• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer The Curv

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
First turns on my new Curvs today. First of all, this line includes three skis (4 in 2018) there is The Curv, Curv DTX and Curv Ti, mine are The Curv which is pretty much the same construction as their RC4 race skis with two sheets of 0.8mm titanal and a two piece race plate that looks almost identical to the World Cup race skis' plates, the difference being aluminum inserts vs. carbon fiber inserts The plates are pre-drilled for Tyrol and it comes with a Z13 binding with diagonal heels. They include a pair of toe shins in the box if you want to gas pedal your bindings. I decided to start out with the shims in place. The skis are understated and good looking despite the neon Fischer logo and glow in the dark yellow bases (with harder black Ptex right next to the edges). When I first saw them lined up with all the other Fischers they didn't really stand out, you kind of have to view them on their own to appreciate them. The top sheets are a mix of shiny black and matte black with the shiny parts being semi-translucent and giving you a peek at the skis guts if you are in good light and paying attention. I also appreciate how they have pulled back the top sheet along the edges exposing a long strip of titanal and protecting the top sheets from chipping damage. The base has a nice looking fingerprint type grind. At first glance I thought the grind was too deep, but it skis well.

I took 'em out for my first ski day of the year today not sure quite what I'd find. I skied the DTX for a few runs last year and it was great, but this one goes to 11. My skis are the 178 which has an 18m TR. I found that they were well balanced and easy to turn, not a runaway train at all. The snow was a bit soft and sticky and visibility was not great due to snowmaking so I kept it mellow, but really happy with them so far. My plan for these is to replace my trusty Firearrow 84s, those have been my favorite ski for a few years now, I've just wished that they were narrower. At 72mm and with the same TR, these feel like they will do the job as a hard snow ripper and bump ski.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This ski has peaked my interest. Mostly because of the mini write up Blister gave it in their buyers guide. Sounds like you like it. Can you give a little more feedback. I am a big guy and would be looking at the longest length, 185. One thing I am not clear on is it the same ski at the different lengths, the verbage on Fishers website is a little confusing about that.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I've got 4 days on it now and am really happy to have chosen it. I've enjoyed how it is really easy to transition from full carve to drift. Finally got into some bumps today (Mousetrap at Killington, nothing big) and it was nice there. I think I'd compare it to the Fischer RX which I really love it has that really smooth feel, smoother than my Nordicas were. I'm not quite sure what your question is about longer lengths, like does waist width change? is that what you mean? As far as I know, it is 72mm waist all the way through and radius goes up, I think the 186 is 19.5m vs the 18m 178.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I read the Fischer site pretty quick and thought there was a slalom ski and a GS ski based on this picture. I guess the radius just varies with length based on the constant width. All the lengths are "cheater GS skis"

upload_2016-12-1_21-4-51.png

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
OK, yeah, and what they are saying is that they don't necessarily want you to size your ski based on your weight or height, but more by what kind of turn you want to be. I like the 18m size, so got the 178.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Good info on a great ski. I test a lot of "carvers" every year and had recently been on a Head Master's GS for a few years. Interestingly, I was testing at Mammoth last year, and at the time was not carrying Fischer. I found a lot of really great skis in the category and didn't really need another brand at the shop I was buying for at the time. However, a friend was considering the Rep job for Fischer and she asked me to ski a couple. I had the time and so I did.

The first was a pro mtn 86 and I was very pleasantly surprised as I thought is was great improvement over the Motive when last I skied it. Then, I skied the Curv and I have to say, I wasn't impressed....I was dazzled. The Curv that I tested was a 171 and I found that it was grippy and damp and of course somewhat turnier than the Heads that I've been on. The biggest positive for my tastes was that it was easier to ski in traffic than the Heads and would bend better at slower speeds. I had been intending to replace the Heads for that very reason and the Curv blew my socks off in the same way that the Stockli SC did. I also found that when skiing with my head instead of my ego.....the Fischer was stable enough for any speeds that I feel that I should be skiing at.

The worm turns and now I am buying for a shop that does carry Fischer. I can still get Stocklis if I want them but the Fischer will go in the quiver instead.

SJ

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I don't think anyone will find that The Curv isn't enough ski. At this point I have respect for them if you know what I mean. Sort of like certain race skis I have owned. What is great though is that you don't have to be at ludicrous speed to get them out of the boredom zone (like you do with say, a SG ski). Seriously, I don't care who you are, you won't overpower this ski, and if you are not sure it's for you, get the Curv DTX!

James

Out There
Instructor
You're both talking about the Curve model without the suffixes right?

How's the flex compared to your old Fire arrow 84 edt evo?

So in terms of levels from the top down it's Curve, Curve Dtx, and Curve ti?

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yeah, that's right, Curv, Curv DTX, Curv Ti. I haven't flexed it next to the FA84, but I'd say the flex is firmly in race stock if not World Cup race stock world.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good info on a great ski. I test a lot of "carvers" every year and had recently been on a Head Master's GS for a few years. Interestingly, I was testing at Mammoth last year, and at the time was not carrying Fischer. I found a lot of really great skis in the category and didn't really need another brand at the shop I was buying for at the time. However, a friend was considering the Rep job for Fischer and she asked me to ski a couple. I had the time and so I did.

The first was a pro mtn 86 and I was very pleasantly surprised as I thought is was great improvement over the Motive when last I skied it. Then, I skied the Curv and I have to say, I wasn't impressed....I was dazzled. The Curv that I tested was a 171 and I found that it was grippy and damp and of course somewhat turnier than the Heads that I've been on. The biggest positive for my tastes was that it was easier to ski in traffic than the Heads and would bend better at slower speeds. I had been intending to replace the Heads for that very reason and the Curv blew my socks off in the same way that the Stockli SC did. I also found that when skiing with my head instead of my ego.....the Fischer was stable enough for any speeds that I feel that I should be skiing at.

The worm turns and now I am buying for a shop that does carry Fischer. I can still get Stocklis if I want them but the Fischer will go in the quiver instead.

SJ
So, how would you choose length on this ski. If I understand correctly (I've never been a racer), you would choose a ski like this based more on the size turns you want to make, not your height/weight? I am becoming a bigger and bigger fan of Fischer skis . . .

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Yes. Choose for the turn you want. I picked 178 for 18m, saw a guy on Saturday who is bigger than me skiing the 171 Curv DTX and is happy as a clam.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, that's right, Curv, Curv DTX, Curv Ti. I haven't flexed it next to the FA84, but I'd say the flex is firmly in race stock if not World Cup race stock world.
So, the DTX and Ti are both stiffer than the Curv (no suffix)? And even if you are say 210 lbs (but more of a finesse skier), you don't need any suffixes?

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Yes. Choose for the turn you want. I picked 178 for 18m, saw a guy on Saturday who is bigger than me skiing the 171 Curv DTX and is happy as a clam.

That's a really big dude then... You're not a small person.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, the DTX and Ti are both stiffer than the Curv (no suffix)? And even if you are say 210 lbs (but more of a finesse skier), you don't need any suffixes?
Other way around. The Curve is at the top. I've heard "it's a lot of ski" at a shop that only has the middle one, the Dtx.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider

Yes, the no suffix Curv is the top model. I am also about 210 and felt no handicap on the 171. In fact, that is the size I would buy. The times where the length and longer radius of say a 178 would for me at least be outweighed by the greater utility of the shorter, tighter turning ski. Besides, you can ski irresponsibly fast on the 171. I will say that the Curv is a lot of ski but not overpowering in the same sense that a FIS ski is (for me anyhow). In days past maybe I left my brain in the parking lot from time to time. Nowadays I tend to take the brain along and leave my ego there.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, the no suffix Curv is the top model. I am also about 210 and felt no handicap on the 171. In fact, that is the size I would buy. The times where the length and longer radius of say a 178 would for me at least be outweighed by the greater utility of the shorter, tighter turning ski. Besides, you can ski irresponsibly fast on the 171. I will say that the Curv is a lot of ski but not overpowering in the same sense that a FIS ski is (for me anyhow). In days past maybe I left my brain in the parking lot from time to time. Nowadays I tend to take the brain along and leave my ego there.
Thanks @Sierrajim . So, do you have any of these at BZ in the demo fleet?

I would definitely take your advice and size down. If I am going for this type of ski, I want turny. I don't ski all that fast, I just love the feel of true edge hold on a groomer and I've never gone this far in that direction. But one day I might like to try it.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

You're finding it manageable in bumps, etc.? (Considering virtually everything at Stowe is a bump run right now, I'm guessing that's a "yes"). I've always found skis that are "race ski" stiff are nightmarish in bumps

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
Thanks @Sierrajim . So, do you have any of these at BZ in the demo fleet?

I would definitely take your advice and size down. If I am going for this type of ski, I want turny. I don't ski all that fast, I just love the feel of true edge hold on a groomer and I've never gone this far in that direction. But one day I might like to try it.

Sorry, I don't at least at this point. I do have a Head iRace in 170 (14m) in the fleet that I intended to ski Monday or Tuesday but have come down with a cold so I stayed in. I also have Head Magnum and Rally in that size as well. Neither of those however are at the same level as the Curv or the iRace but they are fantastic skis in their own right.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sorry, I don't at least at this point. I do have a Head iRace in 170 (14m) in the fleet that I intended to ski Monday or Tuesday but have come down with a cold so I stayed in. I also have Head Magnum and Rally in that size as well. Neither of those however are at the same level as the Curv or the iRace but they are fantastic skis in their own right.
no worries. I am just in the "intrigued" stage at this point. But if you do put one in the fleet, by all means let me know!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
You're finding it manageable in bumps, etc.? (Considering virtually everything at Stowe is a bump run right now, I'm guessing that's a "yes"). I've always found skis that are "race ski" stiff are nightmarish in bumps

I think he as been using his Motive 95s more in the bumps....

Probably mostly due to how rocky some of the non groomers runs are right now.

Sponsor

Staff online