• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Frontside Ski

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Been looking at adding a front side Colorado "carver" ski after having spent so much groomer time this year. After looking at reviews, review sites etc I have my thinking narrowed to 3 skis that seem to fit the carver ski with a bit of versatility role I am looking for. Stockli Laser AR, K2 Disrupter 82TI and Blossom White Out. Thoughts on the 3? I would guess the Stockli would be the ski of choice? Obviously the Stockli is quite a bit more expensive but let's ignore that.

As for length with this type of ski? I am 6', 165/170ish. Based on what I have read it would seem that the 175 - 178 length would be about right for this type of ski?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Got on some Atomic Maverick 94(?)'s last week in some very mixed conditions; groomed to 3 day old leftovers. That was interesting. Sounds like they are building it in several widths and pushing it as an all mountain ski leaning towards front side carving. Don't have a clue on the price point but got to less than a Stockli.

bob.knox

Booting up
Skier
I am your size and ski mostly front side. If your favorite runs are more open where you can let 'em fly, don't be afraid of 180-183cm with maybe a smaller radius (R16-18). Otherwise I would not go shorter than 175 or they will be too turney. Carving is addictive, and as you do it more, your speed will increase. Longer=more stable at high speeds. Look at Stereo skis too.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The 3 have their own distinct characteristics, but I don't think I could make a recommendation without more info. Maybe we should just go get a few laps together and then I would probably know which one would work best for you. :) ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's hard to ignore the value of the Blossom, Stockli quality at mainstream pricing. The K2 will be the most hard snow biased in shape, with it's snub tip and flaired tail.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
It sounds like you're new to this particular category of ski? Maybe you should just allow yourself to "get it wrong" with this first leap into the unknown. You have chosen 3 highly regarded skis. Pick the ski that you're most excited to own.
I bet you've bought and sold a few skis in the all-mountain category while searching for the perfect egg. Allow yourself this same luxury with a carving ski. For what it's worth, my carving ski is the only one in my quiver that truly "matters" to me. The others are simple commodity items that make turns and stay afloat.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Been looking at adding a front side Colorado "carver" ski after having spent so much groomer time this year. After looking at reviews, review sites etc I have my thinking narrowed to 3 skis that seem to fit the carver ski with a bit of versatility role I am looking for. Stöckli Laser AR, K2 Disrupter 82TI and Blossom White Out. Thoughts on the 3? I would guess the Stöckli would be the ski of choice? Obviously the Stöckli is quite a bit more expensive but let's ignore that.

As for length with this type of ski? I am 6', 165/170ish. Based on what I have read it would seem that the 175 - 178 length would be about right for this type of ski?
It depends on what you want. I've not been on the Disrupter 82Ti, but a ski buddy is involved with K2 and says that ski is great, one he'll probably get from the reps.

The other two are both great skis, but distinctly different: for me the Whiteout has been swell, more versatile also; the AR a nice ski I demoed. (Both in the 176 length range - I've not had a sense of wanting longer.)

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the thoughts. As mentioned above this is indeed a new category for me. The ski would be used only on groomer days for a change of pace. But I would like a little versatility so that I can go ski the T-Bar a Breck if the whim strikes me. If I could I would go demo the Stockli and the K2 ( I don't believe that is possible with the Blossom) however I am now in warm weather for the remainder of ski season. Generally I will buy a couple of pairs of new skis during the summer so that everything is mounted up and ready to go. My new big ski is identified.

One of the skis in my quiver that I love is the Mindbender 108Ti (which surprisingly absolutely rips on groomers, hard or soft, albeit it likes big turns) one review referred to the Disruption as a narrow Mindbender. Is that a good analogy? That's intriguing to me. That and I think that since K2 hired Jed Yeiser K2 is back to making good skis.

From what I have read it seems like the Stockli and Blossom are more alike than the K2? How would you compare the on snow performance of the Stockli and Blossom? In the Blossom review I think Pug referred to the Blossom as a "less expensive Stockli".

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Similar to German cars vs Italian cars?

I have skis of both brands. I think the unique dry epoxy granule Stockli uses gives their skis a very distinct silky on-snow feel. You can easily tell you are on Stockli skis even being blindfolded. But somehow I always feel more excited when I am on Blossom skis.

My suggestion would be, get a pair from either brand this or next year, and get another pair from the other brand the year after...

How would you compare the on snow performance of the Stöckli and Blossom?

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
After researching Blossom some more I like this company. Small Italian ski maker, nice. I also realized I identified the wrong ski. I am actually thinking Cross Wind in a 178. But maybe I should be thinking White Out......

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
My suggestion would be, get a pair from either brand this or next year, and get another pair from the other brand the year after...
Yep. Dating any ONE of these skis will help you know what truly matters to you in this category.
The ski would be used only on groomer days for a change of pace. But I would like a little versatility so that I can go ski the T-Bar a Breck if the whim strikes me.
I am a big fan of the "wrong ski for the right terrain" strategy. This might become your 90% ski.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks for the thoughts. As mentioned above this is indeed a new category for me. The ski would be used only on groomer days for a change of pace. But I would like a little versatility so that I can go ski the T-Bar a Breck if the whim strikes me. If I could I would go demo the Stöckli and the K2 ( I don't believe that is possible with the Blossom) however I am now in warm weather for the remainder of ski season. Generally I will buy a couple of pairs of new skis during the summer so that everything is mounted up and ready to go. My new big ski is identified.

One of the skis in my quiver that I love is the Mindbender 108Ti (which surprisingly absolutely rips on groomers, hard or soft, albeit it likes big turns) one review referred to the Disruption as a narrow Mindbender. Is that a good analogy? That's intriguing to me. That and I think that since K2 hired Jed Yeiser K2 is back to making good skis.

From what I have read it seems like the Stöckli and Blossom are more alike than the K2? How would you compare the on snow performance of the Stöckli and Blossom? In the Blossom review I think Pug referred to the Blossom as a "less expensive Stöckli".

You can still demo the White Out from the HSS shop in Dumont (at least if they still have some, I would call first).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After researching Blossom some more I like this company. Small Italian ski maker, nice. I also realized I identified the wrong ski. I am actually thinking Cross Wind in a 178. But maybe I should be thinking White Out......
Both skis are the same construction. Tip & tail abre basically the same but it is the waist that differs with the WO being 77mm and the CW 85. This does create a bit more off piste versatility for the 85 but you lose some of the playfulness of the 77. It comes down to what you want.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a matter of note Mike at Premier Skis informed me that the price on the Blossoms no longer includes the bindings.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
I am skiing the K2 Disruption 82Ti in a 177cm this year and absolutely love it. It took me a little while to get the hang of it as it is stiffer than skis I've been on in recent years. I'm 57, 5'10" 190lb skier in PA, so the hills we have are shorter than most. With it's 18.4 radius it is a little longer than suits our little hill. I think it would be perfect for bigger mountain groomer days.

With the right pressure you can get it to do shorter radius turns, and I just spent the weekend ripping up and down our hill. I do think it is versatile enough that you can skid it without issue and I've spent some time in the bumps and it hasn't punished me at all.

The other cool part about it is I have not seen another pair on the hill all year.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
How furious do you ski? How fast, how aggressively? Go longer of you're a higher energy skier, and vice versa. Longer skis are made stiffer. Shorter skis are made softer. Skis that are too short & soft are disappointing. Skis that are too long & stiff can be hard work and not a lot of fun.

What skis to you have now that work really well for you? Where does that ski place in the lengths made in that make & model? Ignore the actual length. If your current great skis are, say, one length less than the max in that line, get the same position in the line up for your new skis.

I'm 5-11, 170#, moderately aggressive. The ski length works great for me one length less than the max in a line of skis. That puts me on 180cm Kore 99, 175 Stöckli Laser AX, 170 Head Supershapes, and each works just right for me.

TS
Quandary

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
185 Praxis 9D8, 184 ON3P Billy Goat, 179 K2 Mindbender 108TI (186 is the alternative). I would not change out any of these skis for one in a different length.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How furious do you ski? How fast, how aggressively? Go longer of you're a higher energy skier, and vice versa. Longer skis are made stiffer. Shorter skis are made softer. Skis that are too short & soft are disappointing. Skis that are too long & stiff can be hard work and not a lot of fun.

What skis to you have now that work really well for you? Where does that ski place in the lengths made in that make & model? Ignore the actual length. If your current great skis are, say, one length less than the max in that line, get the same position in the line up for your new skis.

I'm 5-11, 170#, moderately aggressive. The ski length works great for me one length less than the max in a line of skis. That puts me on 180cm Kore 99, 175 Stöckli Laser AX, 170 Head Supershapes, and each works just right for me.

I don't agree that you can depend on the notion that shorter skis are always softer in a model line (and vice versa). It's just not consistently like that in my experience.

I also do not select ski length based on anything but what radius turns I want from the ski in general. If you like longer turns and want more stability at speed, go longer. If you like to noodle down the mountain at slower speeds with lots of turns, go shorter. When selecting a ski you should match the flex of the ski to your body weight, the forces you generate, and how much rebound you want/need from the ski. That's where body weight comes into play. I have 163cm skis up to 190cm skis. Totally depends on what I need the tool to do.

Sponsor