the trick.
:crutches:

Last edited:
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Wrong.
Beginning to think I should have tried the Cartiva implant.
It’s hard to say whether the pain is worse from the 1st MTP arthrodesis or the two osteotomies.
I can’t believe it’s only day 16.
Going in today to get a new splint, because the one placed post-op creates a pressure point, resulting in a painful sore. Ah, if only a simple epsom salt soak were permissible! But no.
Knees are taking a beating from using the KneeRover and crawling up the stairs.
Lots of unintended and unanticipated consequences of the surgery.
Not whining-just saying.
Rehab from Cartiva May be much faster, but this is supposed to be a permanent and satisfactory solution. We’ll see.
@SBrown, is your pain in the fused joint?
My doc did mention the remote possibility of hardware removal at a later date, if necessary, which doesn’t sound like much fun.

Attachments

• 4D39E3E1-A9B3-48AB-BB12-300863E2574F.jpeg
    4D39E3E1-A9B3-48AB-BB12-300863E2574F.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 26

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had foot surgery last summer and the recovery was miserable. I had pins in all of my toes. Hang in there!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heal well, man.
We missed you when we were in Colorado this past season.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Day 21
Begin transition to weight bearing in a walking boot.
Walking with crutches, allowing 25% weight bearing in a boot.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
It's such a freeing feeling, isn't it? Congrats!
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Such liberation! Just being able to put 25% of my weight on the foot is soooooooooo wonderful!
I think I am right on schedule :crossfingers:
At this rate, I could be skiing by Christmas :daffy:

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Next milestone is in a week (28 days), when I get that awful pin out.

B6BC4552-F5AD-448B-A702-0B3616F6F3E1.jpeg

Then I will be able to take a shower without wearing this thing. :yahoo:

71+rD1DnDnL._SX522_.jpg

For those of you considering 1st MTP fusion, this is a synopsis of my experience. Yours may be different. But so far, my progress has followed very closely to my expectations.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The pin gives me the creeps. Especially when you mentioned that they twisted it or moved it or whatever - I actually shuddered.

It was this time last year that I went from cast off to partial weight bearing to full weight bearing. Sheer heaven!

Sponsor

Staff online