• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I hate those things. They are the worst of both worlds. They don't add any dexterity, how could they it's just more fabric. And they prevent your fingers from keeping each other warm. And they mean a heat pack, should you need one, won't get to your fingers. I'm afraid to order mittens online because they might have those things!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Came across these yesterday... has anyone seen them or tried them? https://handoutgloves.com/

They let you unzip and fold down the top part of the glove or mitten to be able to use your fingers. It could let folks wear mittens yet still have dexterity when needed. Of course, if it's so cold you're wearing mittens, maybe unzipping isn't an option? Or maybe a glove liner in the mitten would work?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Came across these yesterday... has anyone seen them or tried them? https://handoutgloves.com/

They let you unzip and fold down the top part of the glove or mitten to be able to use your fingers. It could let folks wear mittens yet still have dexterity when needed. Of course, if it's so cold you're wearing mittens, maybe unzipping isn't an option? Or maybe a glove liner in the mitten would work?
Fisherman and hunters have had some sort of these mittens for years. This idea is not new, only the way the hand comes out of the mitten is new. Most of the older mittens that do this have the opening from the inside of the palm not from the back of the hand.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have a pair of polartec mittens for warmer days that do that. The opening is in the palm, just an overlap, no zipper needed. It's nice, but half the time I forget to use it.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All of them together is definitely warmer (and lets you shove a chem pack up there).

I would also love to know the point of the finger stalls.
+2 for plain mitts, I have poor circulation so I need all my fingers together.

But I think other people ( @Philpug ? ) like the finger dividers. If done well, they might increase grip, by preventing the layers of fabric from sliding laterally across each other:

Imagine you pinch something between thumb and index finger, in a regular mitten, now the layers of fabric slide across each other, and the mitten ends up twisted around your hand.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
+2 for plain mitts, I have poor circulation so I need all my fingers together.

But I think other people ( @Philpug ? ) like the finger dividers. If done well, they might increase grip, by preventing the layers of fabric from sliding laterally across each other:

Imagine you pinch something between thumb and index finger, in a regular mitten, now the layers of fabric slide across each other, and the mitten ends up twisted around your hand.

Hmm. Maybe. But then I don't really think the mitten buys you anything.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Why chose one when you can have the best of both worlds. With the Swany Toasters you get the dexterity of a glove coupled with the warmth of a mitten. Been my go to hand covering for over 20 years.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Why chose one when you can have the best of both worlds. With the Swany Toasters you get the dexterity of a glove coupled with the warmth of a mitten. Been my go to hand covering for over 20 years.
What are they exactly? Went to the Swany website, couldn't find out really what they were other than there's a side zipper for some reason, and possibly inner gloves (horror -- the very concept of separating the fingers we're against).

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
^^^^ There are inner liners that allow the fingers full movement inside the mitt. You can move your hand warmer around inside your mitten to where ever you want. Open the side zipper and you can pop out you lined fingers to adjust equipment. Great with kids as mine always seemed to need help adjusting something. When my hands get too warm I will ski with zipper open using my lined hands to hold the poles for a run or two. For skiing Killington were we can get some serious cold conditions they are the perfect solution. Own 11 pairs counting the ones in the retired pile. In my case where I used mittens without liners or separators my hands became wet and clammy. YMMV

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Today I tried my Dachstein mitts (boiled wool) with shells. Hands still got damp, but not distractingly so. The shells are really irritating though, very stiff and clumsy. I'd use the Dachstein mitts alone if it weren't snowing.

Just received a pair of Seirus Thermax mitten liners in the mail, hoping they do the trick for keeping my fingers all together, but wicking away moisture. We'll see on Sunday.

Really hate gloves with all that fabric between the fingers, so was happy to find, finally, mitten shaped liners.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I just gotta plug my Astis mitts again. Today was somewhat cold, very windy, and snowing like a mofo. These mitts are 100% wind and water proof. I can hold them up to my face to protect myself in brutal winds, and my hands don't get cold. At least three people gave me compliments on the cool mitts. It helps that I don't at all mind having - the word I keep thinking of is German, "auffallend" - I guess, I don't mind wearing gear that gets noticed. Quite the opposite. But really. They are so sweet.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just gotta plug my Astis mitts again. Today was somewhat cold, very windy, and snowing like a mofo. These mitts are 100% wind and water proof. I can hold them up to my face to protect myself in brutal winds, and my hands don't get cold. At least three people gave me compliments on the cool mitts. It helps that I don't at all mind having - the word I keep thinking of is German, "auffallend" - I guess, I don't mind wearing gear that gets noticed. Quite the opposite. But really. They are so sweet.

I don’t mind getting noticed, but I also don’t think there are many guys who can pull of the Astis mittens. Not me for sure. I don’t ski well enough and don’t have grace or style :)

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I used rubber gloves as a vapor barrier last week and it was awesome. My hands were significantly less cold than without, and my gloves stayed dry. I did use latex sized surgical gloves from Amazon instead of the Nitrile because they fit better. They also kept my hands warmer when I had to pull my hands out of the gloves but still maintained excellent dexterity. Yes, my hands were a little slimy at the end of the day but it sounds worse than it actually felt. I highly recommend giving it a try if cold hands are a problem. Too bad no one (whose website I'm willing to go to, for purposes I can deal with seeing) makes latex socks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

That made me poke around the website... assuming we're just talking mittens, the mid-cuff ones are much "tamer" than the long cuff ones.

https://www.astis.com/collections/mid-cuff

Like this one, for instance :

Sniktau_-_Top_View_-_1051_grande.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
Two weeks ago it was -7 degrees on the mountain in NY. I brought out my BD Mercury mitts for the first time. While my hands don't get cold easily, that day it took about 20 seconds exposure for them to start to get numb. While in the mitts my fingers felt great, even a little sweaty at the end of a couple of runs. The next week it was 10 degrees and brought my BD Guide gloves (I think) they are the ones with Gortex and Primaloft One insulation and my hands were fine but not as warm. While helping someone who fell and taking off my gloves to do so I noticed it took a bit longer to warm up from numb then the mitts the week before in colder weather.

The only time I had a problem with dexterity was when I was trying to handle my poles, sometimes I put them between fingers to do something, but that's about it.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’ve always been a fan of gloves, though I will wear mittens on occasion just because of ease.

The big secret is a warm core and warm head. Without it your extremities get cold way more easily as they are the first thing sacrificed to keep head and core warm.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January