• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does this device exist?

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I don't often go to the slopes with someone, and I find it awkward to repeatedly ask strangers to take a video of my skiing. But self video analysis is the thing that has helped me the most in becoming a better skier.

Is there a device that I could wear that would actually take a video of me skiing, either from the front or from the back? Like a camera attached to a rounded pole or something.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
You can buy a camera drone that will follow you around like a dog...

No!

Drones in hot pursuit of a skier who goes under a lift would be a potential menace to anyone riding the chair.

And imagine the potential for drones to crash and hit skiers.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I don't often go to the slopes with someone, and I find it awkward to repeatedly ask strangers to take a video of my skiing. But self video analysis is the thing that has helped me the most in becoming a better skier.

Is there a device that I could wear that would actually take a video of me skiing, either from the front or from the back? Like a camera attached to a rounded pole or something.
There's people with GoPros and selfie sticks all over. But if you want video analysis, you're going to need a friend. The altered geometry of those selfie GoPros is horrendous.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
You could use a tripod. Set it up toward the bottom of a run, out of the way of other skiers, put the camera on Record and ride the lift up to ski down.
Of course you risk theft, to say nothing of the potential liability if someone crashed into your setup.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

GCRUMP

Putting on skis
Skier
My neighbor has a solo shot he uses for his soccer playing son. Pretty cool how the camera tracks him up and down the field . His son just wears a little tracker on his thigh. Not sure how it would work for skiing, interesting application if it’s sufficiently zoomed.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Pixem & Pixio

Soloshot3

I just haven't figured out how to keep them from growing legs and walking away (or maybe skiing away). What they need is some way to mount and lock them to a tree. Also, the remote control and tracking ability range probably needs to be higher/increased for use with skiing.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I expect that videography from micro sized tracking drones will become standard fare at ski resorts in the next few years.
Lots of folks would pay to have a run videographed and video is one of the best teaching tools.
I imagine a video "lane" on a designated green or blue where you check in then get video of your run delivered to your phone by the time you are on the next chair.
This service would work well for NASTAR and beer league courses.
We all love our selfies and where there is money to be made someone will be doing it.
While I hate to imagine a future where nearly every skier has a drone companion, that isn't beyond possibility.

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Did some more research and I've learned that for the purposes of getting skiing video, the Soloshot3 looks to be far superior. It can be mounted to a tree (there are tripods that can do this) and it can be locked to the tree. It also has two different cameras available with more than suitable optical zoom and tracking range.

I really think the Soloshot3 can get the job done. Who is going to give it a shot first? :)

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
Did some more research and I've learned that for the purposes of getting skiing video, the Soloshot3 looks to be far superior. It can be mounted to a tree (there are tripods that can do this) and it can be locked to the tree. It also has two different cameras available with more than suitable optical zoom and tracking range.

I really think the Soloshot3 can get the job done. Who is going to give it a shot first? :)

It can be locked to a tree so no one without the key can steal it?

Can you lock it to a lift tower?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It can be locked to a tree so no one without the key can steal it?

Can you lock it to a lift tower?

The tripod mounts I've found probably cannot handle the diameter of a lift tower pole (although it might connect to a ladder rung on the tower). Also, I have the feeling the ski area may frown on mounting a camera to their equipment. If I decide to go this route, I think I will ask ahead of time for permission to mount the camera at the side of a run on a tree. I want to be sure they're cool with it.

The Soloshot3 has a channel/hole where a cable lock can pass. So any standard cable lock can be used with it. They actually sell their own in the store accessories section. The lock cable just needs enough length to wrap around whatever you're attaching it to.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The tripod mounts I've found probably cannot handle the diameter of a lift tower pole (although it might connect to a ladder rung on the tower). Also, I have the feeling the ski area may frown on mounting a camera to their equipment. If I decide to go this route, I think I will ask ahead of time for permission to mount the camera at the side of a run on a tree. I want to be sure they're cool with it.

The Soloshot3 has a channel/hole where a cable lock can pass. So any standard cable lock can be used with it. They actually sell their own in the store accessories section. The lock cable just needs enough length to wrap around whatever you're attaching it to.
I have a wildlife surveillance camera that came with a cable for wrapping around trees and it would easily wrap around a lift tower. So you might check Reconyx for any cables they might sell if you're having problems with that.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January