• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Features you didn't appreciate until you started using them

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...and now miss them on other vehicles.

The new SS SkiTalk has ACC and push button start. I thought these were a couple of ostentatious features...until I got back into the Alltrak and poked the radio button (that is in a similar location as the Yukon's START button) and the VW didn't start. I am adjusting the ACC, even in traffic. The only issues I have found with it is going around a bend and there is a vehicle in the next lane and the ACC thinks it is front and will brake.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I thought the kick sensor to open the trunk was pretty silly, but I am using it all the time and miss it on other cars.

Push to start and sensors on the door handles to unlock I also thought were extravagant. That is until I got used to it driving my wife's car. It's nice to never take the keys out of your pocket. When I went back to driving a car without, it felt clumsy.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Heavily addicted to my crosstreks cockpit style of seating, auto unlock by just touching handle, adaptive cruise control, navigation, heated seats, automatic high beams, auto headlights, my large screen, crystal clear backup camera and my smaller sub screen which allows me to display one thing while my big screen displays another thing. I also love the push start and auto start. I'm sure there are more things but those are the highlights. The Subaru adaptive cruse control is outstanding.

Can't imagine having a car without these things.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
sensors on the door handles to unlock I also thought were extravagant.
Oh, this too for sure. With that and the push button start, the key/remote are unnecessary any more. I wish there was just a credit card version for the wallet.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Oh, this too for sure. With that and the push button start, the key/remote are unnecessary any more. I wish there was just a credit card version for the wallet.

Tesla has one of those but it doesn't actively transmit, so it doesn't have the range of a proper key fob.

One thing I miss on the new car vs. the old car is the odometer and trip mileage are not always displayed. You have to press a button to display those numbers. I used the trip mileage to determine when to get gas. I find that to be more accurate than the gas gauge or the miles remaining until empty. The miles until empty works OK on the highway but is very inaccurate for mostly city driving.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought the kick sensor to open the trunk was pretty silly, but I am using it all the time and miss it on other cars.

Push to start and sensors on the door handles to unlock I also thought were extravagant. That is until I got used to it driving my wife's car. It's nice to never take the keys out of your pocket. When I went back to driving a car without, it felt clumsy.

my truck has the sensors on the door handles but, while I like them, I actually use the keypad on the door instead as that way i dont need to carry a key at all. With push button start as well the key just lives somewhere at the bottom of the glove box. Last time I took it in for service the advisor asked me for the key and I sort of looked blankly at him till i remembered where it was.

Other awesome feature is the automatic running boards that come down/go up as you open/close the door. They come down to approx half way between the ground and the door opening whereas I found with the fixed running boards they were about 3/4 of the way up so less useful. I would never have thought of adding them but when i was looking for my last truck, the salesman opened the door with them and my dog went straight up into the back with them so that was that feature added (My dog always comes along on test drives with me - he absolutely hated the Raptor I had set up a deal for when I test drove it so that was it crossed off!!!)

Oh, and the auto high beams - wonderful!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agreed, and key word is good. I have driven some where it was not done well and it can be a downgrade vs. 'dumb' cruise control.

my porsche is <3

both my teslas has been horrible full self driving not quite. both S and 3

bmw i3 .. meeh doesn thandle sun

VW/audi decen't ish

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Besides those mentioned, CarTalk, folding & heated mirrors, lighted door handles, ride/driving modes, USB plugs, vehicle info readouts, proximity alerts…. Actually, there are a lot of things I didn’t think I’d appreciate.

The Qi recharger and head up display aren’t particularly doing it for me.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
A customer's Maserati SUV had one. He liked it too until the dealer told him it would cost $4k to add a receiver hitch to his car for the bike rack.

Yeah definitely a downside to all the sensors and tech if you want to modify the car. It gets expensive quickly. This includes accidental modifications... windshields get expensive to replace if you have ACC and automatic wipers for certain vehicles. Those steering light bulbs ain't cheap either.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I wish there was just a credit card version for the wallet.
That would be nice .

I really like & use many of the modern features on my Golf-R. ACC, Lane assist, back-up camera, heated seats, keyless entry, push button start etc. l do keep my thumb near the “cancel” button.
Since I only own one vehicle there is rarely a need to adapt to anything different. I used the Apple Play for awhile when the car (2018) was new but found that Bluetooth works fine for my needs. If I found the need to do a lot of texting in the car I may revisit the Apple play feature.
Maybe someday I will break down & get an automatic transmission ogwink.
F3C1E4BD-115F-4F84-AD11-C32F6C97C25D.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsor