• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Different qualities of different FIS SL skis

Lusti Northeast

Booting up
Skier
I have had a lot of race experience over the years. I was trained at Burke Mt. and Stratton Mt. in Vermont when I was a teenager. I was a race coach at Stratton for a couple of years after racing the A squad from Stratton; and raced on the pro circuit with some ex team mates who were also from Stratton and fresh off the US team.
I have been lucky enough to have skied on some very high horsepower skis which are not your run of mill 'race stock' from any ski shop as what you will usually find offered if you are not a sponsored racer.
With that said, I will gladly say that my Lusti FIS Slaloms are in a different league from the best ski shop 'race stock' I have tried and without naming any particular manufacturer, I'll just say that not many skis you are going to find available for anyone to purchase will come close to the horsepower of the 165 FIS Lusti SL. Especially if you have the aluminum VIST speedlock plates.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
How many Blossom or Lusti FIS SL have been on a WC podium? How about a EC, NorAm, or even NCAA podium? Oh ya, none. That might be a clue.
If the criteria includes Eastern Cups or NorAms or NCAA then it has to include Continental and National level races in Europe - particularly Italy and Central Europe.

Those two brands have nearly no presence of any kind in the US, so if we're going to judge, it seems judging by markets in which they are sold makes sense.

I don't know anything about skis. You do. Maybe those two brands are worse in this regard. Fine.

But going only by the World Cup level and US and Canada does not make sense to me as evidence.

Lusti Northeast

Booting up
Skier
I raced on real deal WC skis; they were fabulous skis and the only thing in common with anything you would see at a ski shop was the top skin cosmetics. Otherwise it was a completely different animal and I will state that the skis were only good for around 10 days of training before they went dead. So pay no attention the man behind the curtain over in the corner. Any skis you get from a shop based on what the top skin says on a racers feet in the WC is just an illusion.

If you are serious about high horsepower skis, then you would be served well by a pair of Lusti FIS SL skis with the VIST aluminum plates. They are that good. But I would not recommend them to any older 'weekend warrior' type racer/skiers; they will make demands which may well tire you out after a half dozen runs. But if you are looking for the ultimate in pop and holding power, go for them. Otherwise I'd suggest the RC 165 Slalom skis which are going to give you 85 percent of the FIS but with a much more enjoyable relaxed set of demands; yet still hold on hard snow tenaciously. My buddy Peter who is a superb high level skier uses the RC SL 165 and its his favorite out of dozens of skis he has from various other manufacturers.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I raced on real deal WC skis; they were fabulous skis and the only thing in common with anything you would see at a ski shop was the top skin cosmetics. Otherwise it was a completely different animal and I will state that the skis were only good for around 10 days of training before they went dead. So pay no attention the man behind the curtain over in the corner. Any skis you get from a shop based on what the top skin says on a racers feet in the WC is just an illusion.

If you are serious about high horsepower skis, then you would be served well by a pair of Lusti FIS SL skis with the VIST aluminum plates. They are that good. But I would not recommend them to any older 'weekend warrior' type racer/skiers; they will make demands which may well tire you out after a half dozen runs. But if you are looking for the ultimate in pop and holding power, go for them. Otherwise I'd suggest the RC 165 Slalom skis which are going to give you 85 percent of the FIS but with a much more enjoyable relaxed set of demands; yet still hold on hard snow tenaciously. My buddy Peter who is a superb high level skier uses the RC SL 165 and its his favorite out of dozens of skis he has from various other manufacturers.
Good to know. I am not an ex-racer, or intend to race Masters or Nastar, however I frequently see observations that a SL-type ski would be a useful tool to have, with a FIS SL being the preferred precision tool. If the Lusti FIS SL is more horsepower than I need, but the RC 165 would give me the precision without being as demanding I might give it a thought.

I have a similar thought about e-Race vs e-Race Pro, if I wanted more variety of turn shapes/sizes than a SL ski.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With that said, I will gladly say that my Lusti FIS Slaloms are in a different league from the best ski shop 'race stock' I have tried and without naming any particular manufacturer, I'll just say that not many skis you are going to find available for anyone to purchase will come close to the horsepower of the 165 FIS Lusti SL. Especially if you have the aluminum VIST speedlock plates.

You know…I’d be more careful with statements like this if I were you… :ogbiggrin: It is a tough crowd around here. ;)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Yup, as we previously discussed, true race stock is not available to the public, nor would most folks enjoy then: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/any-input-on-blizzard-fis-sl-skis.23696/page-3#post-743484

Ultimately, the goal of a race ski is to go fast and win, be it at local Junior or Masters races, NCAA events, FIS NorAm or EC competition, on up to the WC.

It is quite evident which skis are being used in these races and which are winning.

Along with long time alpine racing stalwarts like Atomic/Salomon, Rossignol/Dynastar, Nordica/Blizzard, Head, Fischer, Volkl, and Stockli, even newcomers like Kastle and Van Deer are being raced to some degree at every level and are even getting on podiums.

Where are Blossom or Lusti in this mix of race skis? Have you seen any in use at your local Junior, Masters, and NCAA races? How about reports of their success at higher FIS levels--races that document what skis are used and are winning? If Blossom, Lusti, and other boutique makers are effective and competitive for alpine racing, why are they not better represented at races and on podiums?

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Have you seen any in use at your local Junior, Masters, and NCAA races?
If usage or success at that level is evidence of quality, are you confirming you know that's not happening at the equivalent levels in Italy, Czech Republic, etc? You don't seem to be.

Again, I don't know skis. But your statements of evidence about which brands seem pretty tenuous.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This argument, race stock FIS, vs. Civilian 'in the rack FIS', and non- FIS SL's has gotten silly. Lusti, Head, whatever...it really doesn't matter to 99.5 out of 100 of people here asking.

For a rec skier, why buy a FIS SL of any type? If you're dialing in and refining skills, they're an amazing tool. The higher the skill set the skier has, the more versatile they'll be, but for most, a race constructed carver will be more fun, versatile, and do most of what folks here are trying to do.

FWIW, I've had an off the rack Head FIS SL and really enjoyed them. Since then, I ski a lot on eRace Pros or eSpeed Pros teaching, training, etc... specifically because they're more versatile for my needs... YMMV, and that's perfectly fine.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Obviously, at the higher international levels it is easy to see what equipment each racer is using, as that information is published by FIS. Since I don't race at international locales, I have no direct knowledge of what is going on at all the local levels around the world.

Fortunately, I do get so to see hundreds of racers every year from Junior, Masters, NCAA, and FIS levels in the US and Canada. Some of those racers, coaches, and techs are visiting from other nations. Fortunately, there are lots of opportunities to chat with folks about how things are going in their home countries. Likewise, when the WC come to town, as occurred last February, there are further opportunities to speak with knowledgeable individuals regarding current racing trends. In addition, I get to routinely speak with friends in the industry--some of whom live and work in Europe, and we often chat about race gear innovations and changes.

So do I have direct knowledge of what is going on with local racing in, "Italy, Czech Republic, etc", nope, but I have a pretty good general idea of what is working in alpine racing.

If you have so much interest and emotion about this topic, why don't you take the time to do some research on it, as a lot is available on the FIS website.

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
Instead of starting a new thread, I would try my question here first.

What the standard or average amount of camber on a FIS SL ski, in the standard men's length 165cm?

I have a pair of SL skis I bought used and I'm wondering if they are shot.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

What the standard or average amount of camber on a FIS SL ski, in the standard men's length 165cm?

By the time you can measure a change in camber, the ski had flexed out long before that.

Feel.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I'd think what would matter would be what the camber was on that particular pair when new.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
If you have so much interest and emotion about this topic, why don't you take the time to do some research on it, as a lot is available on the FIS website.
I have no horse in this race and know nothing about skis. It's just in my nature to be doubtful when I hear arguments based on shaky foundations. You clearly know about some brands that are good. Cool. I think you should leave it at that.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My first set of used SL's were beat to s@&t and still skiable maybe still missing a bit of pop.

My second set are from @ScotsSkier amazing condition and for my limited usage still going strong.

I have skied new civilian SL and find them ok but not as predictable or nice skiing as the beat to S@&t Dobermans (note this are rough skis in the range of how do I fix this damage threads).

Race skis come in different flavors that from soft to stiff to suit the skier. Some brands are more bias one way than the other, some brands intentionally build various selections. Only an industry insider can give the down low here in what to look for, for what years.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I never wanted a FIS SL as much as I did when I saw these...
1701347745986.png

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier

According to soothski, it varies from 9-12mm

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Tell you the truth the lack of tip protectors worries me a bit but I believe i can live with that…yeah…I’ll have a pair, thanks Dynastar.

If you win em, I spot you a set of the Volkl's ; I've been putting the SL "fang" guards on all my rec skis bc it drives the academy kids and masters nuts thinking I have some special stock. :)

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never wanted a FIS SL as much as I did when I saw these...
View attachment 216935

We brought back the Pivot 15. Let’s campaign to bring back the Chicken Hearts. Even if it was just an aftermarket red plastic shell, I’d buy’em.

@Philpug , please delete these posts. Nobody else can see this contest.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We brought back the Pivot 15. Let’s campaign to bring back the Chicken Hearts. Even if it was just an aftermarket red plastic shell, I’d buy’em.

@Philpug , please delete these posts. Nobody else can see this contest.
We were just with Dynstar last night, I asked of there was going to be a special Rockerrace to go on these. :popcorn:

Sponsor

Staff online