• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you try to generate a dramatic "pulse" at the fall line?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
...or do you prefer to even out the pressure through the turn so there is no pulse?
What do you do to get the pulse, or what do you do to spread it out?

Do you seek to maximize the pulse in one type of turn and to minimize it in another?
What's the goal in getting that pulse, and/or of spreading it out?

Does any of this apply in bumps? On ice? How about powder? Steeps??? Trees?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I try to keep my pulse in check. Max around 200 minus my age although I'd hazard a guess it gets over that in the bumps from time to time.

I assume you mean like a slalom skier who produces a short, intense GRF at the fall line to propel their CoM across the hill.

No. Not skiing at anything like the performance required.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this vision of LF sitting in an armchair with a scotch while DH makes dinner, herself cooking up the next knotty ski school post to torture us.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's something I've played with a few times, but not the way I usually ski. And even then, I really feel it as a "pop" when the pressure is released coming into transition, now as a "pulse" when the pressure is at its maximum.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
No pulse I suppose is park and ride. I like doing that with the objective of getting from one high edge to another high edge as quickly as possible. Especially fun when riding with snowboarders who are doing much the same. They seem to like it. I’ve not encountered skiers that like doing it. It’s a blast in anything but trees. Blast in bumps too if they aren’t too big or hard to overcome my core strength.

The pulse thing in the fall line, that’s this idealized turn I learned from PSIA. I do it when I clinic, or in exams, because I think I’m supposed to. The gradual tipping to max edge at fall line, then gradual untipping to transition. I have to be painfully patient and it’s work because I have to think about it.

Otherwise, the pulse is dictated by where I want to go, in what terrain. By terrain, I also mean where the fall line is relative to where I want to go. Much more pragmatic; keeping track of where the pulse is is a waste of thought.

A pulse is gotten by releasing the turn

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
No pulse I suppose is park and ride. I like doing that with the objective of getting from one high edge to another high edge as quickly as possible. Especially fun when riding with snowboarders who are doing much the same. They seem to like it. I’ve not encountered skiers that like doing it. It’s a blast in anything but trees. Blast in bumps too if they aren’t too big or hard to overcome my core strength.

The pulse thing in the fall line, that’s this idealized turn I learned from PSIA. I do it when I clinic, or in exams, because I think I’m supposed to. The gradual tipping to max edge at fall line, then gradual untipping to transition. I have to be painfully patient and it’s work because I have to think about it.

Otherwise, the pulse is dictated by where I want to go, in what terrain. By terrain, I also mean where the fall line is relative to where I want to go. Much more pragmatic; keeping track of where the pulse is is a waste of thought.

A pulse is gotten by releasing the turn
Strange, you have described the way I like to ski, but I would not describe it as a pulse. What I like to do when given the complete freedom to turn how I like without terrain or other constraints is to obtain the minimum turn radius and maximum turn force possible for my given speed at an apex that I put (place in time and space) when my skis are in the fall line, but I build to that maximum smoothly not jerkily; it's not park and ride, it's increasing then decreasing, then repeat.

A pulse to me would be to gradually increase at a rate that would not achieve the maximum possible at the apex, then when close to the apex increase very suddenly and decrease extremely rapidly.

In a turn that is not purely carved, I see the pulse turn as a variation on the short radius non-carved turn, typically seen with the pulse slightly below the the point when skis are pointing straight down the fall line. Variation on a variation: have the skis lock in at the moment of pulse impact. However, I cannot really say much more, I'm proud of myself when I practice my short radius turn, as I must do to improve my bump skiing. I pat myself on the back when I do that, because most of the time I'm having fun playing at making high-g carved turns and not practicing my short radius turn, let alone playing with locating the pulses in it.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@LiquidFeet must have gotten some waterski coaching to generate this question. Slalom waterskiing definitely has a "pulse". They even named a ski after it. Once you have established your body position out of the buoy, you push some extra pressure forward and drop for more lean right before the wake. This generates more cross course speed and angle getting you earlier to the next buoy.

I might add more pressure and ski angle in the middle of a turn on snow skis if I detect an obstacle in front of me or decide to change bump lines late but it's not a particularly smooth or pretty activity. Sometimes if the skis are very lively, it can be a fun way to generate some rebound for a quick turn. But for me and many other skiers, smoothness is critical for making max performance turns and a pulse mid turn does not make things smoother.

Eric

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Honing in on your ski pulse is like finding your breath in yoga. Seems like an easy task but it takes work and concentration.

TS
LiquidFeet

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have a clarification, since there is not much traction for this topic. Maybe more will contribute.

This "pulse" in the thread title is a distinct build-up of ground reaction force/pressure at the fall line or just after it at apex, which then is released quickly. It is a high underfoot pressure from the platform in the snow that's pushing back against the stacked skier. It disappears fast. Its maximum expression and its ending may seem to be close in time to each other, thus the term "pulse."

Seeking to create or experience this high pressure moment is one thing. Seeking to spread out this high pressure so it doesn't appear and disappear so quickly is the alternative. What are the reasons for both, if you are a skier who does one ... or the other ... or both?

The question assumes groomer skiing, but can be expanded to cover other terrain options and conditions.

Anybody think about this stuff? Racers? Instructors? Engineers who can't get off the analytical channel?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
clarification
How is pulse different from a rebound?

Maybe for clinicing or personal training, I can see someone seeking a pulse. But, in recreational skiing, I can’t imagine it. Any pulse that happens would be on account of a tactical objective, like staying in some corridor, or getting around a tree.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m really looking for as smooth a buildup and release of pressure as possible. My observation and experience is this leads to smoother and more fluid skiing, whereas a distinct “pulse” of pressure building and release looks and feels choppy and often erratic, and overall more prone to loss of control. I’m not trying to emulate 70’s hot-dogging.

With shorter radius turns and bumps, I’m still looking for smooth, just quicker but still smooth.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is what I had in mind for pulse. In or close to fall line, use of GRF for lateral displacement.
BNA8q2.gif

The next three I see as more as rebound. Each a little later from the fall line and more spread out in time. Commonly more vertical to manage, more contribution from pole vault. Although they all use a rapid build of GRF so maybe it's not that different other than DIRT....?
OMjEwQ.gif

p8pR0m.gif

ROmM9Y.gif

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gates vs no gates? Sure, more of a pulse with the intent of getting around a gate as quickly as possible.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
This is what I had in mind for pulse. In or close to fall line,
The next three I see as more as rebound. Each a little later from the fall line and more spread out in time.
Whatever the analysis of fall line, these are pulses or rebounds I would do for tactical reasons only. But, I would describe myself as an all mountain skier, not a racer. Perhaps racers intentionally ski this way for purposes of training?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Creating - No. To quote JFB: "try to not give pressure to the mountain, but receive pressure from the mountain". Basically be soft and let the turn shape create the impulse.

Impulse - Yes. Force applied over time is impulse and to move the body across the hill you need this.

What JF is talking about is to not push into the ski "manually" but let the turn shape create it, i.e. geometry.

Watch this slo-mo here, watch the ski bend appear when the body's trajectory meets a gripping ski, without any pushing...

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Whatever the analysis of fall line, these are pulses or rebounds I would do for tactical reasons only. But, I would describe myself as an all mountain skier, not a racer. Perhaps racers intentionally ski this way for purposes of training?

Personally:
Wanting rebound for short turns on steeps. Typically the steeps will be icy runs winch-cat groomed daily and then scraped back to core by the tobogganers generally armed with wide skis. The skis are redirected through the top part of the turn and then edge increased into the fall line until the skis grip and provide GRF. The description here fits well.

Not wanting it for wider, pure carved turns. Want to simply get propelled across the hill and try to be as smooth as possible - it gets a bit too exciting with sudden bursts of GRF.

Also no in the bumps. But perhaps may try some different tactics this season.

Sponsor

Staff online