• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First season, utterly hooked

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
At my age, I am lucky if I remembered what I had for breakfast this morning.

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. - Oscar Wilde
When people tell me they've learned from experience, I tell them the trick is to learn from other people's experience. - Warren Buffett
Had this 80+ year old named Cliff show us the way to Imperial at Breck... But also I've had a 75 year old pass me on my kayak race too I hope to be one of you someday!

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
It's frequently a little icy at HV, but this video and seeing the ski team kids lay it down and carve made the icy stuff much more fun.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@MoSkyrPls ... howdie.

I'm north up in Iowa so I'm luckier in that I have a few "bigger" near by options, but hey, I've heard good things about (I'm presuming) Snow Creek?

there's a good number of clubs down there as well as Sitzmark .. I used to pick up discounted lift tickets there. things changed a lot in the last 5 yrs but always some good options if you have time to plan.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
…but so far I do feel a certain pride for being "self-taught" though I'm very aware of the benefits of formal instruction from an expert.

Being self taught is a slippery slope, so to speak.

Most everything in life, including skiing bumps, boils down to basics. Gain some degree of proficiency with the basics through instruction.

This will be year 62 for me. I’ll probably be in various clinics and camps for 10 plus days. The journey never stops.

Best to you.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Most everything in life, including skiing bumps, boils down to basics. Gain some degree of proficiency with the basics through instruction.

This will be year 62 for me. I’ll probably be in various clinics and camps for 10 plus days. The journey never stops.

Best to you.

As an adult learner, i found that it is not just what you learn from the instructor but also avoiding getting into bad habits that are really hard to eradicate (skiing from the torso, leaning back, following the skis, etc).

Me? I got into instruction a bit late in the learning process. Still fighting some of those bad habits. Live and learn !

Last edited:
TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier

Best to you.
I very much agree, and it's highly likely I'll get some instruction when I find just the right situation. However, it's been a wonderful challenge so far that seemingly has gone quite well.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I very much agree, and it's highly likely I'll get some instruction when I find just the right situation. However, it's been a wonderful challenge so far that seemingly has gone quite well.

Right on.

Keep this in mind... you are likely not building true capacity - that is you are likely not building strong (efficient movement patterns) fundamentals. You are likely building compensation. Do what you are doing for a number of years, seek out instruction years from now because you cannot ski bumps, steeps, crud, powder (pick one), and you will likely have to rewire those movement patterns that have been ingrained for years.

There are some good instructors in the Midwest. Hit me up if you want a name or two.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Right on.

Keep this in mind... you are likely not building true capacity - that is you are likely not building strong (efficient movement patterns) fundamentals. You are likely building compensation. Do what you are doing for a number of years, seek out instruction years from now because you cannot ski bumps, steeps, crud, powder (pick one), and you will likely have to rewire those movement patterns that have been ingrained for years.

There are some good instructors in the Midwest. Hit me up if you want a name or two.
Hey I'm still doing my homework, I'm just in an online class. I've been watching a healthy amount of ski instruction videos, visualizing, trying exercises out... I try to keep my ear open to what the ski team is doing when they have practice at my local slope. I'm even considering learning how to skate on a pump track to see if there's any crossover with mogul skiing.

I'm hungry for progression, and as soon as that stops I'll NEED lessons to understand what I'm doing wrong, but even for me, it's been pretty easy to understand what I need to improve so far. The fact that I actually want to ski trees and look forward to it should say something. It's not pretty, but I'm functional and have goals for next season already.

That being said, I would like to know some good instructors, but I have a feeling I'll be picky because to me, this has become a very spiritual journey, and I must have a true shaman.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm…. There are no true shamans. There are no secrets. Spiritual growth, and skiing growth, do not happen because of a guru, growth happens as result of your practice and your eventual mastery of basic principles.

If you are hungry for progression, you need lessons now, not later. Take lessons, or take some clinics where you are exposed to multiple instructors. Pick the one(s) you connect with the most, who help you progress the most.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Have known a few really good self taught skiers. They pretty much all came from being very accomplished athletes from other sports; skating, hockey, or surfing are very common cases. The other thing these skiers had in common is they skied with people who were very good skiers, and normally in their tracks. Thinking back, watching these same skiers they often had some very questionable movement patterns when skiing on their own (especially the surfers).
This is what lessons with a good instructor offer, with the benefit of feedback.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Hmmm…. There are no true shamans. There are no secrets. Spiritual growth, and skiing growth, do not happen because of a guru, growth happens as result of your practice and your eventual mastery of basic principles.

If you are hungry for progression, you need lessons now, not later. Take lessons, or take some clinics where you are exposed to multiple instructors. Pick the one(s) you connect with the most, who help you progress the most.
My ski instructor is someone I will remember for my entire life, I would like it to be someone who stands out and deserves that in my eyes. Both in knowledge and personality. I'm also not having any issues finding areas to improve, and I'm seeing good progress. Could I benefit from an instructor, yes... Do I NEED one right now... Absolutely not. If the right one presents themselves, or if I find myself at St. Anton and Benny Walch is available, I'll definitely take some lessons.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
My ski instructor is someone I will remember for my entire life, I would like it to be someone who stands out and deserves that in my eyes.
You're putting way too much pressure on what will most likely be a routine and basic beginner lesson that focusses on correcting all the bad habits you've taught yourself. Frankly, your first instructor will likely be a teenager. And will be able to ski laps around you blindfolded on one ski.

Be excited, but also be realistic. You'll be better off with a lesson. But if you're having fun as it is, who am I to judge? Just know the skiers code.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
You're putting way too much pressure on what will most likely be a routine and basic beginner lesson that focusses on correcting all the bad habits you've taught yourself. Frankly, your first instructor will likely be a teenager. And will be able to ski laps around you blindfolded on one ski.

Be excited, but also be realistic. You'll be better off with a lesson. But if you're having fun as it is, who am I to judge? Just know the skiers code.
If they're not an exceptional teacher, what's the point? I'm completely capable of understanding and applying the theory, and there are plenty of instructors creating great videos on just about any technique or drill.

I'm more realistic than it may seem, and my structured and physics based approach to learning new skills seems to be working exceptionally well. So until I feel completely lost without a direction, or I find an exceptional teacher, I'm not sure there's a huge need for one. It's actually possible to correctly learn this on your own, not saying it's easy, just gotta have good information and good motivation, and real practice.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's actually possible to correctly learn this on your own, not saying it's easy, just gotta have good information and good motivation, and real practice.
You have 25 days on snow and some of the people giving you advice here have thousands as well as PSIA certifications. You do you, though. Ultimately doesn't matter as long as you're having fun and are not a danger to anyone else.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Qft. Locally the learn and earn package is 3 group lessons which typically takes a skier from neverever to skiing blues. Something like that and a pair of good fitting boots will be the bestminvestment op can make this season.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
You have 25 days on snow and some of the people giving you advice here have thousands as well as PSIA certifications. You do you, though. Ultimately doesn't matter as long as you're having fun and are not a danger to anyone else.
Honestly, I've put in the work and my commitment has been anything but average for a first year skier. The number of days I have on snow is not obvious in the way I ski, or so I'm told. I'm not trying to be cocky, but I don't learn the same as other people and I've progressed a lot faster than I should have, at least in other people's minds. It was a goal I set for myself though and I wanted to entirely jump the beginner stage, or at least fool people into thinking I have, however it seems.

Still, if the progress stops or I find the instructor I've been searching for, I'm down.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Qft. Locally the learn and earn package is 3 group lessons which typically takes a skier from neverever to skiing blues. Something like that and a pair of good fitting boots will be the bestminvestment op can make this season.
It's hard for me to say where I need to start... I feel silly saying I'm a beginner because I know I'm a bit past that, but I still feel stupid saying I'm intermediate... But basically I'd say I'm a few days away from feeling confident on moguled blues. Groomed blacks and blues aren't a problem. Trees are becoming very fun.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's déjà vu all over again. :ogcool:

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
It's déjà vu all over again. :ogcool:
I'll forever have to defend having learned on my own. Even if it goes well. Just more motivation to actually do it right! Maybe someone from here can run into me someday and judge how well I have or haven't done

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We have Gatherings, regional Gatherings, mini-Gatherings. A great time to ski with other people from here. My observations are we don’t typically judge each other, rather we tend to evaluate our own skiing in relationship to how we keep up with others in different terrain. It’s about having a good time together.

If you want feedback on your skiing, that’s what instructors are for. Movement Analysis is part of the package; we’re coached on making observations of a student’s movements before suggesting a movement adjustment/correction. Sometimes people post video for others to critique and make suggestions, personally I find it’s not as helpful as clinics where an instructor has taken video and shared what they see of the movement patterns and the resulting ski/snow interactions, and then coach me on adjustments and how to implement those changes. It’s a muct faster process than watching videos, even good ones from renown teachers/experts, and trying to DIY.

Otherwise, enjoy your skiing!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online