• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Does 3 cm make a difference in performance?

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Hi all! looking at Liberty Genesis 106 and Liberty Envy 105, former in 164 length, latter in 167 length. Any benefit to either? Such good prices, I couldn't pass up. Also wasn't sure if there was benefit to 2017 or 2018 (19?) model. I'm 5'4", 117, love to rip and don't think I can ski longer than 167....Thanks for advice!!

p.s. I like the 2018 graphics much better...;)

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At first glance, I think the differences in construction of both skis will make more of a difference than a 3 cm length difference. Which ski has the characteristics that you desire more?

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Hi! I don't really know. I think they're pretty similar...But I'll try to find out more! Good point.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi! I don't really know. I think they're pretty similar...But I'll try to find out more! Good point.

It appears that the Genesis has some carbon in it, and some tail rocker, while the Envy doesn’t have carbon, and has a flat tail. I’d imagine the Genesis might be a little more playful in powder due to the difference in tip and tail rocker.

Powder7 carries both of these skis; you could give them a call and chat with them about the differences vs your needs.

The “ability ratings” I see show the Genesis has an “intermediate to expert skier” rating, while the Envy is placed entirely in the blue square category. However, those ratings need to be taken with a grain of salt. If a ski manufacturer is going to produce two skis only a millimeter apart in width, then I’m guessing that there’s differences in construction giving the two skis two different personalities.

If you get the Genesis, either this year’s or last year’s graphics are screaming for a Look Pivot Forza binding. (@Philpug ) ogsmile

Last edited:
TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
You ARE a smarty pants! Yes, the Genesis has 'freeride rocker' and the Envy has 'all-mountain rocker' and flatter tail. Guessing the Genesis would be a bit more fun. Perhaps an upgrade on the Envy...Perhaps more of an 'advanced' ski because it plays in powder more easily?

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
And thanks for rec on bindings! I use Dynafit tech bindings, but only because I have aspirations of touring, and they seem to do well at the resort for me...but perhaps that's something I need to look at, again....

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You ARE a smarty pants! Yes, the Genesis has 'freeride rocker' and the Envy has 'all-mountain rocker' and flatter tail. Guessing the Genesis would be a bit more fun. Perhaps an upgrade on the Envy...Perhaps more of an 'advanced' ski because it plays in powder more easily?

:DMaybe....but it also seems to fit the characteristics you’re looking for a bit better. Carbon added to skis can give some nice stability, too.

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks for that add!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am 118 lbs, 5'4" and ski the Liberty Envy in a 167. It is an AMAZING ski. Super fun in powder, especially good in the trees and yet holds a mean grip on firm snow too. It is indeed really easy to ski.

I love my Envy skis, but I was told by our local retailer (who sold them to me) that I would like the 2018/19 Genesis even better, that they changed a bit for this coming year. I said "how?" and he replied that he'd skied both and that they are very similar but the new one is a little smoother and more powder vs all mountain oriented.

Honestly, I skied all kinds of powder on the Envy over two seasons, from fluffy thigh-deep to deep but heavy first-tracks bliss and all in between. Hard to imagine it getting much better. You can't really go wrong with either one.

However, one consideration may be that the Genesis you are looking at is already shorter than the envy and so the extra tail rocker will likely make it ski even shorter comparatively. You say you like to "rip" so maybe the shorter length will feel less stable at speed? On the other hand it may be compensated by the carbon in it.

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Jerez, thanks for that. Great to hear. Yes, maybe the more 'advanced' feature of the Genesis is the added carbon, which makes it easier to 'charge', i.e. more stable at speed. Though, sounds like the Envy grips and slays for you at higher speeds?

Do you feel the 167 in this ski is a good length for you? I agree that the more rockered Genesis might make it ski short. Both sound like fun skis!!

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
And just to clarify, the Envy has *some* tail rocker, right? Not completely flat?

TS
jcat

jcat

Booting up
Skier
Haha...I was waiting for that.

And regarding *skis*, as Jerez says, that one inch can be more if the skis are very rockered....but still probably not a big deal.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Haha...I was waiting for that.

And regarding *skis*, as Jerez says, that one inch can be more if the skis are very rockered....but still probably not a big deal.

I too was waiting for someone to say it jajaja.

Regarding skis, no 3cm really does not make a difference and in fact most skis do not measure their stated length. Most are equal or shorter. Even if they do, its more about ski design and construction not just length where you find the biggest differences. If its close to the same length I would not worry about it.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
3cm is not significant between skis . That's only 1.7% of the 167cm ski length. It's a little over an inch.

3 cm could be very significant when measuring other things ..... :)

Also, don't forget that the 3cm additional length gets cut in half so the ski ends up only a half inch longer in the front and half inch longer in back of the ski.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
3cm is sure noticable to me all other things being relatively equal.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
We're still talking skis here, yes? ;)

I am no longer sure but either way, I am in the camp that says 3cm doesn't make enough of a difference, regardless of the topic.

Sponsor

Staff online