• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do you try to generate a dramatic "pulse" at the fall line?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Speaking for myself as an amateur ... as though responding to a poll.

do you prefer to even out the pressure through the turn so there is no pulse
It depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Do you seek to maximize the pulse in one type of turn and to minimize it in another?
Not type of turn so much as type of terrain and state of mind.

Does any of this apply in bumps? On ice? How about powder? Steeps??? Trees?
  • Bumps, sometimes. More pulse if they're easy and I'm feeling frisky. (Pulse can be an enabler for dolphin turns, for example.) Less otherwise.
  • On ice, maybe, but it's about modulating the entry to and exit from the pulse, so there are no pressure changes that are too sudden and thus threaten to break the edge away from its tiny trough.
  • Powder, definitely. Especially if it's deep. Pulse is key to getting the skis up and light.
  • Steeps, not as much. I find myself avoiding any strong push back; instead I absorb and tuck, as though on an invisible bump. I want my skis on the snow; otherwise I'm sky-diving. The pitch itself provides the lightness in transition. Steep bumps - yikes no.
  • Trees, absolutely not.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
When you do,it all starts with the transition, as seen in the very nice video

They tell us to always look further back in the turn in MA - often the issue starts earlier than the result.

^^examiner is using a more sudden pulse to actually break his skis grip for a brief time - hence the snow spray.

I don't think so, Francois. He flexes to help manage the rebound and is light on his skis at the float. He uses this to begin to redirect the skis then starts applying edge as the skis come into the fall line. Hence the snow spray sideways as the skis engage.

Anyway that's what I see.

Can watch the full 24 second clip here in youtube and slow it to 0.25 speed.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This is the slow guy here. Trying to interpret 2 pages of new speak.
What is being called 'pulse' today was the 'jet' in a previous lifetime? The skis are turning then the edges are set into the snow causing the skis to push or jet forward with the captured energy to help initiate the next tun.
The jet turn really had nothing to do with intentionally putting yourself in the back of the boot, it was all about capturing the energy between ski and snow and using what today is being called the 'infinity move' to move to a balance position over the skis.
Is this the basics of what you speak of as a pulse turn?

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
not thinking while i ski always works best for me.
so maybe or not.

Just noticed - your 666th post.

666.png

Appropriate for 2020. :)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think it is quite what you are talking about, but once in awhile I enjoy doing hard edge sets to a "bounce" on smooth steeps with grippy snow. I know I'm breaking protocol when I do it that way.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
He flexes to help manage the rebound and is light on his skis at the float.
He’s like the tennis player, light on the feet and in ready position. Again, it’s all about the transition.
Not sure what all this has to do with pulse and when we would use it.

Trees, absolutely not.
I’d say that there are times that, if you don’t use a pulse and get a lateral displacement, you’d run smack into a tree.

B.utters

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
It depends on the terrain and what I want to achieve. To make short tunrs look more exciting or on steep terrain then I'll try and create more steering angle before I engage my edge to produce a pulse. If i'm on flatter terrain in a medium or short turn and want to feel some flow then I'll aim to balance against my ski quite early on in the turn to go smooth and very round.

Paul Lorenz describes the differences pretty well in some of the Projected videos which are worth a watch if you are looking to be able to mix between the two styles of turns

Sponsor