• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Great Private Hill to Teach At?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Besides the obvious in Big Sky.... any others?

Based on what I am seeing of tourist traffic in our town, I want no part of teaching at a hill that is open to the public. Going someplace private.... renting a great place for the winter... Sounds like a very acceptable way to spend winter.

Thanks in advance.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Hermitage in VT?
I know people who used to teach there (kids only) and loved it.
They may not be hiring, however.
They are barely there.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No idea on private places but would presume risk lower with non destination locations ...

There are quite a few small hills in the midwest where the skiers are primarily local.

Teaching is a whole story onto itself .. I would venture to say if a hill sets up your distancing that includes not responsible for lunch, maybe outside or such, that risks are somewhat low. But I see how this alienates a young student. Adults should be fine with it but I know my kids always did more bonding with others and the instructor during lunch.

Lunch was the "coming out" time as with helmets, googles, etc, I recall often the statement that someone looked completely different than imagined. I think this is the saddest part of the whole Covid thing (well, this not considering illness or worse, death)

I am hoping a vaccine comes quick .. so far nearest is looking end of year ...

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Hermitage in VT?
They are barely there.

and deal with self richous city folk all the time? That sounds horrible. I worked for a bit at YC. No thanks

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Hermitage in VT?
They are barely there.

Thanks. I'm in the Rockies. Should have been more specific. Zero desire to go back East.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Private? You mean only to members?

Yes. Based on tourist behavior in various mtn towns I have no interest in teaching elsewhere. Not worth the hassle of dealing with people who feel that the rules don't apply to them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hermitage sold all their snowmaking equipment to Vail. Well, it was auctioned.
Not that you want to go there anyway, but don’t.
Schweitzer?
One of the NM areas that’s not Taos?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Even at Angel Fire and Ski Santa Fe?

Don't know about Santa Fe. Angle fire and Red River are swamped with them.
At least in Taos we can hide in the trees and bumps. Which is most of the hill.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Don't know about Santa Fe. Angle fire and Red River are swamped with them.

Actuallt chatting with Burt about teaching there. Right jow, NM is a shit show of COVID. A large percentage is on the res.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Do you think that the uber-rich at a private resort are going to be big on following rules?

By and large. Probably less about following the rules, than a life lived making prudent decisions. We looked at moving to Big Sky. Joining TYC was a big draw. Too much winter. May still end up with a place there.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Taos it is then. Teach advanced only.

I don’t get the definition if “private” ski area here. One not affiliated with Vail/Alterra? Or truly private?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fairly certain NO ski area private or public will be able to distance themselves from C19 without a mountain specific plan like A Basin did or limited day tix by on line reservation.

As far as the YC and big sky are concerned, they very entwined at this point with the club being as cautious if not more so with the virus and IMO will follow exactly what Boyne will be doing and I think most private resorts will feel the same.
A bigger problem could be the work visas and those seasonal workers that we depend on for a lot of our lift and service personnel.

At one point with the pandemic YC members could not to use any of the amenities until after they had been on premise for 14 days.

lastly, Big Sky sucks and your correct,
winters are cold and long, you wouldn’t like it.

Sponsor