• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Different qualities of different FIS SL skis

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Can someone talk me out of a Stockli FIS (165cm)? May have found one reasonably priced…

James

Out There
Instructor
Amphibious truck?
Still, that’s a brutal drive this time of year. We’re only a few weeks away from the Titanic anniversary.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Amphibious truck?
Still, that’s a brutal drive this time of year. We’re only a few weeks away from the Titanic anniversary.
No from the OP me they would be for myself. ;) Although the way my F150 has been behaving the past few months I’m not sure it would make it from NJ to PA or that I should be buying more Stockli skis at the moment. :D

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can someone talk me out of a Stockli FIS (165cm)? May have found one reasonably priced…
If new, you should buy them now. If used, you run the risk of having them flexed out or having little usable edge left, depending on how they were used. But still probably a decent buy depending on the price.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping this thread. Has anyone had any experience with Lusti FIS SL?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't go with a Lusti or Blossom FIS or any other boutique makers--stick with vendors who have had significant documented alpine racing success: Atomic/Salomon, Dynastar/Rossignol, Head, Blizzard/Nordica, Fischer, Volkl, Van Deer, Stockli, and maybe Kastle: https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/alpine-s...asoncode=2024&disciplinecode=ALL&gendercode=A

Are Salomon and Atomic FIS SL ski identical the same way Rossi/Dynastar are?

Another question: Nordica FIS Sl WC plate vs FIS SL Dept WC plate-seems the difference is only 4 mm -10 vs 14 mm plate-both Marker Piston. Is there any reason to pay 150 euro more for the Dept plate if one only freeskis?

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't go with a Lusti or Blossom FIS or any other boutique makers--stick with vendors who have had significant documented alpine racing success: Atomic/Salomon, Dynastar/Rossignol, Head, Blizzard/Nordica, Fischer, Volkl, Van Deer, Stockli, and maybe Kastle: https://www.fis-ski.com/DB/alpine-s...asoncode=2024&disciplinecode=ALL&gendercode=A
I'm in no position to disagree with Doc, but I will anyway. If you're looking for a dedicated race slalom ski, his list of skis to consider is a good one. My experience as an old duffer who raced up to Masters with no success whatsoever but who still likes to ski on a real slalom ski is that the Blossom FIS SL is a dandy ski. Good quality and fun on the snow. Since the US no longer has a distributer new ones will be hard to find so I guess my defending them is academic. Have only touched a Lusti ski so I have no basis for an opinion about their SLs, but Phil seems impressed by Lusti generally. I won't go into the problems a "boutique" maker would face trying to get their skis on the feet of any high level ski racer.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
How many Blossom or Lusti FIS SL have been on a WC podium? How about a EC, NorAm, or even NCAA podium? Oh ya, none. That might be a clue.

How many Junior or Masters racers use Blossom or Lusti? Again, none that I have seen around here.

On the other hand, Atomic/Salomon, Dynastar/Rossignol, Head, Blizzard/Nordica, Fischer, Volkl, Van Deer, Stockli, and even Kastle have all recently been on WC podiums....

I've tried quite a few 165 FIS SL; the worst FIS SL I've used is the Blossom, as it did not have great edge grip on truly hard race surfaces, did not offer vibrant rebound energy, and was not as stable at speed as other 165 FIS SL skis I've been on. ScotsSkier also tried a FIS Blossom--IIRC, he was also not overly impressed. Are they OK to free ski--sure, whatever, but they do not excel at what they are designed for. I have yet to try a Lusti FIS ski, but from the other Lusti skis I have tried, I am not holding my breath that they will offer anything that other vendors don't already do in a superior manner.

And no, I am not in any way against new vendors getting into alpine racing--look at how well VanDeer/Augment/Croc and even Kastle have done in the past season or so. Like ScotsSkier, I have been on their race skis and they work, despite being newcomers to the alpine racing at every level up to the WC.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
I can't help but wonder if more constructers would be included and meet your criteria of documented alpine racing success if the list went down to, say, Continental Cup level (at least in Europe) which is still quite elite. And covered five or ten years.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Some of that information is available if one delves deeply enough into the FIS stats--no significant changes in successful major alpine racing vendors in the past 5-10 years, except obviously no Van Deer or Kastle until the past year or so, and 10+ years ago Hart and Elan still earned some paltry FIS points....

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of that information is available if one delves deeply enough into the FIS stats--no significant changes in successful major alpine racing vendors in the past 5-10 years, except obviously no Van Deer or Kastle until the past year or so, and 10+ years ago Hart and Elan still earned some paltry FIS points....

Kastle has plenty of wins tho including overall World Cup but I guess you mean recently.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
-no significant changes in successful major alpine racing vendors in the past 5-10 years, except obviously no Van Deer or Kastle until the past year or so, and 10+ years ago Hart and Elan still earned some paltry FIS points....
No other brands even in Continental Cups in the last 5 to 10 years? Interesting.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"Kastle has plenty of wins tho including overall World Cup but I guess you mean recently."

Yup--I raced on Kastle back in the 80's and am well aware of their prior success. However the question jt1000 asked clearly specified the past 5-10 years.

I have not searched every single Continental Cup race for the past decade--however, I did look at quite a few EC, Nor Am (both part of the Continental Cup series), and NCAA results, which are concordant with my commentary above.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online