• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First season, utterly hooked

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Hey! I'm stuck in Missouri but at least within 30 mins of a ski hill. I got about 25 days in this year, about 10 of which were at Keystone and 1 at Breck, everything else was making the best of Hidden Valley here in Missouri. This first season has been such an amazing experience in so many ways. At 34 as of a few days ago, I started pretty late, but I've always loved the winter Olympics and skiing/snowboarding games. I feel like I'm trying to makeup for years of knowledge and experience I don't have in a short period of time, but so far it's been extremely rewarding and has gone pretty well with only minimal injuries.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome! Glad you found SkiTalk.com

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hey! I'm stuck in Missouri but at least within 30 mins of a ski hill. I got about 25 days in this year, about 10 of which were at Keystone and 1 at Breck, everything else was making the best of Hidden Valley here in Missouri. This first season has been such an amazing experience in so many ways. At 34 as of a few days ago, I started pretty late, but I've always loved the winter Olympics and skiing/snowboarding games. I feel like I'm trying to makeup for years of knowledge and experience I don't have in a short period of time, but so far it's been extremely rewarding and has gone pretty well with only minimal injuries.
Welcome home! And to this beautiful way of life (sport is an understatement IME) :)

You probably know this, but many Creme of the Crop ski racing superstars were raised in bunny hills nearby home. Make good use of your local hill, get some narrow skis to practice technique and then you'll enjoy those tripa to big mountains a lot more.

I started later, a few years ago. My goal (which I mostly achieved) was to be able to ski pretty much anywhere safely. The freedom to move around on the mountain is truly a Blessing. And the road to that is practice in mellow groomed runs. And enjoy the process. Skiing is fun. Always. Everywhere
:yahoo:

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Welcome home! And to this beautiful way of life (sport is an understatement IME) :)

You probably know this, but many Creme of the Crop ski racing superstars were raised in bunny hills nearby home. Make good use of your local hill, get some narrow skis to practice technique and then you'll enjoy those tripa to big mountains a lot more.

I started later, a few years ago. My goal (which I mostly achieved) was to be able to ski pretty much anywhere safely. The freedom to move around on the mountain is truly a Blessing. And the road to that is practice in mellow groomed runs. And enjoy the process. Skiing is fun. Always. Everywhere
:yahoo:
I've actually been riding Dynastar m-free 99s in 179 length and I love them, but I'm considering something that will hold an edge better on ice and not chatter. The m-free 99s would become my ideal condition, fun skis and now I need a workhorse for the nasty stuff. My main critical challenge for next season is upping my boot game. I have K2 bfc 100 but absolutely one size too big, but otherwise they were exceptionally comfortable, I'd like something lighter and tighter for next season, but I'm not entirely sure if I need a stiffer boot yet or not since I know I haven't had a tight enough fit to really use the boot well. I got rubbed raw pretty well when I started doing moguls/trees on my second trip to Keystone.

As soon as our hill opened here, I put in two 12 hour days back to back, 9-9, probably hitting the exact same run close to 200 times 300 feet of vert earned each time... Days like that really helped bridge the gap between trips and it really expands the enjoyment of my daily life here. It makes the work day immensely easier when I'm going skiing after work, even if the runs only last 30 seconds. The stoke lasts much, much longer.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome to this society of lost souls. All ye who enter here give up hope.

Seriously welcome. One of the best endeavors ever thought up. Probably invented by hunters or from drinking. Maybe hunters while drinking.

Don't get too lost in the right equipment (except for your boots). More issues will be overcome by technique than equipment.

Show us pictures of your mighty Hidden Valley; we like pictures.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Welcome to this society of lost souls. All ye who enter here give up hope.

Seriously welcome. One of the best endeavors ever thought up. Probably invented by hunters or from drinking. Maybe hunters while drinking.

Don't get too lost in the right equipment (except for your boots). More issues will be overcome by technique than equipment.

Show us pictures of your mighty Hidden Valley; we like pictures.
I get so lost in both technique and gear. I love it all.

If I don't make significant improvements in my mogul skiing I want to take actual lessons, but so far I do feel a certain pride for being "self-taught" though I'm very aware of the benefits of formal instruction from an expert. I also feel a huge sense of imposter syndrome since I dove in, bought a whole setup and take it way too seriously.

Attachments

• 20221227_092625-01.jpeg
    20221227_092625-01.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230131_171239-01.jpeg
    20230131_171239-01.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 43

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@MoSkyrPls Love your pictures Thanks, Have had many good times on speed bumps like that.
It is not so much the size of the hill as the size of the grin.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I've actually been riding Dynastar m-free 99s in 179 length and I love them, but I'm considering something that will hold an edge better on ice and not chatter. The m-free 99s would become my ideal condition, fun skis and now I need a workhorse for the nasty stuff. My main critical challenge for next season is upping my boot game. I have K2 bfc 100 but absolutely one size too big, but otherwise they were exceptionally comfortable, I'd like something lighter and tighter for next season, but I'm not entirely sure if I need a stiffer boot yet or not since I know I haven't had a tight enough fit to really use the boot well. I got rubbed raw pretty well when I started doing moguls/trees on my second trip to Keystone.

As soon as our hill opened here, I put in two 12 hour days back to back, 9-9, probably hitting the exact same run close to 200 times 300 feet of vert earned each time... Days like that really helped bridge the gap between trips and it really expands the enjoyment of my daily life here. It makes the work day immensely easier when I'm going skiing after work, even if the runs only last 30 seconds. The stoke lasts much, much longer.

Yes, definitely get snug boots with a good bootfitter. She will help with the decision on Flex, not just size. It depends on many factors including your size.

A wider ski will give you a sense of confidence since it is more stable and forgives many mistakes, but will slow down improvement. Things like Carving will probably never happen unless you get something in the mid-70's. Believe me, there is a big difference between thinking we are carving, and actually carving. And that's a great skill to develop at a local hill.

I really started getting a decent handle on skiing after moving from a wide mid 90's ski, into the Head Rallies at 75 mm wide or so ...

Anyways welcome again, and have fun in whatever you ski in. That's all that matters!

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, definitely get snug boots with a good bootfitter. She will help with the decision on Flex, not just size. It depends on many factors including your size.

A wider ski will give you a sense of confidence since it is more stable and forgives many mistakes, but will slow down improvement. Things like Carving will probably never happen unless you get something in the mid-70's. Believe me, there is a big difference between thinking we are carving, and actually carving. And that's a great skill to develop at a local hill.

I really started getting a decent handle on skiing after moving from a wide mid 90's ski, into the Head Rallies at 75 mm wide or so ...

Anyways welcome again, and have fun in whatever you ski in. That's all that matters!
I intend to visit a bootfitter during the next early season trip, and feel like maybe I should have just before the end of the previous season. Then you buy the previous season's gear at a discount right?

I think my plan so far is to get a better fitting 100 flex boot to pair with the m-free 99s since they're more playful, and a set of stiffer, thinner carving skis paired with a bit stiffer boot later in the season when I can visit a bootfitter.

Attachments

• IMG_4632_20230130_200310.jpg
    IMG_4632_20230130_200310.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 20230306_135053-01.jpeg
    20230306_135053-01.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 40
TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
I did tomahawk multiple times though so I'm not just taking it easy but I just wanted to survive the season without having an injury that taints the experience.
@MoSkyrPls Love your pictures Thanks, Have had many good times on speed bumps like that.
It is not so much the size of the hill as the size of the grin.
It's sorta fun in a way, everyone else around here is so oblivious to the skiing going on, and there's usually no snow on the ground when I go, so it's even more like being in this secret club/gym. I love it!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I started later in life as well. One thing I learned is to get boots dialed first and the skis matter a lot less. There's a lot to be learned by skiing with folks that are better than you also. I've been lucky enough in my skiing life to have mentors. I have a couple local mentors I ski with in southern Vermont and even though I've been skiing for 10 years now I never stop learning. I've also learned to not pay mind to what every single person thinks because sometimes everyone has an opinion and it can get overwhelming.

I'm a huge fan of taking clinics and one thing I've learned is everyone learns different and there's 1,000 different ways to explain something.

Demoing skis is best if it's an option but it isn't always. I no longer have the first couple pairs of skis I bought when I was first learning so don't worry about it being a right or wrong purchase. Buy them, ski them, take a lesson and the rest will work itself out.

The hardest lesson for me to learn was that it's not all about speed. I used to think faster is better and I felt very self conscious because I am always the slowest in the pack. While I know plenty of fast skiers that are exceptional I have finally learned that speed alone doesn't equal skill.

At the end of the day it's all about having fun. I love the whole culture of skiing. Skiing with friends, apre ski, finding something to do to enjoy the outdoors.

Welcome to Ski Talk and one of the best sports on earth.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I think my plan so far is to get a better fitting 100 flex boot to pair with the m-free 99s since they're more playful,

Frankly, downsizing on your own is not easy. There is a high chance that your new boots are too tight , uncomfortable in spots, etc. You might consider taking the first trip to a big mountain earlier in the season, and just wing it until then. More padded ski socks (assuming you are using thin ones) will help alleviate the issue a bit, meantime.

But I would not spend any more money on boots that are not properly fitted by an expert.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
I started later in life as well. One thing I learned is to gets boots dialed first and the skis matter a lot less. There's a lot to be learned by skiing with folks that are better than you also. I've been lucky enough in my skiing life to have mentors. I have a couple local mentors I ski with in southern Vermont and even though I've been skiing for 10 years now I never stop learning. I've also learned to not pay mind to what every single person thinks because while technique is important having fun is what it's all about.

I'm a huge fan of taking clinics and one thing I've learned is everyone learns different and there's 1,000 different ways to explain something.

Demoing skis is best if it's an option but it isn't always. I no longer have the first couple pairs of skis I bought when I was first learning so don't worry about it being a right or wrong purchase. Buy them, ski them, take a lesson and the rest will work itself out.

The hardest lesson for me to learn was that it's not all about speed. I used to think faster is better and I felt very self conscious because I am always the slowest in the pack. While I know plenty of fast skiers that are exceptional I have finally learned that speed alone doesn't equal skill.

At the end of the day it's all about having fun. I love the whole culture of skiing. Skiing with friends, apre ski, finding something to do to enjoy the outdoors.

Welcome to Ski Talk and one of the best sports on earth.
Sadly my current social group includes zero skiers, hence joining this forum haha my friend that got me into this only snowboards now. I've been doing my best to watch and follow/mimic anyone that has noticeably good technique, and learn as much as possible about technique wherever else I can.

Skiing really is just obscenely fun... I can't communicate it to anyone at work. It's such a violent, powerful experience at times, while still being so smooth and stylish... And at the same time it feels like you're dancing the whole way too. At 40mph. It's addictive on so many levels.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sadly my current social group includes zero skiers, hence joining this forum haha my friend that got me into this only snowboards now. I've been doing my best to watch and follow/mimic anyone that has noticeably good technique, and learn as much as possible about technique wherever else I can.

Skiing really is just obscenely fun... I can't communicate it to anyone at work. It's such a violent, powerful experience at times, while still being so smooth and stylish... And at the same time it feels like you're dancing the whole way too. At 40mph. It's addictive on so many levels.
Many of my friends and people I ski with are boarders. I met some of my ski/boarding friends by just being there every week. Some I work with at the mountain. One of my best ski friends I met from taking a clinic at my mountain.

Take a clinic, go have a drink at the bar, take a group lesson. The more you surround yourself in the culture, the higher your chances of making ski buddies.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Many of my friends and people I ski with are boarders. I met some of my ski/boarding friends by just being there every week. Some I work with at the mountain. One of my best ski friends I met from taking a clinic at my mountain.

Take a clinic, go have a drink at the bar, take a group lesson. The more you surround yourself in the culture, the higher your chances of making ski buddies.
That, or come to Tahoe :beercheer:

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Frankly, downsizing on your own is not easy. There is a high chance that your new boots are too tight , uncomfortable in spots, etc. You might consider taking the first trip to a big mountain earlier in the season, and just wing it until then. More padded ski socks (assuming you are using thin ones) will help alleviate the issue a bit, meantime.

But I would not spend any more money on boots that are not properly fitted by an expert.
I like the challenge sort of... My current boots feel great, just too loose

I'm likely going to Summit County at the beginning of December. Honestly the boots I have now feel fantastic as far as comfort, but moguls were where I started to realize how much better a size smaller would have been for me. For early season groomed blues they'll be just fine. Either way, I'm glad I got myself into this mess.

Sponsor

Staff online