• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Diner food

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Posted this on the funnies before.

1662159339480.png

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Was a short order cook at Besecker’s Diner in Stroudsburg, PA in HS the summers of 1988-89…Worked the morning shift (6am-2pm) with the owner’s son Mickey. I was known the “pancake guy” in the am….and the “burger guy” at lunch.

The memories of how “hot” it was in that small diner kitchen in those summer months….brutal.

*My favorite shift meal (as a HS kid)….was a cheeseburger and fries/cheese/gravy….
Ahhh, the person to ask: for the diners with the huge menus, how do they keep all the stuff fresh that they need to be able to offer so many different types of meal items?

Also, this May while driving across the US we ate in this diner on old RT 66 in Santa Rosa, NM. Got a good and huge plate of mexican food there for cheap price.
comet ii diner.jpg

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I typically hate breakfast unless it involves back bacon and hash browns. But now I've learned of something called huevos rancheros. Where has this been all my life?!??
Huevos Rancheros FTW. Breakfast burritos are pretty hard to beat as well. As wonderful as eggs any style, bacon, hash browns/home fries and toast are, having grown up in So Cal, my favorite diners are called taquerias. The best ones look like real dives or are a counter at the back of a carniceria.

OK, now I'm hungry and it's only 8:00 am.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
If we want to start naming good diners NJ has a bunch of them starting with the Summit Diner, Summit, NJ. The OB Diner Point Pleasent, NJ - The Bayway Diner Linden NJ (Was on TV with Guy F. Diners Drive Ins and Dives). - The Tick Tock Diner Clifton NJ, The Bendix Diner Hackensack NJ. The Arlington Diner North Arlington NJ. The Americana Diner East Windsor NJ. and I could go on and on but I will stop now.

Nailing it......:yeah:....Have been each one of these except for the Arlington Diner. Too many diners/greasy spoon places in NJ service great food to name.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Nailing it......:yeah:....Have been each one of these except for the Arlington Diner. Too many diners/greasy spoon places in NJ service great food to name.
Not enough on the Philly Mainline. There's Minella's, but they have raised their prices lately to approach all the bougie brunch places nearby like Terrain and White Dog.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Not enough on the Philly Mainline. There's Minella's, but they have raised their prices lately to approach all the bougie brunch places nearby like Terrain and White Dog.
I remember seeing the trailer for Silver Lining Playbook and blearing out "That's the Llanerch Diner!". The Manoa Diner is another classic. A little trivia, the Downingtown Diner is where the original "The Blob" was filmed. I would bypass that for The Coffee Cup, if you go there, get the "Italian Mess".

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
New Year's Day, 1990 (or 89? not exactly sure). Bedford Diner in Brooklyn. Everyone was hungover, customers, staff, EVERYONE. It was super busy. It took seemingly forever to get our food served. I was having grilled cheese and fries my go to hangover meal. When it finally came THE PICKLE ON THE PLATE HAD A BITE OUT OF IT!! The waiter snatched it off the plate and brought me another pickle. I ate the sandwich and fries, no doubt on a dirty plate that went right back to the grill with the pickle from last customer. NOPE to the pickle.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
New Year's Day, 1990 (or 89? not exactly sure). Bedford Diner in Brooklyn. Everyone was hungover, customers, staff, EVERYONE. It was super busy. It took seemingly forever to get our food served. I was having grilled cheese and fries my go to hangover meal. When it finally came THE PICKLE ON THE PLATE HAD A BITE OUT OF IT!! The waiter snatched it off the plate and brought me another pickle. I ate the sandwich and fries, no doubt on a dirty plate that went right back to the grill with the pickle from last customer. NOPE to the pickle.
When you have a hangover a pickle probably is not the best thing to eat anyway. Seems like it would make me sick and throw up.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When you have a hangover a pickle probably is not the best thing to eat anyway. Seems like it would make me sick and throw up.
Pickles are the best hangover food. All that salt in the juice. A friend told me that.

Reactions: Ogg
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Steak and soft scrambled eggs were my favorite 3 AM drunk food. I remember ...err recollect going to the Scotrun Diner after a late night of drinking at the Swiftwater Inn.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Steak and soft scrambled eggs were my favorite 3 AM drunk food. I remember ...err recollect going to the Scotrun Diner after a late night of drinking at the Swiftwater Inn.
Ooh I've been there. We usually did that kitschy, breakfast-in-a-pan place up the road during morning hours

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Is there a difference between after drinking food and hangover food? I think after drinking food is to settle you down and hangover food is when you can't settle down and you need relief.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Pickles are the best hangover food. All that salt in the juice. A friend told me that.
Yep, I actually love pickles but wasn't about to eat the one they brought me after I sort of complained that they gave me slightly used one first time..

NEVER eat anything they send you after you have complained about something, even if the complaint is 100% justifiable.

Sponsor

Staff online