• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EBikes Take Over Northern Vermont

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you or your family own ebikes please read that article I linked above. Here at the office we're planning on doing a in house safety class, based on what she told me this morning. She says the most surprisings things to her were; re-ignition potential and the absolutely massive amounts of water she has had to use to put out Li-Ion fires. She literally said, "...insane amounts of water...." She's horrified by the fact that one of the docs here uses some kind of non approved extension cord for her e-car.

Here is the title of the article:
  1. OPERATIONS & TRAINING

First Due: Operational Considerations for Fires that Involve Lithium-ion Batteries​

Most of the fires, outside of vandalism, seem to occur with "home brew" bikes. It would be interesting to know if any big name (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc.) have any reports of fire using factory batteries and chargers.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Alright stop, collaborate and listen....:bikewheelie:bikecrash
Shimano XT ICE Tech Rotor installed (180mm for now -203 & adapter on the way)
20230726_194051.jpg
20230726_194133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kinda surprised that you went resin to resin pads instead of going straight to a metalic compound pad.
Yup agreed. :beercheer: The resins are temporary until the metallic/ceramics arrive. The resin pads glaze after every single ride. That's never happened on my Acoustic bikes and those are all resins on XT, LX and Avid Elixir CR's on big downhills. Then again on the ebike w/ gear we're at 30 mph w/ 80 lbs bikes. Resin just can't handle the steepness of these hills w/ those speeds and wgts.

At the small LBS today I checked and he had run out of the higher end pads. He did have the 203mm adapter for my bike so both fronts are set up. Mine @ 203mm and the WIfeymobile's @180mm both w/ front Ice tech rotors and metallic/ceramic pads. Just waiting for the rear 180's Ice/Metal/Ceramic setups. Should be next week!

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ahhh that makes more sense. Come to think of it, my LBS is also out of metallic pads too.. Was looking for another set for my Codes and all they had was resin pads.

I haven't played around with too many pad types in the same set of brakes but I have gone from the Shimano Resins to MTX Red ceramics in the 4pot XT I had. In my opinion they increased power and were much more resistant to fade, I actually never did get them to fade. I've got Codes with metallic pads and the MTX Reds in the XT's are close but slightly lower. I suspect that you would prolly get some good use out of the MTX Golds, as those are the ebike specific ones they make.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ahhh that makes more sense. Come to think of it, my LBS is also out of metallic pads too.. Was looking for another set for my Codes and all they had was resin pads.

I haven't played around with too many pad types in the same set of brakes but I have gone from the Shimano Resins to MTX Red ceramics in the 4pot XT I had. In my opinion they increased power and were much more resistant to fade, I actually never did get them to fade. I've got Codes with metallic pads and the MTX Reds in the XT's are close but slightly lower. I suspect that you would prolly get some good use out of the MTX Golds, as those are the ebike specific ones they make.
Just ordered a set of golds to check them out! Thx for the tip!

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
After 700 hundred miles here's my summary. These Aventon Aventure's are reliable as long as you upgrade mostly your brake pads but secondarily, rotors.

Shimano IceTechs (rotors) on the front of both bikes; mine 203 mm upgrade and Wifey's stock size 180mm. Ice Ice Baby!

On the rear; stock size 180mm Tektro rotors on both bikes.

Pads I have Top Brake Premium E+ on front and all others on mine and Wifeys are the Tektro Metal/Ceramic pads ( Red P20.11 )

Not squeaking or wearing prematurely any more and can stop on a dime at full wgt. The primary ebike issue online seems to be brake quality. Learn to upgrade those components yourself via YouTube and you'll increase your margins of safety and save a ton of cash.

To economize, try changing out just the pads first. Then center the pads on the rotor. W/ our ebikes, I do it upside down w/o pressure on the wheel. That seems to work better for some reason (imprecise manufacturing possible given the low price point on these things). One strong recommendation is while upside down, loosen both your WHEEL & CALIPER.... center pads.... tighten wheel first.... re-center pads.... then tighten down your caliper.... That sequence gave the best consistent results. Mix that sequence into your YouTube instructions for more consistent results.

Other than that, change out your pedals. My favs are the half toe clip (no strap) compatible Wellgo M111 9/16" Platform. We returned from a 50 miler when we first got these and Wifey was saying how she was surprised she had no pedal issues. I went to bring her bike in the house and her rt stock pedal fell completely off only leaving the exposed spindle! Yup Upgrade! I had the new M111 pedals already in the house....... I was DogHouse PROOF!!!!!.... okay that lasted ONE day!! :beercheer:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online