• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great Private Hill to Teach At?

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Fairly certain NO ski area private or public will be able to distance themselves from C19 without a mountain specific plan like A Basin did or limited day tix by on line reservation.

As far as the YC and big sky are concerned, they very entwined at this point with the club being as cautious if not more so with the virus and IMO will follow exactly what Boyne will be doing and I think most private resorts will feel the same.
A bigger problem could be the work visas and those seasonal workers that we depend on for a lot of our lift and service personnel.

At one point with the pandemic YC members could not to use any of the amenities until after they had been on premise for 14 days.

lastly, Big Sky sucks and your correct,
winters are cold and long, you wouldn’t like it.

I hear you on the work visas. Ski hills seem to be starting to fall all over themselves to recruit help.

There's a part of me that relishes long winters and a long ski season. We enjoyed that when living in the PNW. However I really enjoy 300 days of sunshine and riding in shorts and short sleeved jersey in April.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I hear you on the work visas. Ski hills seem to be starting to fall all over themselves to recruit help.

There's a part of me that relishes long winters and a long ski season. We enjoyed that when living in the PNW. However I really enjoy 300 days of sunshine and riding in shorts and short sleeved jersey in April.

Soo... Colorado or Utah for both?

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Soo... Colorado or Utah for both?

Durango, CO. Every mtn town has its plusses and minuses. Durango had more checks in the "plus" column for us. The geographic diversity is stunning. We live at 7,500'. Within 30 minutes I can be in desert arches, or high alpine.

We had a place in Jackson. Great town. Miss aspects of it. Definately falls into the "too much winter" category for us.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
By and large. Probably less about following the rules, than a life lived making prudent decisions. We looked at moving to Big Sky. Joining TYC was a big draw. Too much winter. May still end up with a place there.
PM me if you need an excellent real estate agent in the BS area.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Durango, CO. Every mtn town has its plusses and minuses. Durango had more checks in the "plus" column for us. The geographic diversity is stunning. We live at 7,500'. Within 30 minutes I can be in desert arches, or high alpine.
I'm not in your shoes, but my feeling from the other side of the divide is I'd take a year off of teaching and buy a pass to Wolf Creek to free ski.

It seems like instructing next season is going to be a pain in the ass with all the extra precautions required, while incomes will be way down with few guests signing up for lessons due to exposure risk. Will there even be group lessons?

Those that do take lessons are likely to also be taking risks in other parts of their lives, so I don't think I'd want to spend the better part of the day in close proximity to clients day after day. Even if the risk is small, the cumulative risk over a season will add up.

Skiing WC on weekdays with a few low season trips to Telluride would be a fun and safe way to spend the next ski season if it's an option.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Monarch. Its not private ,but you get a great value for your dollar there. My kids will do a lesson package a season. They both are level 7s now and get group lessons. They are usually the only 2 in the class. So they basically get all day privates.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I'm not in your shoes, but my feeling from the other side of the divide is I'd take a year off of teaching and buy a pass to Wolf Creek to free ski.

It seems like instructing next season is going to be a pain in the ass with all the extra precautions required, while incomes will be way down with few guests signing up for lessons due to exposure risk. Will there even be group lessons?

Those that do take lessons are likely to also be taking risks in other parts of their lives, so I don't think I'd want to spend the better part of the day in close proximity to clients day after day. Even if the risk is small, the cumulative risk over a season will add up.

Skiing WC on weekdays with a few low season trips to Telluride would be a fun and safe way to spend the next ski season if it's an option.

I hear ya. I think that teaching this season will be shit show. We belong to a private cliub at our hill. Most of my bookings are from come contacts there, and are privates. Everything is an option.

Taos kind of stole my heart this winter. My wife and I were looking for a 30 year anniversary destination. We were going to go to Telluride. We were booking lodging. Traveling with our pup (a working canine). Every place that we inquired (and these were in the $1000 / night range) did not want Jester in the room without us.

Called the Blake in Taos. Edwardo answered. He said "Yes. Jester can stay in your room. And we can send someone up to your room to walk him so that you can enjoy your ski day. BAM. Booked. They truly get it.

The ski industry, as a whole is so in the backwaters. Cool SAM call this week, and that thread came through.

Also check this out:

Last edited:

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Don't know about Santa Fe. Angle fire and Red River are swamped with them.
At least in Taos we can hide in the trees and bumps. Which is most of the hill.

Plenty of them in Santa Fe too, and like Taos and Angel Fire we love them! One of the best instructors here is full blooded Texan (and yes even he makes fun of them), but name a run here or in Taos and try to keep up with that cowboy!

But while sometimes they can make poking fun easy (the Texas tuck) as a group you will not find a nicer batch of people, Polite, considerate (even if they cant help being out of control), and generous tippers. It may be that we get the more family, budget-conscious, middle America types. While Santa Fe is an international destination, we have no lodging on the mountain and tend to attract a blend of customers with a pretty good size local base, but to be fair we do have a number of guests who are ultra wealthy with second homes who jet in on the weekend.

Santa Fe, part of the same mountain range as Taos is similar in the best skiing here is in the trees in hidden bowls that mostly the locals ski, so yes you can can avoid most of the Texans, especially at the holidays:). Dunno if @martyg has any interest here, if you do PM me, I’m part of the ski school management team, be glad to give you more info. :beercheer:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Plenty of them in Santa Fe too, and like Taos and Angel Fire we love them! One of the best instructors here is full blooded Texan (and yes even he makes fun of them), but name a run here or in Taos and try to keep up with that cowboy!

But while sometimes they can make poking fun easy (the Texas tuck) as a group you will not find a nicer batch of people, Polite, considerate (even if they cant help being out of control), and generous tippers. It may be that we get the more family, budget-conscious, middle America types. While Santa Fe is an international destination, we have no lodging on the mountain and tend to attract a blend of customers with a pretty good size local base, but to be fair we do have a number of guests who are ultra wealthy with second homes who jet in on the weekend.

Santa Fe, part of the same mountain range as Taos is similar in the best skiing here is in the trees in hidden bowls that mostly the locals ski, so yes you can can avoid most of the Texans, especially at the holidays:). Dunno if @martyg has any interest here, if you do PM me, I’m part of the ski school management team, be glad to give you more info. :beercheer:

The comments are mostly tongue in cheek.
Lots of Taos regulars I free ski with are Texans. But Texans are just so easy to pick on.

I am very familiar with Taos. Been skiing there since 1989. Spent several seasons there. Usually have a pass there. Family has property on the hill. We drive by every winter to check on the plumbing.
If things lighten up next season and we are able to have a gathering there. Should consider stopping by and make some turns together.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Lots of Taos regulars I free ski with are Texans. But Texans are just so easy to pick on.

I am very familiar with Taos. Been skiing there since 1989. Spent several seasons there. Usually have a pass there. Family has property on the hill. We drive by every winter to check on the plumbing.
If things lighten up next season and we are able to have a gathering there. Should consider stopping by and make some turns together.

I know they’re tongue in cheek, and there is an element in truth which makes it so funny, & yes they are easy pickens, and to be sure they are good sports about it. Just don’t be going down White Feather at the end of the day with them around lol.

Taos is my “home area,” it’s where I skied before I did this for a living, one of the Blake Grandchildren is on our staff here, awesome skier! I always see the gatherings and want to go, but I’m full time here, and in a small area & that means often more than 5 days a week. Mostly get up there late season when it’s mellow here. But now that I know you have a place on the mountain...seriously I’d like that. I need to get out and meet other skiers besides all the PSIA hacks I spend all my time around lol.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Why does it have to be a private hill? Isn’t the objective to be in a COVID-safe environment, decent terrain and conditions, attentive and earnest students, those, both adults and children, that will adhere to safe COVID practices? If so, consider
South Korea!

Phoenix Park

High1
I’d love to join their synchro team,

Then there’s JeongSeon (Olympic downhill & super G) and Yongpyong (Olympic SL & GS). I’ve been enjoying the videos at this channel

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I know they’re tongue in cheek, and there is an element in truth which makes it so funny, & yes they are easy pickens, and to be sure they are good sports about it. Just don’t be going down White Feather at the end of the day with them around lol.

Taos is my “home area,” it’s where I skied before I did this for a living, one of the Blake Grandchildren is on our staff here, awesome skier! I always see the gatherings and want to go, but I’m full time here, and in a small area & that means often more than 5 days a week. Mostly get up there late season when it’s mellow here. But now that I know you have a place on the mountain...seriously I’d like that. I need to get out and meet other skiers besides all the PSIA hacks I spend all my time around lol.
I grew up in Texas, but never considered skiing as an option because we were not the richy-rich kids at our high school that went on ski trips and came home with truck beds full of Coors! I've never actually skied out west because I didn't start until I turned 50 living in the PA/DE area with the Poconos as the closest skiing. We now ski at Killington as regulars and planning for our retirement staying in the NE for a myriad of reasons. I had hoped to do a Taos ski week after retirement next year so I could have bonded with my peeps and the PugSki crew, but C19 is throwing a wrench into my plans.

My wife is from Wisconsin and makes fun of me and my family as Texans all of the time...

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I grew up in Texas, but never considered skiing as an option because we were not the richy-rich kids at our high school that went on ski trips and came home with truck beds full of Coors! I've never actually skied out west because I didn't start until I turned 50 living in the PA/DE area with the Poconos as the closest skiing. We now ski at Killington as regulars and planning for our retirement staying in the NE for a myriad of reasons. I had hoped to do a Taos ski week after retirement next year so I could have bonded with my peeps and the PugSki crew, but C19 is throwing a wrench into my plans.

My wife is from Wisconsin and makes fun of me and my family as Texans all of the time...

I may end up at Taos this winter. Watching and listening on SAM calls to see which areas are serious about COVID, protocols, and enforcement.

One aspect holding me back from teaching in the SW is a high probability of La Nina. It might be a winter to ride the bike.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Why does it have to be a private hill? Isn’t the objective to be in a COVID-safe environment, decent terrain and conditions, attentive and earnest students, those, both adults and children, that will adhere to safe COVID practices? If so, consider
South Korea!

Phoenix Park

High1
I’d love to join their synchro team,

Then there’s JeongSeon (Olympic downhill & super G) and Yongpyong (Olympic SL & GS). I’ve been enjoying the videos at this channel

Doubt that a US passport will be any good in many countries this winter. Plus, my puppy cannot come.

If Canada opened up I road trip up there, and spend a month heli and cat skiing. Those operators must just be scratching their heads with income their income stream probably cut by 75%.

Sponsor

Staff online