• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Features you didn't appreciate until you started using them

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
On another note, can anyone name a more stupid modern feature than the electric parking brakes? "Let's replace a simple lever actuated cable with a bunch of cables and electric motors", said no car owner ever.
They need a auto parking brake feature on air brakes. More drivers have been killed by their own trucks because they didn't set the parking brakes.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I seem to recall the rule being lights on when moving; lights off when stopped.

On another note, can anyone name a more stupid modern feature than the electric parking brakes? "Let's replace a simple lever actuated cable with a bunch of cables and electric motors", said no car owner ever.
Growing up they weren’t parking brakes. They were emergency brakes with a different operating method than the hydraulic brakes. I think the electric parking brakes are convenient, but not a replacement for the emer brake in my opinion.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I mentioned the electronic parking brake earlier in this thread but it didn't get much notice. Again: the thing I worry about with this feature is if I lose my electronics I lose my parking brake which might just be a big problem. I have two Subarus, the Outback has the electronic brake and the Imprezza has a mechanical hand brake. The hand brake is more convenient for me and if something happens to the electronics I can still use the hand brake. Also, the Outback with the electronic brake won't allow me to crimp my wheels into the curb on a hill which is required by law in WA. You have to keep the wheels pointed straight ahead to engage the brake. I see the electronic brake as a solution looking for a problem.

James

Out There
Instructor
Growing up they weren’t parking brakes. They were emergency brakes with a different operating method than the hydraulic brakes.
Somewhat semantic, but I agree the electronic parking brake is poor for any other use. The American ubiquitous left foot operated floor brake with ratcheting lock wan’t a particularly good emergency brake.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe it's a response to finding more interior space. The actual handbrake really is the best I think.
Yep, it's hard to drift with a button brake or a floor brake!

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Somewhat semantic, but I agree the electronic parking brake is poor for any other use. The American ubiquitous left foot operated floor brake with ratcheting lock wan’t a particularly good emergency brake.
Keep the handle pulled, the ratchet no longer worked. You could apply pressure, no different than a hand brake and depressing the button while pulling the handle.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Keep the handle pulled, the ratchet no longer worked. You could apply pressure, no different than a hand brake and depressing the button while pulling the handle.
Some of the older American cars wouldn't lock the footbrake if the car was in drive. I know the Lincoln Town Car was like that and thus it was a favorite rental car among Nascar drivers.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some of the older American cars wouldn't lock the footbrake if the car was in drive. I know the Lincoln Town Car was like that and thus it was a favorite rental car among Nascar drivers.
I wasn’t aware of that. All us kids had were old trucks.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
In car map. The Ford system is pretty good for a map. Main thing I’d change is it’s one finger touch puts it in cross hair place marking mode.
For directions I generally use the phone, but rely on the car map to see what’s around and street names. Night time seeing of street signs in rural areas no longer an issue.
Use it all the time. Have found roads nearby i never knew. You can get in trouble, like “Not passable, road closed to vehicles beyond this point” sign. But…it’s on the map!

It's the ones that don't have the sign that I worry about more. I learned while running a Garmin on my motorcycle in Vermont to keep a close eye out for "Turn left on road" or "Turn left on Town Highway 33" instructions (i.e. no road names)—those tended to be a pretty good hint that it wasn't a regularly traveled roadway. The maps are far better now than they were a few years ago, though rural areas are still pretty questionable on most. Blame the Census department.

My wife gets thoroughly annoyed that, barring a sign, gate, or vegetation that's clearly going to beat up on the paint, I usually want to try to find out.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's the ones that don't have the sign that I worry about more. I learned while running a Garmin on my motorcycle in Vermont to keep a close eye out for "Turn left on road" or "Turn left on Town Highway 33" instructions (i.e. no road names)—those tended to be a pretty good hint that it wasn't a regularly traveled roadway. The maps are far better now than they were a few years ago, though rural areas are still pretty questionable on most. Blame the Census department.

My wife gets thoroughly annoyed that, barring a sign, gate, or vegetation that's clearly going to beat up on the paint, I usually want to try to find out.
I haven't kept any maps in my car in a long time. I probably should. When we had a place in VT my father was always looking at the map and exploring alternate routes and "short cuts" to our destination. They were rarely short and usually unpaved but that was half the fun. He had a Range Rover at the time which was quite capable but abysmally unreliable and really a horrible winter vehicle. With an aluminum body, ineffective heating system and steel floor pans that turned into swiss cheese in a couple of years you froze your ass off and the side widows would ice up(we kept an ice scraper handy). The only reason the windshield didn't ice was because it was heated which brings me back to the OP. I definitely appreciated the heated windshield at the time but don't think I'd want it another vehicle.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I can now add ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, folding side mirrors, automatic rain sensing wipers, sensor opening hatch door, turbo, parking assist, customizable instrument panel, color changing interior lights, levers to fold down seats from back, trunk poppong lever, ski pass thru and panoramic moon roof.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The only reason the windshield didn't ice was because it was heated which brings me back to the OP. I definitely appreciated the heated windshield at the time but don't think I'd want it another vehicle.

Remember when that was a Ford feature? https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/heres-story-fords-unusual-heated-windshield-281474979834206

Not included in ^that story: everyone bitched because it made their radar detectors useless, and it required a separate high voltage AC generator. For about 15 years the easiest way to do a home wind turbine was to go to a junkyard and look for a Ford or Lincoln with a funny tint on the windshield.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah I'd like to find a redeeming quality for this but...can't really.

Automatic (wire-driven) hill hold for wet uphill starts is now available - and completely transparent - for the terminally uncoordinated. I.e. they no longer slide back into our bumpers.

#theyvecommittedtobrakebywire,shutupandbuytheupgrade

Sponsor

Staff online