• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Edge angles:2 degrees versus 3 degrees?

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Yeah, I'm not really buying that. Perhaps the answer is a 3 dulls and you end up more like a 2 .

I agree it's not for racers only.

In other news, skis are now so sharp in racing that it is becoming a real hazard. I saw photos of a college racer who got cut to the bone in the thigh. Huge cut. Torniquet had to be applied on the hill. He didn't lose the leg, but likely will never ski at that level again. That's extreme, but serious cuts are getting much more common. Expect to see mandated anticut protection when it becomes available. People would use it now if it existed.
The problem is, it doesn't really exist right now in stretch fabric afaik.
it does.
Bottom

Not widely used yet, but I'm sure that will change (especially when other brands start selling similar products)

James

Out There
Instructor
it does.
Bottom

Not widely used yet, but I'm sure that will change (especially when other brands start selling similar products)
Yeah I've seen the top. It's questionable. Let's just say people are looking into something that really works.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is it advisable to use a universal or fine deburring/polishing diamond stone(s) in an edge angle jig or would doing it freehand work just as well?

Also is it recommended to use the diamond stone(s) on just the side edge? Or is it necessary and or better to do the base edges followed by the side edges in that order?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
A sharp 1 base 2 side holds better than a dull 0.5 base 3 side.

I prefer a 0.5,3 for carving skis.
I left my volkls at 1:2 because I liked the way it was easier to feather in moguls.
My old speed skis worked great at 0.5,2 and going by if it ain't broke don't fix it, I left them that way; I'm not carving 6 m radius turns with them (more like 35 m when tipped at 60 degrees).

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My tile saw edge tuner leaves a surface that is a long way from smooth. Yet my skis are gripper than they ever have been. Perhaps the way a cheap serrated steak knife lets me enjoy my steak as much as a fancy razor polished knife. And the serrated knife cuts better than a dull polished knife.

I'm sure the rough edges add some drag. A top racer would be slower. But the unpolished edges last well (better than MY diamond tune).

Plus, it takes just a minute to run the skis across the grinder and enjoy super sharp edges.

So I don't recommend diamond polishing any edges.

Eric

James

Out There
Instructor
Is it advisable to use a universal or fine deburring/polishing diamond stone(s) in an edge angle jig or would doing it freehand work just as well?

Also is it recommended to use the diamond stone(s) on just the side edge? Or is it necessary and or better to do the base edges followed by the side edges in that order?
Yes, use the same jig as for filing the side edge. You can use a very fine one frrehand on the base edge to take off any hanging burr.
In general, you don't touch the base edge unless damaged. Then you can only take off the protruding peaks of the gash and the valleys remain.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Yeah I've seen the top. It's questionable. Let's just say people are looking into something that really works.
It's better than anything else out there, by a lot.

People are looking into something that really works for almost everything in the world, doesn't mean we should dismiss everything that currently exists

TS
F

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
Thank you to all that responded to the questions.
After considering all opinions and answers, I will learn to sharpen and polish edges, and probably do 1 degree base and 3 degree sides since i mostly ski on ice and hard pack.

Tom351

Putting on skis
Skier
.I have skied both........and no practical difference in how long the skis worked well...except that the 3 always performed better than the 2.

^this - a 1:3 with "x" hours should always hold a stronger edge than a 1:2 with the same "x" hours.

Sponsor

Staff online