• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drying boots: liners out or in?

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
Instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll just bump this one.

After checking out just about every thread I can find on this topic, asking bootfitters, and emailing boot/liner manufacturers, it seems like:

Since removing liners can be a pain and could possibly do a little damage to them, leave liners in if you have a forced air, low/no heat boot drying system
Remove liners if you don't have a boot dryer

I don't have a boot dryer. Plus, it's so ridiculously easy to pull the Intuition liners on my Full Tilts, I'd be surprised if I was inflicting any damage in doing so.

My question is, should I also pull my custom insoles (Foot Dynamics Alpine Ski orthotics, Kydex shell, cork fill, velour laminated top) every night after skiing? They are a stiff footbed. I've seen some with a floppy forefoot, these are not those, these are rigid from heel to toe.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Instead of starting a new thread, I guess I'll just bump this one.

After checking out just about every thread I can find on this topic, asking bootfitters, and emailing boot/liner manufacturers, it seems like:

Since removing liners can be a pain and could possibly do a little damage to them, leave liners in if you have a forced air, low/no heat boot drying system
Remove liners if you don't have a boot dryer

I don't have a boot dryer. Plus, it's so ridiculously easy to pull the Intuition liners on my Full Tilts, I'd be surprised if I was inflicting any damage in doing so.

My question is, should I also pull my custom insoles (Foot Dynamics Alpine Ski orthotics, Kydex shell, cork fill, velour laminated top) every night after skiing? They are a stiff footbed. I've seen some with a floppy forefoot, these are not those, these are rigid from heel to toe.
Unless my liners were really wet I don't mess with the footbeds. I have Thermic heaters with wires and I do use a Peet drier. For $50 (wow, they've gone up!) they're worth the price of admission.

James

Out There
Instructor
Generally only if they’re soaked from say wet spring skiing. Otherwise it’s just another thing to have to do and/or forget.

But since it’s impossible to know your level of liner moisture, you could do an experiment and take one out and leave one in. See if it’s not dry enough underneath the one you left in.
Also, taking liners out, you still want them in a warm spot. If say baseboard heating, you can prop them so the open part gets the heat. Assuming hot water heat and not some roasting electric baseboard that can melt plastic.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always out, but I use Lace up liners and they come out on my foot. Although, I put them back in and buckle my boots up for the ride home. Then remove them again to dry when home.

Spray some food grade silicone spray on the inside of the rear shaft and they slide right in & out!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have boots from a brand that doesn't leak. Plus they are see-through, so I can tell if there's moisture of any significance. If my socks are dry, then the liner's not too bad. This time of year when it's in the fifties, then I could have issues, but generally 18 hours with the dryers in them is just fine. If I skip a day, then it's 42 hours. They're dry. After 400 days I'd be seeing mildew otherwise.
Salomon?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
All my boots have lace-up liners. The liners come out on my feet and go into the boots on my feet, already laced up. I air dry the inside by placing them on my forced hot air vents. I never have moisture in the boots to get the liners wet from the outside so can't speak to that aspect of drying. I haven't experienced any degradation from constant removal and insertion. My boots are Atomic Hawx XTD and Fischer RC4 Pros with original liners.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is there a FAQ for the boot forum? Sounds like this would be one of those questions.

Do I take the liners out to dry or not? Getting liners out is easy, getting in not so much (I end up forcing a fold in the heel area, probably not healthy). Plus, liners have some bootfitters foam on them and keeping it glued while inserting is a challenge.

So, do I dry the boots with liners in or out?
At least every other day you should pull the liners out half way, enough so the exterior of that liner dries out. Every day, put a fan inside the liners to dry them.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve been told here from someone from hot tronic that they’ll be coming out with the replacement snap-dry boot dryer “soon”. That thing was great and worked on dual voltage. You really need to run it like 10 hours if you’re leaving liners in.

The old DryGuy heated fan puck dyers also worked really well and could do gloves at the same time. The high setting was too high though if you forgot. Also, no dual voltage.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Leave STOCK liners in unless they are really sopping wet. They aren't designed to be removed regularly.. Now Intuition and other premium lace up liners?? Pull them out as often as you like. They're built for that :)

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Leave STOCK liners in unless they are really sopping wet. They aren't designed to be removed regularly..
As a manufacturer of stock liners, I can safely say that you can pull them out as often as you want. There's no issue there and I've never experienced it being an issue, ever, with any brand's stock liners.

If you want your liners to dry out and not get funky/stinky/weird, remove them from the shell to dry. Every time. If there is enough moisture in the liner and under the footbed, remove the footbed too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As a manufacturer of stock liners, I can safely say that you can pull them out as often as you want. There's no issue there and I've never experienced it being an issue, ever, with any brand's stock liners.

If you want your liners to dry out and not get funky/stinky/weird, remove them from the shell to dry. Every time. If there is enough moisture in the liner and under the footbed, remove the footbed too.
@Philpug may want to edit a comment he and others made in a different thread that suggested stock liners are not designed for the wear and tear of removing them after every ski day.

I've definitely seen issues where the tongue pulls loose, but that's also user error not removing them properly.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’d say that’s the last word. However, you know how that goes here.

It’s just a flesh wound. -
IMG_0876.jpeg

Now looking to dispose of these and the (horrible) shells. Dobermann tongues still good and available.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
@Philpug may want to edit a comment he and others made in a different thread that suggested stock liners are not designed for the wear and tear of removing them after every ski day.

I've definitely seen issues where the tongue pulls loose, but that's also user error not removing them properly.
I've noticed issues on a seam in my boy's boots catching when inserting, and slowly getting worn. Again, user error, but I haven't been able to completely avoid since noticing it. Just reduced the incidence.

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've noticed issues on a seem in my boy's boots catching when inserting, and slowly getting worn. Again, user error, but I haven't been able to completely avoid since noticing it. Just reduced the incidence.

And there is exactly the issue with most stock liners in consumer boots. They just aren't designed for easy out/easy in. There's too many places where they will catch on the shell and wear or tear. I wish manufacturers would put more thought into their designs when it comes to day-to-day operation.

vtmecheng

Putting on skis
Skier
Put all the family’s boots in front of a box fan with the cuffs pointing to the fan. They always seem dry by next morning.

Sponsor

Staff online