• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flat light goggle question

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have any of you raving about yellow and orange ever tried clear? Just curious if you have any comparison data.
Been a few years since I tried a yellow lens but I generally prefer the Oakley Prizm lenses over amber tints, and I strongly prefer the Prizm Clear (not quite a fully clear lens) over their usual light pink base tint for flat light. It’s just better in every way.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In effect, but they do make clear lenses, that's what I use in my Smith I/O goggles in flat light.

Good to hear someone else sees it as I do (pun intended.)

Some day I'd love to A/B nice contrast enhancing lenses with clear lenses, but skiing is skiing and I don't know if I'll ever bother to do that lol.

I don't care how great a yellow lens may improve visibility, I live by the adage of not eating yellow snow and also not skiing it. I simply cannot stand looking at a yellow-tinted world. Rose for me. I prefer looking at the world through rose-colored glasses. ;) :)
I tend to use clear or slightly tinted (rose), S0. I don't really care for color wash, love brightness of summer and winter days.

My clear are polarized which I've read lessons some depth perception, but seem to work for me.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
everyone's eyes are different. I've tried different colors and clear options. For my eyes nothing beats yellows. I Ski a ton in storms in the Cottonwoods. for me, nothing beats Oakleys High Yellow.

HIGH INTENSITY YELLOW

• LIGHT TRANSMISSION: 80%
  • LIGHT CONDITIONS: SNOW & OVERCAST
  • BASE LENS COLOR: YELLOW
  • INFORMATION NOTICE: 1

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
everyone's eyes are different. I've tried different colors and clear options. For my eyes nothing beats yellows. I Ski a ton in storms in the Cottonwoods. for me, nothing beats Oakleys High Yellow.

HIGH INTENSITY YELLOW

Could you see with these at Alta yesterday (Feb 18)?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah i wore them yesterday at Alta. Super heavy day. Didn't have any issues.

we did stick by the trees when the storm was really blasting
Yeah, I was there. Visibility was a challenge most of the day, but got really bad in the afternoon. I couldn’t see a thing on my last run.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Yeah, I was there. Visibility was a challenge most of the day, but got really bad in the afternoon. I couldn’t see a thing on my last run.
me and a couple buddies been using the Oakley Target Line L's as our go to storm goggles. been very happy with them the last couple years. Price isnt too bad either

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

HIGH INTENSITY YELLOW

I've been looking for hi yellow lenses in ski goggles. Is this what you are talking about?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think this is very dependent person to person.
I don't like oakleys but I like smith lenses, in terms of the optics, but a friend of mine is the reverse.

This. Had Oakleys for a long time. Tried Smith on the hype. Hated them, gave them to a friend. Got Oakleys again.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have Blender goggles with yellow low light lenses. I was trying to clean my lenses and couldn't get them clean. Until I looked at the same view with no goggles and my eyes were messier than the lenses. I struggle with flat light.

So I bought some different lenses. VLT still 50% but blue (I did read the post about the NASA research). I also got some rose lenses (50% also). Experiment time!

My eyes still suck and we had to seek out the trees. Winner by a tiny margin: rose lenses. But any of the low light lenses would be acceptable. Use the newest or cleanest lenses.

Blender goggles rock! (San Diego company!)

Eric

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ha! I've been dealing with the same: "why can't I get my lenses clean?!?! .... oh, wait ......."
Someday we'll be able to get eye replacements, but not in our time :(

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Have any of you raving about yellow and orange ever tried clear? Just curious if you have any comparison data.
Back when I did night league racing I tried both. I found them both equally fine at night. There were lights on the trails.

During the day when there is flat light I prefer high yellow but it's hard to find in a ski goggle. The dark amber ones I have are great on a sunny day. That goggle is all I've had for a while so I've used it everyday this season even on flat light days. It works just fine and I see variations in light and shadow better than with other color lenses.

I've just ordered the Oakley High Yellow lenses that a number of people have recommended here and I will give them a try soon. The inside is a light barely-there yellow. Is that supposed to be high intensity? In comparison with hunter/shooter high intensity yellow they appear weak. I'll find out when I wear them.

Oddly these Oakleys appear blue on the exterior. I'm guessing the blue is a reflective coating of some sort. None of the yellow lenses I've used before looked blue on the exterior, and none have had such a barely-there yellow look to them.

Last edited:

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just got new Smith I/O's with the photocromatic lenses, they also come with ChromaPop™ Storm Yellow Flash.

We'll see what I think. Clear has alway worked for me, but no clear with these unless I buy extra.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
When it's flat out crappy visability I use my windjackets with clear lenses. When it's a mixture I use my windjackets with the blue lense that's for sun/clouds. This combo seems to work. I've 3 friends wtih glade goggles with photochromatic lenses that are frameless so I might venture back go goggle land to give these a whirl.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ongoing experiment: Today went out with low light rose Blender goggles. The visibility was barely OK with occasional patches of sun. Overall, I was quite happy with my selection. Until I went inside. Everything inside in the low light was in a yellow haze. Maybe I needed a darker lens on the hill. The haze was temporary and I could still see quite well but that was an interesting effect.

So I went out after lunch on the blue low light lenses. The light had deteriorated to difficult flat light. The blue tint didn't help and I was very uncomfortable all afternoon. No yellow haze but no warning for most of the bumps in the middle of the hill.

Yellow or rose for tomorrow - if the resorts and highways are open.

Eric

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When it's flat out crappy visability I use my windjackets with clear lenses. When it's a mixture I use my windjackets with the blue lense that's for sun/clouds. This combo seems to work. I've 3 friends wtih glade goggles with photochromatic lenses that are frameless so I might venture back go goggle land to give these a whirl.

Hey, did i mention Wind Jackets are back from the dead? By popular demand obviously. Good to see Oakley came to their senses.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Hey, did i mention Wind Jackets are back from the dead? By popular demand obviously. Good to see Oakley came to their senses.

Me too.

I've been a windjacket gal for years now. I'll unofficially credit myself for helping with the revival.

I love these effin things... Not to mention they look pretty cool and I always get compliments on them. These are perfect for sun/clouds.... such clarity.....

1709673209147.png

I also love my Blenders. I don't ski with these but they are my official bromley work sun glasses

1709673160771.png

Sponsor

Staff online