• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Features you didn't appreciate until you started using them

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
my new Explorer
Ah... I've had some rental Fords with the touch screen where you have to use the screen, and it takes a few touches of the screen to move the temp. Not sure if that's what you have... but if so, that, I agree, is annoying. This is a case where, with my own car and most other rentals, some kind of knob or button wins.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ah... I've had some rental Fords with the touch screen where you have to use the screen, and it takes a few touches of the screen to move the temp. Not sure if that's what you have... but if so, that, I agree, is annoying. This is a case where, with my own car and most other rentals, some kind of knob or button wins.
If they are going to put touchscreens in cars they should be Fisher Price simple for all the normal functions. If it's not a physical knob I want a big bright button on the screen that responds how I expect when I clumsily mash at it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If they are going to put touchscreens in cars they should be Fisher Price simple for all the normal functions. If it's not a physical knob I want a big bright button on the screen that responds how I expect when I clumsily mash at it.
Here's what I've had... I don't like that the touchscreen feature here requires a touch to bring up the temp selection, then a slide - tough to do while driving, and hard to hit the temp you want.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It got mentioned on the first page.. heated side mirrors. So much so that I figured out how to add them to my Baja since it was not a factory option. 04 outback mirrors and the door switch panel. Car was wired for it but it was never an option.

I got an aftermarket autostart for our Impreza that has a proximity lock and unlock feature. Its freaking great to just get within about 15' of the sensor and everything just unlocks. Or walk away and about 30s later the car locks. I get mad at my Baja now because it doesn't do that. The new Forester has the sensors on the door handles that unlock the car, that one is fine.

Auto dimming side mirrors. New Forester has them and they are wonderful for night driving. Neither the baja or the impreza do and I miss them.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Apparently thieves use those as a possible quick tell if the car is locked. They’re looking for unlocked cars where the key fob was left in. Which is surprisingly common.

Wow. It always amazes me what people keep inside of their cars. I used to have a convertible and have long since gotten used to keeping nothing in my car that I couldn't live without. I always lock my car, even in VT. I get teased as many don't lock their cars here but it's a habit.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@dbostedo, at least the Explorer uses toggle switches for the temp. No need to delve into the touchscreen stuff.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
It might vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but when I was an insurance claim adjuster, if your car was stolen or broken into, upon recovery there had to be physical signs of forced entry or your claim would be denied. ALWAYS lock your car.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It might vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but when I was an insurance claim adjuster, if your car was stolen or broken into, upon recovery there had to be physical signs of forced entry or your claim would be denied. ALWAYS lock your car.
Was talking to a guy whose Lexus was stolen. Apparently they just unplug something under the car, plug in the laptop and off they go. They steal them on demand here. Hey need a Lexus 350, done

James

Out There
Instructor
What I’m hearing is it’s best not recovered?
Better burned, or in the river.
Like the Bugatti?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought the kick sensor to open the trunk was pretty silly, but I am using it all the time and miss it on other cars.

Push to start and sensors on the door handles to unlock I also thought were extravagant. That is until I got used to it driving my wife's car. It's nice to never take the keys out of your pocket. When I went back to driving a car without, it felt clumsy.
When I bought my 2008 Yukon I thought the remote tailgate was silly until I drove to the ski hill in slop and grime and was elated I didn't have to touch the real handle to access my skis.
I don't want to live without that.
As for kick sensor...I use it all the time when I'm coming back to the car at the end of a ski day to open the tailgate while skis are on my shoulder and poles in the other hand and ... and ...

Phil has talked about the heated stearing wheel but I never remember it so it is not something I (evidently) miss.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Number pad entry. I guess only Ford does it.

It’s very handy. Like you want to get something out of the locked car, don’t have the keys. No need to go get them. Or you drop a car off for someone to pick up later, keys inside car and locked.

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Given that some of the more modern ways to steal cars involve electronic tricks, I'm guessing this is no longer the case.

Then again, I drive an F-150, which is apparently pretty easy to open with basic hand tools, assuming you don't mind possibly damaging the door. I lock it anyhow, largely because I've seen too many videos of bears opening car doors and being very unhappy when the doors closed behind them and they couldn't figure out the inside handle.

Sponsor