• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Glen Plake is now a PSIA examiner

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Does anybody know Glen personally? Anyone know why he's doing this, or if he is actually conducting exam snow that he's an examiner?

Everything I've seen says Glen is 100% about fun on snow, with that fun shaped by skill.

Certification exams are 100% NOT fun. Too much angst, too many hopeful candidates being surprised by a failing grade. Or at least that's the situtaion here in the northeast. The anxiety present on snow among the candidates on exam day is palpable. I've seen failed candidates screaming in the faces of the examiners who gave them the failing grade, close to punching them in the face. I've seen women who failed collapsing in tears in the bathroom. Exams are ugly; there's no fun except for those few who pass, and honestly I wouldn't call their elation fun; it's relief. I've heard for years that only 15% pass LII and LIII on average nationally. When that many students fail an exam, one might consider looking at the preparatory program leading up the the exam.

I'd love to hear more about what Glen's interest in being an examiner is. My suspicion is that he wants to be able to influence the shaping of PSIA's educational programming. I doubt he wants to examine and grade the candidates given the current situation, but I sure could be wrong. I would welcome with joy his influence in redirecting PSIA in how it prepares its certification candidates.

Here are some quotes from an interview with Glen. Read the whole thing here: https://www.skimag.com/athletes/metamorphosis-of-glenn-plake. It's the part I've bolded that leads me to believe he's interested in redirecting the way PSIA does things. Granted, I'm reading between the lines.

"I was a spokesperson for Learn a Snowsports Month and was asked on the "Today Show" to teach anchor Hoda Kotb, a first-time skier, to ski. We were on the ski lift and she asked me, 'What happens when we get to the top here?' And I thought, 'Interesting question, I have no idea.' I ended up literally carrying this woman around the ski area—that was my teaching capacity at the time. And I thought, anyone who sees this is going to think this guy has no idea what he’s doing. That night, I made a call to PSIA.

"as I moved through the process, there was nothing I could call them out on. I was like, ‘Yeah, that makes sense’ ... ‘OK, interesting,’ … ‘Yeah, can’t argue with that.’ So, I felt good about the whole process, and started thinking about Level 2 and 3, which turned out to be a little more involved. But I was never given a hall pass through the process. If anything, examiners expected me to be better than I was. That said, I went on to get my Level 2 and 3, and now I’m an official PSIA examiner.

"I feel that ski school should teach people some general backcountry technique—not snow safety, not avalanche awareness, not mountain sense, but just teach people how to use the equipment.

"We’re putting a lot of emphasis NOT on the everyday aspects of the sport, and I think we need to rediscover why we ski."

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know Gen personally, but I got to believe you're right, and I hope he does put the fun back into the PSIA organization. PSIA = Perfect Skiing Is Anal.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am not sure any examiner wants to examine....

The vast majority I have talked with, would rather lead clinics.....and not tell people they havent met a standard.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Maybe he is doing it for the money?

A lot of freeskiers make a lot less than you think and don't have much to fall on when sponsorship dries up.

Someone in the business also told me a lot more than you think end up getting addicted to pain killers after injuries, etc. Chew 'em up and spit 'em out type of industry is what I was told.

So I don't know, but possible Glen is doing it for income

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe he is doing it for the money?

A lot of freeskiers make a lot less than you think and don't have much to fall on when sponsorship dries up.

Someone in the business also told me a lot more than you think end up getting addicted to pain killers after injuries, etc. Chew 'em up and spit 'em out type of industry is what I was told.

So I don't know, but possible Glen is doing it for income

Money, not so much, health insurance, plausible!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I know the money is more of a longshot reason regarding, Glen Plake.

But you'd be surprised what I have heard some pretty famous freeskiers have done for income after their glory days. You never know.

Didn't realize he was VP of marketing at Elan though. So that would likely rule out income/related side benefit in all likelihood.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"We’re putting a lot of emphasis NOT on the everyday aspects of the sport, and I think we need to rediscover why we ski."

His lead up to that statement actually answer the question pretty well. For most, it's the dream and romance of a powder day that keep them going. That dream and romance get dashed pretty hard when one is standing there at the rope drop with three to four hundred skiers. It's more of a stampede than anything else.

" THEN:
Powder has never been that big of a deal to me. I guess because I knew how to ski powder before powder skis showed up.

NOW:
Something that drives me nuts is this frantic, inhuman addiction to a powder day. I can’t stand it, it drives me fricken nuts.

It’s just crazy how people are about powder now. That’s why I love mogul skiing so much—it doesn’t matter how many people are skiing the moguls. While it’s wonderful to have the spectacles of the sport—those once-in-a-lifetime Warren Miller moments—we need to realize that those are just spectacles. We’re putting a lot of emphasis not on the everyday aspects of the sport, and I think we need to rediscover why we ski.

We need to understand the joy of the actual sport itself, not the snow conditions."

That last line is money.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I suspect a bit of it is him wanting to leave a legacy of skiing in a better place for everyone - more people having more fun. Strikes me that it is a bit of a big challenge for one man to take on an organisation like the PSIA.

Plus he always returns to moguls. Yep it's probably the best way of cutting out BS about how good a skier someone is. But the general skiing public hate moguls, avoid them and still want to feel good about their skiing. So I see a fundamental disconnect with Plake's ambition to get everyone stoked on day to day crappy conditions and the mass market that just wants to have fun in a very manicured environment.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah the general public hates moguls because they do not possess basic skills.

I also doubt that Glen is trying to "Take on" the PSIA. The PSIA does nt do anything that would impede people's or Glen's fun. Sure individual instructor do but its just certification organization with a ton of clinic that again most people do not attend(although they are immensely more fun and informative than any exam).

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@KingGrump, I'm glad you highlighted the quote below. Yes, I think you're right. He wants PSIA to help improve the skills of US recreational skiers so they can have more fun on snow everyday, everywhere, no matter the conditions or terrain. I hope he does help PSIA find a way. It's not that PSIA is indifferent. They have national presence and tons of members. But their clout in this particular endeavor is still iffy.

We need to understand the joy of the actual sport itself, not the snow conditions.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Does anybody know Glen personally? Anyone know why he's doing this, or if he is actually conducting exam snow that he's an examiner?

"

You can hear it right from Glen on why he did this. These podcasts are really entertaining too. He talks about PSIA exams about 14:30 in this interview.

http://www.thepowellmovement.com/sh...21/sponsored-episode-15-glen-plake-part-three

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
yeah the general public hates moguls because they do not possess basic skills.

I also doubt that Glen is trying to "Take on" the PSIA. The PSIA does nt do anything that would impede people's or Glen's fun. Sure individual instructor do but its just certification organization with a ton of clinic that again most people do not attend(although they are immensely more fun and informative than any exam).

Yeah sorry poor choice of words - maybe I should have said maybe the PSIA isn't the route to it or whatever.

It's no good bemoaning people's lack of basic skills. The problem overall in the US (& globally) is that beyond a certain level people in general don't want to take lessons. Why not? Well it differs by individuals but get to the answers and you might find out how to fix it. I feel that Plake probably gets more existing intermediate skiers stoked on skiing by simply what he and Kim do to spread the joy on their tours then a 1000 PSIA instructors could do within the confines of a resort lesson business model. So to shift the paradigm I think you need to do something different - the non-lesson lesson is one thing, having low costs of entry another

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fbob I think if lessons were free we be up to our asses in people taking lessons and everyone would have a smile on their face but it’s such an expense in such an expensive sport, probably stating the obvious.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When that many students fail an exam, one might consider looking at the preparatory program leading up the the exam.

You said it. There's a segment of candidates who get lackadaisical about the Level I exam, but from what I've seen by the time they get to preparing for Level II or III, candidates are overwhelmingly very committed to the quest, and willing to put in the time and sweat. The emotional responses to coming up short would bear this out.

More than once, trainers said to me, I'm not an examiner, so I can't tell you what examiners will want. The common advice is, listen to the examiner, and do what the examiner tells you to do. If the examiner doesn't say anything, ski like the examiner skis. Good luck retraining yourself that well in the space of two days.

Is the process really that subjective?

Issues with training programs are a microcosm of issues with how the PSIA-dominated ski school world goes about adopting teaching pathways. Instructor training programs shouldn't be burdened with the disadvantages of one-time ski school lessons--lack of continuity between lessons, and the difficulty in fitting a student assessment and effective progression into the limited time allotted. Yet it hasn't been my experience that training programs can be counted on to deliver any more of a focused pathway toward a clearly defined objective. The same vagueness and disagreements in defining the purposes of lessons that limit the effectiveness of ski school lessons also impede training programs from creating progress. If those who are supposedly setting goals can't agree on the best way to teach ski school students, how are they ever going to lay out a straight path for instructors to achieve certification standards? This issue affects success in both the skiing and teaching units of examinations.

I have written before about having been on the receiving end of open conflict between trainers as to the model of turn mechanics to practice and teach. That kind of thing makes it pretty tough on those being trained.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
....If those who are supposedly setting goals can't agree on the best way to teach ski school students, how are they ever going to lay out a straight path for instructors to achieve certification standards? This issue affects success in both the skiing and teaching units of examinations.....
^^ Yeah, that. I wonder if Glen Plake can crack open this particular nut and get PSIA moving in a different direction. I bet he has just about everybody's respect. That's a start. And he's an iconoclast. That's good too. Now that he has this new platform of examiner, perhaps we'll be seeing him moving in the direction of setting policy. I'd like to hear what changes he would like to see.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online