• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First season, utterly hooked

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
He can't stand taking video on anything that's not trees or hike only terrain
Your ski video should show how your skis perform on the snow at turn initiation, the skis' performance through the fall line, and skis' performance as you finish your turns. Good video will show the skis and your entire body in every frame.

Such a video will reveal how you start your turns, how you manage your stance width, whether you initiate your turns simultaneously or sequentially, how you manage your fore-aft balance, your lateral RoM, your hand/arm management, how you manage your upper body as you finish your turns, your edge angles and whether they match, and whether or not your pelvis matches the rotation of your skis. The snow spray created by your skis will indicate your lateral weight distribution (left-right) through the turn.

When back home you can spend time looking intensely at your video to judge how you're doing with all these things. You will always have videos online of admired skiers that you can compare yourself with. Looking for such things is called MA - movement analysis. I suspect you'll enjoy doing this analysis. You can on your own figure out your strengths and what movements "need work." Many skiers can not tolerate such detailed analysis. I think, from your posts, that you will not only tolerate doing the analysis but you'll find it immeasurably helpful as well as fun in advancing your skiing.

For this kind of video, your friend will have to spend some time on easy groomed terrain, standing still at the side of the trail, pointing the camera at you as you ski towards him, past him, and down the hill below him. He will need to grab an image of your skis and your whole body as you start your run, continue to include skis and body in the frame as you ski past him (you will need to be far enough away from him for his camera to fit both your head and your two skis in the frame), and your skis and body as you ski down to the bottom below him. You will need to look at this video while out on snow to make sure the whole body and the skis are captured for the whole descent, especially as you ski past him. If he loses skis or head in the video, you'll need to do the video again.

If he refuses to do this for you, as a favor (can you bribe him?), that will be a shame. Do you ever ski with others who might do this for you?

Last edited:
TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
If he refuses to do this for you, as a favor (can you bribe him?), that will be a shame. Do you ever ski with others who might do this for you?
We'll make it happen, Hidden Valley might be perfect for this. I feel like I've been accepted into independent study skiing 101. It's nice having social commitments to drive our performance. I truly appreciate your time and consideration and I'll be sure to continue to pay it forward. I'll make sure to put some real effort into the video too. I'm excited to see how much upper body separation I have.

CaverDave

Booting up
Skier
Hey! I'm stuck in Missouri but at least within 30 mins of a ski hill. I got about 25 days in this year, about 10 of which were at Keystone and 1 at Breck, everything else was making the best of Hidden Valley here in Missouri. This first season has been such an amazing experience in so many ways. At 34 as of a few days ago, I started pretty late, but I've always loved the winter Olympics and skiing/snowboarding games. I feel like I'm trying to makeup for years of knowledge and experience I don't have in a short period of time, but so far it's been extremely rewarding and has gone pretty well with only minimal injuries.
Welcome! You didn't start late. I started at 56 and I'm now training for my sixth season.

Sponsor

Staff online