• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frontside Ski

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
The ski would be used only on groomer days for a change of pace. But I would like a little versatility so that I can go ski the T-Bar a Breck if the whim strikes me.

If you get a ski that is really purpose built for carving firm snow, you probably won't have this desire. Where does this "whim" come from? Is this to avoid crowds or because you ski with others that would get bored of groomers? A good narrow ski will make you view conditions very differently. You will actually seek out the most scraped off areas of the mountain. Soft snow will be boring to ski by comparison.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks for the thoughts. As mentioned above this is indeed a new category for me. The ski would be used only on groomer days for a change of pace. But I would like a little versatility so that I can go ski the T-Bar a Breck if the whim strikes me. If I could I would go demo the Stöckli and the K2 ( I don't believe that is possible with the Blossom) however I am now in warm weather for the remainder of ski season. Generally I will buy a couple of pairs of new skis during the summer so that everything is mounted up and ready to go. My new big ski is identified.

One of the skis in my quiver that I love is the Mindbender 108Ti (which surprisingly absolutely rips on groomers, hard or soft, albeit it likes big turns) one review referred to the Disruption as a narrow Mindbender. Is that a good analogy? That's intriguing to me. That and I think that since K2 hired Jed Yeiser K2 is back to making good skis.

From what I have read it seems like the Stöckli and Blossom are more alike than the K2? How would you compare the on snow performance of the Stöckli and Blossom? In the Blossom review I think Pug referred to the Blossom as a "less expensive Stöckli".

I would throw the Fischer RC One 86 GT into this mix. Based on your description of what you want it to do and the skis you like, I'm betting you would be happy on this one.

BTW - Deals are starting to pop-up on this one too.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I believe I am settling in on the Laser AR in a 175. With "sales" starting the best I have seen on this ski is $1,000. What is a reasonable summer sale expectation?

Also would a Pivot with a 75mm brake fit? In Stockli's website they push the DXM binding. I believe this is a Salomon binding. Is it the STH2 WTR 13?

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
You already have a lot of great options, but I bought the Kastle MX89 (2020) recently and love them for the purposes you describe and I'm skiing midwest for local and out west frontside with them. They're amazing. I especially liked that I bought them on Ski Essentials for 60% off. They may still have them in 180 if you're interested. All the best.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I believe I am settling in on the Laser AR in a 175. With "sales" starting the best I have seen on this ski is $1,000. What is a reasonable summer sale expectation?

Also would a Pivot with a 75mm brake fit? In Stöckli's website they push the DXM binding. I believe this is a Salomon binding. Is it the STH2 WTR 13?
I beleive the graphics for the AR are carrying forward to next season, i would not expect much more of a discount on them.
The 75mm Pivot will not fit the AR. The DMX is the Warden Demo, a very good system binding but between that and the Sth2 13? I would go with the Sth2.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Also would a Pivot with a 75mm brake fit? In Stöckli's website they push the DXM binding. I believe this is a Salomon binding. Is it the STH2 WTR 13?

After everything I've read in your posts here (and elsewhere), I honestly do not think the Laser AR is what you want... and this is coming from a guy who loves the AR (read my review) and recommends it often. I really think you want a ski with a more modern geometry that can still rip the groomers. The AR has a much more traditional shape. It's not the ski you're going to want to take into Horseshoe Bowl off the t-bar. At least it wouldn't be my first choice. I wouldn't even blink at taking the 86 GT in there. That's how different the shape of these skis is.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
The AR has a much more traditional shape. It's not the ski you're going to want to take into Horseshoe Bowl off the t-bar.

Sorry for being confusing. I have plenty of skis for the bowls at Breck and any other soft snow, steep, deep etc. I am not looking at that. I am looking for a change of pace from what I have for groomer fun. Was only speculating that a friend on a groomer day says let's go up the T-Bar......

Thinking between the AX and the AR I would probably like the AR more.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have actually seen the 2022 Laser AR as skied by our local Stöckli rep (it may have been @LindseyB but I didn’t say anything since I thought @LindseyB was a woman for some reason). The top sheet is new, everything else is the same per him.
Then there should be deals to be had.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would throw the Fischer RC One 86 GT into this mix. Based on your description of what you want it to do and the skis you like, I'm betting you would be happy on this one.

BTW - Deals are starting to pop-up on this one too.

Less than $500 with bindings, yikes. The last thing I need is another pair of skis.

Has @Erik Timmerman skied this?

Question: Is the "free milled titanal" anything like free range chicken? It lived a hearty life up until it didn't?! :ogbiggrin:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
From another thread, this is the new graphics of next year’s AR.

A971848B-7A93-4DF5-80EF-57A71899CAF0.jpeg

the graphics for the AR are carrying forward to next season,

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@flbufl , if you are going to quote me (or someone else), please do not take it out if context. I said...

"I believe the graphics for the AR are carrying forward to next season."

Which means I was not sure.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Less than $500 with bindings, yikes. The last thing I need is another pair of skis.

Question: Is the "free milled titanal" anything like free range chicken? It lived a hearty life up until it didn't?! :ogbiggrin:

I hope so. I want all of my skis to be cruelty free.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
'
You already have a lot of great options, but I bought the Kästle MX89 (2020) recently and love them for the purposes you describe and I'm skiing midwest for local and out west frontside with them. They're amazing. I especially liked that I bought them on Ski Essentials for 60% off. They may still have them in 180 if you're interested. All the best.
I have the Kastle MX 89 length 180cm and love it as my daily driver. I just bought (have not skied it yet) the 2020 Kastle MX 99 length 176cm from Ski Essentials at a great price. I also have the Kastle BMX 108. I am 63 250 pounds and 5' 9". Am an expert level skier that is becoming more of a cruiser.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online