• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Do people still do this?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Very true.

I used this as a drill for a few female Intermediate skiers at the last Jackson Hole Gathering. They noticed my track went "a little uphill before each turn" as they coined it. Once they were able to make that move they both noted the transition was easier into the next turn. I noticed the CoM moving latterly more. (success !)

I think of this move as guiding the skis to "cut under" the CoM as it travels along on its own path.
Alternatively, I think of it as "overcompleting" a turn.
When the skis are above the CoM on the hill, voila, one is in the new turn by default.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
This little maneuver shines when used before the first turn. Many of you probably do this and don't even think about it, if not try it.
From a traverse or even straight running and you choose to begin linking turns settle into a little pretrun and and see if it doesn't ease the initiation of that first turn. This is not rocket surgery, just a nice little aid.

Was going to ski this afternoon, but 45* and rain just didn't sound too inviting. Oh well.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
you can get into your first turn with out any of that, you could even do it on straight ski but most people werent good enough to do it on straight skis.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Back in Killy's day, Killy's coach, Georges Joubert called that a "jet" turn, and that's the jet for which Jet Stix were named. It's not really taught where I work but a more subtle for is. We teach the projection of the COM downhill across the BOS and the corresponding edge change to initiate the turn without up-unweighting. On the telemark side, that same move is called a "trust turn" because you commit your body to the turn and trust that your skis will follow.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Back in Killy's day, Killy's coach, Georges Joubert called that a "jet" turn, and that's the jet for which Jet Stix were named. It's not really taught where I work but a more subtle for is. We teach the projection of the COM downhill across the BOS and the corresponding edge change to initiate the turn without up-unweighting. On the telemark side, that same move is called a "trust turn" because you commit your body to the turn and trust that your skis will follow.

Nahhh, A jet turn is entirely different. Think squirt.

I had Jet Stix on Rosemont boots. (Look Nevada bindings too ;-) Such were the times.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Cal's correct, according to my first ski school director, who was a former French national team member. There was no preturn, which is what PSIA called the little hook before the turn, in a jet turn, just an edge set, which sent the skis forward before they went around into the new turn.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stand corrected. I do find the similarities strong, tho.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The preturn was and is a set-up for a turn, you are establishing an active foundation to start a turn from. If anything you are increasing the arc of the upcoming turn.
The Jet Turn, as Cal and Kneale spoke to, was an absorption move at the top of the turn. An entire generation screwed that up very badly too. They didn't read the book.
---------------
A bit off the topic but worth mentioning.
If you haven't ever read it, and are interested where a lot of modern skiing came from, read "How to Ski the New French Way" By George Jobert. It is a landmark book in our sport and a lot of it is still very applicable.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You would send your COM down the hill and let your feet come around and catch up at the bottom of the turn.

One of the most beautiful physical sensations in the world, right there!

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
What I love about the Killy video is watching how Killy stands on his feet in his leather boots rather than hanging on the equipment. It’s beautiful to watch the way he uses his ankles. Most recreational skiers today would be on their bums without their supportive hard plastic boots.

It’s a very fluid and balanced skiing style. Beautiful. So much more ankle range of motion than what we use today.

James

Out There
Instructor
Here's Killy in plastic. Beaver Creek 1992. This is from the Sybervision tape. I'd highly recommend picking one up off ebay, or the company I think is still selling them. Actual piano music on this, not synthesizer like most of it.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A good example of a real Jet Turn in there at 2:30. That was how it was supposed to be done.

Sponsor

Staff online