• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

EBikes Take Over Northern Vermont

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
With the opening of the LVRT (Lamoille Valley Rail Trail), it's been ebike madness up here! OMG they are multiplying like rabbits! Wifey and I joined in w/ our Aventon Aventure bike purchases. After putting on 100 miles during the past week..... mostly borrowing hers before she ordered me to purchase my own, I now understand the revolution. Unlocked @ 28 mph...OMG can you say FUN!!!!!!.... LOVE IT! I use it on the LVRT to commute to work.

Wifey and I poached a closed trail section of the trail to one of the covered bridges... then we saw the Game Warden.....Speed Racer Outta there! 28mph.... No ticket or fines if you can navigate those back roads and they can't catch you!!! LMAO.

Main difference from my other 3 non ebikes is that w/ so many steep hills around here, every ride before my ebike was a "Climbing/Strength" training ride ending w/ a torturous climb back up to the house. On my Aventure I can change it up and do much more work on endurance and cadence w/o saving reserves to make it back. A VERY different experience.

LVRT: https://railtrails.vermont.gov/trails/lamoille-valley-rail-trail/

The trail has changed life as we know it up here. We can ride to our local breweries now on the trail w/o cars......... BWI anyone???? Do you need a lawyer for that? Hands up, don't shoot.......... wait Hands up???? I've got on spandex!!!! .... and "... no that's NOT a gun!!!" ha ha ha

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Traitor... :ogbiggrin:

NKVD will have questions

BWI anyone???? Do you need a lawyer for that? Hands up, don't shoot.......... wait Hands up???? I've got on spandex!!!! .... and "... no that's NOT a gun!!!" ha ha ha

:nono:

I'll just remind you that you can't blame downtube folds and creases on the roof rack/garage door combo anymore.

#progress

Last edited:

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting to see that trail intersects with the Missisquoi Trail. We did that one about 12 years ago. Half the trail at a time. Out and back from Richford where we stayed in a B&B, and then we did the other half from Sheldon Jct to St. Albans....in the rain. It was a warm summer day so once we were wet, it didn't matter if we got wetter! LOL
I remember passing one backyard that had a Porsche 911 sitting mostly covered with weeds and vines.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting to see that trail intersects with the Missisquoi Trail. We did that one about 12 years ago. Half the trail at a time. Out and back from Richford where we stayed in a B&B, and then we did the other half from Sheldon Jct to St. Albans....in the rain. It was a warm summer day so once we were wet, it didn't matter if we got wetter! LOL
I remember passing one backyard that had a Porsche 911 sitting mostly covered with weeds and vines.
I haven't done the entire trail and you'll definitely see some noteworthy visuals off the trail. I've done from St. Johnsbury to Jeffersonville, different sections at different times. The most visually interesting parts I've seen are from St. J to Morrisville. From Mo'ville to Cambridge was mostly cornfields. The area around Joe's Pond, West Danville is gorgeous.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Main difference from my other 3 non ebikes is that w/ so many steep hills around here, every ride before my ebike was a "Climbing/Strength" training ride ending w/ a torturous climb back up to the house. On my Aventure I can change it up and do much more work on endurance and cadence w/o saving reserves to make it back. A VERY different experience.
I feel this…literally have to push my bike uphill at the end of the ride to get home. But I like the climbing until I hit the 17% grade part way up my hill.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I feel this…literally have to push my bike uphill at the end of the ride to get home. But I like the climbing until I hit the 17% grade part way up my hill.

On the upside, you can get 1000 feet vertical just staying inside your Strava privacy zone. (I can do it too but I have to do 14 laps)

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An ebike will greatly increase your range and change the "Hill Pain" from the extreme to a "Good Soreness". At least that's what is does for me. I ended up 15 miles from the house at Joe's Pond in West Danville without even realizing it. I did cadence drills on the way home and felt that really good soreness!

For anyone taking the plunge ....Please remember to monitor battery charging. Li-Ion fires are NO JOKE! It has become a major issue in NYC, just look up the articles on ebike fires.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I did cadence drills on the way home and felt that really good soreness!

You mean like the old (four decades at least now) run-the-bike-for-an-hour-to-find-your-ride-average-speed then shift to your shortest gear and sustain that average drill?

Guessing you could do left leg only and right leg only (spin smoothing) for far more than around a mile.

@Tony Storaro and I and @Noodler ? had a thread somewhere on using the ebike to stay in Zone 2 for 90 minutes *then* dropping the assist to minimal for hill work. Of course, it needs an HRM.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You mean like the old (four decades at least now) run-the-bike-for-an-hour-to-find-your-ride-average-speed then shift to your shortest gear and sustain that average drill?

Guessing you could do left leg only and right leg only (spin smoothing) for far more than around a mile.

@Tony Storaro and I and @Noodler ? had a thread somewhere on using the ebike to stay in Zone 2 for 90 minutes *then* dropping the assist to minimal for hill work. Of course, it needs an HRM.
Similar. Essentially maintaining high speed cadence during set distance.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Yo Momma,

I have only been mtb'ing in the NEK once, in Burke, for a weekend. So I don't know the area well. Does this new ruling mean the trails around Burke, which I think of as the NEK mtb mecca, allow Ebikes now? I looked on the map and it seems to me the LVRT is further south and doesn't really connect with anything in the Burke area.

Not to start controversy, but does this mean Ebikes are allowed on all VT trails that allow mtb's or is this just a single (long) rail trail that has opened up to Ebikes now. I am just interested to keep up with the current status of Ebike rulings. Is there a speed limit on this trail?

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Yo Momma,

I have only been mtb'ing in the NEK once, in Burke, for a weekend. So I don't know the area well. Does this new ruling mean the trails around Burke, which I think of as the NEK mtb mecca, allow Ebikes now? I looked on the map and it seems to me the LVRT is further south and doesn't really connect with anything in the Burke area.

Not to start controversy, but does this mean Ebikes are allowed on all VT trails that allow mtb's or is this just a single (long) rail trail that has opened up to Ebikes now. I am just interested to keep up with the current status of Ebike rulings. Is there a speed limit on this trail?
Yes the LVRT starts south of Burke and is not connected to the Kingdom Mtb trail system. I don't know if Kingdom Trails allows ebikes. I haven't been over there in years as I traded in my mtn tires for gravel. Check in w/ them on that. :huh:

As far as the LVRT, I believe they limit ebikes to Class II (approx 20 mph). I have seen police and game wardens on, near and around the trails. So yes, the trails are monitored by law enforcement and car break-ins, and unruly characters have been dealt w/ swiftly up to now. I think VT wants to keep the trail as safe as possible. Wifey feels safe and rides it solo, even in our isolated back woods area.

I'm really looking fwd to having a safe place for night riding. Sure, I'll carry bear spray for just in case. Other than bear (with cubs) and moose, not much else out there that might test your outdoor limits at night...Bigfoot maybe???

Last edited:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Some pics from the trail:

Attachments

• image (5).png
    image (5).png
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • image (4).png
    image (4).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 53
  • image (6).png
    image (6).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 53

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am confused about something. Where I live in NY, the signs on the rail trail states no motorized vehicles. How are electric bikes allowed on them? My wife and I nordic walk each day and the electric bikes can be very scary when they pass you with very little sound and no warning.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I am confused about something. Where I live in NY, the signs on the rail trail states no motorized vehicles. How are electric bikes allowed on them? My wife and I nordic walk each day and the electric bikes can be very scary when they pass you with very little sound and no warning.
Check your traffic laws. In Ontario somehow they're deemed to not be motorized because electric motors aren't motors.

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
"Unlocked @ 28 mph..."

"Wifey and I poached a closed trail section of the trail to one of the covered bridges..."

"then we saw the Game Warden.....Speed Racer Outta there! 28mph.... "

"We can ride to our local breweries now on the trail w/o cars......... BWI anyone????"

Last edited:
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Unlocked @ 28 mph..."

"Wifey and I poached a closed trail section of the trail to one of the covered bridges..."

"then we saw the Game Warden.....Speed Racer Outta there! 28mph.... "

"We can ride to our local breweries now on the trail w/o cars......... BWI anyone????"

It's an NEK back water Vermont thing!!!! :huh:

(Okay on a more serious note, we do slow to 8 - 10 mph whenever we come up on anyone at all and have Pro-bells as alerts. You HAVE TO go slow around horses as the last thing you want is a spooked horse.... same and even more so w/ people walking ....so we're all truly "Trail Friendly".)

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With the opening of the LVRT (Lamoille Valley Rail Trail), it's been ebike madness up here! OMG they are multiplying like rabbits! Wifey and I joined in w/ our Aventon Aventure bike purchases. After putting on 100 miles during the past week..... mostly borrowing hers before she ordered me to purchase my own, I now understand the revolution. Unlocked @ 28 mph...OMG can you say FUN!!!!!!.... LOVE IT! I use it on the LVRT to commute to work.

Wifey and I poached a closed trail section of the trail to one of the covered bridges... then we saw the Game Warden.....Speed Racer Outta there! 28mph.... No ticket or fines if you can navigate those back roads and they can't catch you!!! LMAO.

The trail has changed life as we know it up here. We can ride to our local breweries now on the trail w/o cars......... BWI anyone???? Do you need a lawyer for that? Hands up, don't shoot.......... wait Hands up???? I've got on spandex!!!! .... and "... no that's NOT a gun!!!" ha ha ha
Welcome to the world of E!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I still don't get it. You are a perfectly healthy, active person in good physical shape. You ski both cross-country and alpine. Why on Earth would you need an e-bike? If there is too much climbing, just buy a bigger cassette. Or smaller chainrings. Or even (Merckx forgive me) build a mullet? With a mullet you can go up walls...

Don't get me wrong I am all for e-bikes, but you are just not in that demographics yet.

But yeah..these are everywhere...if even Battaglin started offering steel e-bikes...a greater sin is hard to imagine and yet here we are...

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online