• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
There was a time many years back when I wore a good warm pair of mittens for a season (or possibly two I cant remember) but then changed back to gloves and I really don't recall why.
Last year on a freezing cold day I was thinking about this and since then Im considering getting mittens again. My teen daughter gest cold fingers pretty fast and one the coldest days it s a pain and so I began to think mittens, But also think why not for me too?
I just cant recall if there was not a great reason I only used them for a season or two and then went back to gloves.
I suppose no reason I couldn't get them and experiment but just thought to ask what the consensus on mittens around here is.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
IMO, the only reason not to use mittens is the loss of dexterity. If that didn't bother you, then go for it. As @Philpug mentioned, lobster claws are a decent compromise between warmth and dexterity.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm a firm mittens believer. Was on the chair a few days back, this guy (on the older side, but not sure if he was older than me) says something about how cold he is. As this is from a guy, I was especially surprised. And even more because I'd been thinking about opening my pit zips. Which I told him. Then he complained about his hands. I look, he's got gloves on. I came really close to offering my mittens to him for the ride, then thought, don't go nuts. I just told him he needed to drop the gloves thing. Even if you put hot packs in them (which I never need, by the way), the packs can't get to your fingers. Totally dysfunctional, it's not like you're going to be picking up quarters off the snow.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
what about liners or battery liners or even battery gloves. Are they al more a scam than a real working solution?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wear gloves with liners except in extreme cold when I revert to mitts. On other days, if cold, I put the hand warmers in my pockets. If I put my gloves hands in my pockets on the chair ride, they warm back up.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All of the above and every combination except the "lobster claws" which to me seem ridiculous! Would leave me with a thumb and index finger to get cold and freeze for a little extra dexterity that wasn't an issue to begin with, not with lift-serve anyway.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have both mittens and gloves on my boot bag. If its 15º or less I use the mittens. Whether its the gloves or mittens I need to take them off to use my phone anyway.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For me, having different gloves for different conditions is a good solution. Mittens are definitely less dexterous than gloves, but I’d rather compromise on dexterity than warmth when it’s really cold out.

I have :

Hestra Narvik mitts for when it’s super cold,

Black Diamond Guide gloves for most days

Mammut Stoney gloves for high 20s / 30s

Hestra spring gloves (not sure what model) for really warm days

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Convertible mittens for me always. I like the use of my fingers without taking gloves off

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Gloves are fine for most days, but you can't beat a good pair of down mittens on those really cold days. Like this week in New England! And I like the ones that are open for your four fingers. With a pair of glove liners and a chemical heat pack in each, my hands are comfortable all day even with below zero wind chills. .

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
This was the après ski discussion last night. It's cold here -25C. So what to wear.

I have a quiver too and prefer gloves, but at -25C they are not warm enough. So I tried the 3 finger mitts I got from the CSIA store this year. Love them, but not warm enough. After lunch I tried DH's old Thermic mitts. The heating element is only on the back of the mitt, so not great either, but better. Today I'm going to try the el cheapo Swany down mitts I bought at Costco. A couple of years ago someone in a lesson I was taking had a heated liner that she picked up at Costco. It's meant for the hockey moms sitting in a arena, but with a waterproof over mitt??

An instructor friend that was part of the discussion last night has something she picked up at Costco too. It's layered, so I will take a look at those too to see what they are.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
interesting perspectives being shared. It seems mittens are the warmer of the two in general by popular vote. And was expected.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
I used to be liner gloves inside mittens with the chemical heater pack option, but then I discovered Free The Powder Gloves and I’m a changed man.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
Mittens are unquestionably warmer, but I hate them. I wear Kinco gloves whenever the temp is below freezing. I hardly ever get cold hands, and when I do, I add a pair of merino wool glove liners under the Kincos. Once I do that, I have yet to have a day where my hands get too cold. I tried to use the Kinco Axeman mittens at one point last year, and I couldn't have hated it more. I just use my fingers too much. It hampered how I carried my skis, how I held my poles, how I did just about anything. I wore them for one morning, then switched back to my regular gloves, and have been happy with them since. I gave the mitts to my father-in-law, who uses them when he's out on his tractor. He seems to like them fine. Me? Gloves all day.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a glove guy.....like/need the dexterity. If it's really, really cold, I will wear nitrile gloves as a first layer under my FTP gloves. Bought my first pair of Free the Powder gloves a few years ago and have not looked back!...I am hooked. I now have 3. My latest pair are the all black "Darth Vader" ones.

My wife and daughters wear mittens.

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
I'm a glove guy.....like/need the dexterity. If it's really, really cold, I will wear nitrile gloves as a first layer under my FTP gloves. Bought my first pair of Free the Powder gloves a few years ago and have not looked back!...I am hooked. I now have 3. My latest pair are the all black "Darth Vader" ones.

My wife and daughters wear mittens.

As in blue nitrile rubber gloves? How well does that work?

Sponsor